LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 formula LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998

So i sold my formula kept the motor and almost complete wiring harness. Now i have to decide on what to do. I want to be a cheap *** and try to make it a stand alone with two computers-one for the body and one for the motor, but afraid of ending up with a mess on my hands. The other option is to have someone else make it a stand alone. Last and most expensive is to have someone mate my two wiring harnesses together to make it a plug and play. any suggestions before i tackle this project?? anyone know someone who could do it right for cheap?? thanks!!

Last edited by TRANSAM/FORMULA; 03-05-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

You can do it right for cheap. Take wiring diagrams for both vehicles and make it work
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

So your going to remove the AWD from it? I had a '98 as my company car and you cannot get a LT1 into that engine bay without some major rework and Fab. Its not as easy as you think. I looked into it since they were going to give it to me for free and the only drop in engine swap were all V6's. Good Luck if you tackle it
Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Yes i want to keep the AWD. I love the smarttrak system it's just having all that traction and no go is keeping it from it's true potiential. I know i need a different oil pan and mounts. If needed i can do some welding and cutting but want to make it as simple as possible...well vs cost.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's no easy, but it's much easier than Racin is making it seem like. Plenty of people stuff V8s into S-Series vehicles! Yes, even the newer body style. You'll have to do a lot of mods though, like running a specific oil pan for 4WD S-10s, modify the heater box to clear the exhaust manifolds, C4 Corvette radiator, TPI thermostat housing. Cut the frame if you want to use your LT1 manifolds, or if not then you have to run 3rd Gen exhaust manifolds. I don't remember exactly what year or if the motor matters but for some reason 89 TBI comes to mind. If TPI and TBI manifolds are the same then it must not matter.

As for making a standalone engine setup, you're on your own there! Not sure if it's possible with the electronic trans and stabilitrac
Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

i figured that i would eliminate the whole egr system and maybe get some headers?? maybe it would do away with some wiring. i live in florida and there is no emission laws so i really don't need it. my trans am doesn't have it. is there a certain brand or is the stock manifold off a older f-body a better fit?? "stilldreaming" had informed me that the awd system works on it own?? i would like to find someone who has done the wiring harness themself to clue me in. all though not to many have done the bravada V8 swap. surpisingly since the typhoon and cyclone were such beasts. well thanks for the input so far!!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

The manifolds are just stockers, and my buddy who's swapped numerous V8s into S-Series has said that the V8 Swap Headers are an absolute pain in the ***. You have to modify the steering shaft, by cutting the firewall and making the slot wider towards the right side of the vehicle so you can shift the steering column over. And if the AWD isn't comp controlled, then all the better! S10Wildside (who's the man behind the LSx PCM for LTx, the thread I made that's ongoing) has an AWD S10 Pickup with I think an LT1, which he used the Bravada setup due to it being a higher spline count compared to Astro/Safari AWD vans

Send me an email and when I get to work I'll try and get all the info for you on the swaps, my buddy has the bible book on it
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
It's no easy, but it's much easier than Racin is making it seem like. Plenty of people stuff V8s into S-Series vehicles! Yes, even the newer body style. You'll have to do a lot of mods though, like running a specific oil pan for 4WD S-10s, modify the heater box to clear the exhaust manifolds, C4 Corvette radiator, TPI thermostat housing. Cut the frame if you want to use your LT1 manifolds, or if not then you have to run 3rd Gen exhaust manifolds. I don't remember exactly what year or if the motor matters but for some reason 89 TBI comes to mind. If TPI and TBI manifolds are the same then it must not matter.

As for making a standalone engine setup, you're on your own there! Not sure if it's possible with the electronic trans and stabilitrac
Sorry but that sounds like a lot of work to me.

Hey, its your car I personally just don't think it worth it. To each his own...

XX ED XX made is sound like a direct swap which it is not is all I meant.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

to others it may seem like a waste of time and effort. to me i have a LT1 with wiring and computer and a 1998 bravada that has a bad motor...mmmm. the smarttrak system makes the bravada a bravada. it could be pouring rain up a hill and i can floor it and have no tire spin and just hook. i have always wondered what another 100 hp could do. my problem is that i don't have serious cash to blow on the build and i want to find the cheapest but reliable way to make this swap. how does the stand alone kits work? will the tranny work without the engine plugged in? how much of a pain in the *** is it to mate both computer wiring harnesses? will gauges work? so far i know that i need an oil pan, mounts, radiator and i think i can use my stock manifolds from my 1996 formula. any info is appreciated thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go get a haynes manual on both cars and just compare the wiring layout..that part is one of the less difficult things ..a majority of the wiring will probally be the same colors. If i ever get around to swapping the ol lt1 chevelle to a 6.0 ls style motor..then the lt1 and wiring will definitely be going in the blazer...that'd be nice..a small suv with decent power! i would definitely say go for it..its always worth it in the end
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a guy here that has an LT1 stuffed into one.. it's still AWD.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Racin96ss
Sorry but that sounds like a lot of work to me.

Hey, its your car I personally just don't think it worth it. To each his own...

XX ED XX made is sound like a direct swap which it is not is all I meant.
Fair enough, I'll put it this way then. To stuff a V8 into an 4WD S-Series you need to modify, or buy the already modified, oil pan. Otherwise you just need to get a heaterbox from an AC-less vehicle, get 3rd Gen TBI manifolds (it is TBI specific ones), run the Corvette radiator I mentioned, get the V8 swap motor mount brackets and 2.8L mounts. You technically don't even have to modify anything if you buy the oil pan, so as far as V8 swaps go it's relatively painless. Now doing what ED wants to changes things up greatly He'll want to keep the AC I presume so that means heater box modifying, moving the condenser forward more than it is so the C4 radiator can fit, and then there's the whole computer bit.

Speaking of which ED, my friend is fairly certain that your Bravada's ABS is stand alone and so you should then be able to run the LT1 PCM how we talked about. He thinks it'd be easier to have the LT1 PCM run everything instead of trying to have 2. The BCM should pick up the rest of the stuff.

Aside from it being a 4dr, I think an AWD S Series would be fun as hell Heck, GM think it's a good idea as they've done performance AWD numerous times!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

I live in FL so AC is a must!! i didn't know you have to modify the heater box?? must be a clearance issue? has anyone done this before? what about lines, any modifications?
I have access to ALLDATA through my job and i have printed all the connectors and wire diagrahms. So if i can use one computer that would be alot less complicated. They have the same connectors going into the computer. Once i pull the motor out ( along with the grill, headlights, hood, fenders, core suppport......). i will get a good look at the wires and should be able to figure a good portion of the wires by labeling them when i take them off. i did this halfway through pulling the LT1 but got drunk and lost the tape!! lol. I always crave to put engines in vehicles that they don't belong but never had a GM motor die on me. So i think this might have to be the opportunity. Good thing i have my Trans Am to get me around till i finish it!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the_merv
There is a guy here that has an LT1 stuffed into one.. it's still AWD.
Really? That's sweet. Any links to pictures of the swap??
Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phirepower
Really? That's sweet. Any links to pictures of the swap??
It's S10Wildside. He has info on it here (it is bad ***)
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...0Wildside.aspx
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

I came across this guy's serious truck. S10 awd lt1... http://www.texassseries.com/photoplog/index.php?n=536
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea those are some good pics, especially of the manifolds showing how much clearance you gain. Yes, you do sacrifice some power due to the restriction it introduces, but it's worth the lack of hassle
Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Looking at the rust on the headers i assume they are from 3rd gen. Looks like he did a good job on it either way. As far as restricitons go i am considering maybe a 100hp shot of nos just to get the beast really moving when needed. I won't be beating the crap out of it so i really don't need the power all the time. Well my only concerns with the project is the wiring and i know if i wanted to spend 900 bucks i can have them make it a plug and play but that a whole lot of dough!! Looks like i will be chasing some wires!!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

for the OP,
you need a 4wd oil pan. and it will fit.
i had a 355 in a 96 noma (2wd), with 4.3 mounts and plates. stock manifolds.
my friend has a 1st gen baby blazer with a 350 and a 1st gen s10 with a 406. all were 2wd, both had shorty headers on them and 2.8 mounts.
i like the 2.8 mount setup better.

you might have it pull the water pump off the motor to put the motor in, i had to, then you can put it on.
i also used the stock 4.3 serp accessory.

the truck when i bought it had a vortec 350 bottom end, with L98 heads and tpi on it. they used the stock 4.3 harness, and added 2 more injectors to it,and used a 96+ obdII computer. had the stock crab style dizzy on it with a crank sensor
i went carbed (which was a dumb idea), but it can be done pretty easy. its been a while, but its easy, and does not need a 900 dollar harness...

aaron
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

yeah i would like to keep the fuel injection and ac...nice truck though i am sure it moves!! the difference is the awd and the efi. have to have the best of everything. it kinda a daily driver with a few days off here and there for the TA to stretch the legs. here are some pics before i go and tear this bravada apart.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998-rsz_typhoon3.jpg   LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998-rsz_typhoon2.jpg   LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998-rsz_typhoon1.jpg   LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998-rsz_typhoon4.jpg  

Quick Reply: LT1 into AWD Bravada 1998