Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Compression Heads and Oil Usage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Compression Heads and Oil Usage?

I noticed that after I put on my PRC 5.3 stage 1.5 heads that I am now using about 0.5 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so, previous to installing the new heads my Z28 never used a drop of oil.

The heads are milled to 61CC. Can the high compression cause some additional blow by the rings or should I be looking at the valve seals? These heads only have about 3000 miles on them.

Can the higher compression cause additional oil usage?

The heads were professionally installed by Speed Inc. Please note that I think our sponsors have done a good job with their products and services. In no way am I expressing any dissatisfaction with them.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by equandt
I noticed that after I put on my PRC 5.3 stage 1.5 heads that I am now using about 0.5 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so, previous to installing the new heads my Z28 never used a drop of oil.

The heads are milled to 61CC. Can the high compression cause some additional blow by the rings or should I be looking at the valve seals? These heads only have about 3000 miles on them.

Can the higher compression cause additional oil usage?

The heads were professionally installed by Speed Inc. Please note that I think our sponsors have done a good job with their products and services. In no way am I expressing any dissatisfaction with them.

Thanks for the help.
no the higher comp ratio will not make it burn oil.

sounds like valve seals to me.if heads were the only change. did you tell them how much lift youre cam was?

if they put them on they should have known.

you need to make sure the seal clear the reatainers at full lift
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I told them what cam was in it. The cam is a TR220-114. I think it has a 0.551" lift. Not real aggressive.

The heads were new.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

being i know how fast it can become a flame fest here. i will say no more than call them.

tell them the problem and see what they say. i run afr 59cc heads with .040 cometics and shift at 7300 with no oil burn to speak of.

it is not the comp ratio causing the oil burn. that is all i know

did you change the crank case ventilation at all?

i know from the l1 to ls6 there is a diff but only in how it vent's but with just a head change that should not. if you are pressurizing the crank case that would do it. but just heads would be seals
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. No change in the crank case ventilation. I'll look at the valve seals first.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would start by taking off your throttle body. Take a good look inside, if you see oil in there it's from the PCV and you need a catch can.