Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE during Cam Swap....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BEWARE during Cam Swap....

Just a reminder for all those first-time cammers out there.... take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. I did my first cam swap last weekend and was so excited that everything was going back together, I overlooked a critical mistake. While reinstalling the front cover, I accidentally pushed the front of the oil-pan gasket back and broke it, but didn't realize it. Thinking everything was ok, I continued to button-up the engine and and go along with the install. I DROVE THE CAR FOR THE LAST WEEK, WITH NO OIL LEAKS AND EXCELLENT OIL PRESSURE then today I drove 70 miles to my tuner and 1.5 miles away, my car started pouring smoke out of the engine compartment. I pulled over and it looked as if an oil grenade went off under my car. After checking the oil I limped the car the last mile to my tuner's garage. 6 hours later after lifting the engine, dropping the k-member and oil pan then replacing my oil pan gasket, my car runs again. By the grace of God, there was no damage. Long story short, PLEASE learn from my mistake and TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

man that sucks!! could have been a whole lot worse though
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man...I always carry two extra quarts of Penzoil Platinum in my car just in case. lol I'm doing my first cam swap sometime within the next month and I'll keep your experience in mind. lol
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

glad to hear no damage was done.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, at first I was pissed that it happened. Then I looked on the shop floor next to my car and there was a LS1 block sitting there that had a broken Rod Bolt, and the dumbass that owned it drove the **** home over 10 miles. So instead of replacing connecting rods and getting the crankshaft turned, now he has a destroyed crank, cam, pistons, and a cracked block. It could always be worse.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for sharing. Very glad to hear that you didn't damage the motor.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Glad you got away with no damage. What did you dyno with your new cam and which one was it?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Wow you got lucky there!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

I just installed my timing chain cover and was checking to see how this could be possibe. What did you do, beat the cover on with a hammer? I don't see how you could do this easily without realizing something is wrong.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

damn man, glad you got it running again. i still remember that dude leaving the shop towel in his oil pan.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn dude im glad it didnt hurt you motor any! people need to listen to you cause this could happen to anyone
Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I just installed my timing chain cover and was checking to see how this could be possibe. What did you do, beat the cover on with a hammer? I don't see how you could do this easily without realizing something is wrong.
No, I didn't. Had I beat the thing on with a hammer, this would have led me to believe that something was wrong. It went on smoothly, with no excess pressure needed. The guys at RPM told me it's actually a common mistake caused by not lining up the cover correctly and it takes almost no force to destroy that thin aluminum gasket.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Packy
Glad you got away with no damage. What did you dyno with your new cam and which one was it?
Still no numbers yet, as it turns out that Ryan (the shop owner and tuner) had to leave with a pretty bad case of pneumonia. Soon, though...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice save dude! patience and a good set of eyes is always critical with this kinda stuff. its really easy to get excited and want to rush, unfortuanatly that just cost a buddy of mine a motor. he was doing a H/C install and was using the new prc 215 heads (which were JUNK btw) and texas speed told him he didnt have to worry about PTV with his cam and... well. he did. he started it and heard some noises but figured it was just valvetrain nose. he drove it around the block and it shatered a piston and windowed the block. :/

oh and destroyed his brand new heads.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Damn, that sucks bad. If you don't mind me asking, what cam was he using?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kmracer
he was doing a H/C install and was using the new prc 215 heads (which were JUNK btw)
What about the heads was junk? Casting quality? Machining? Ports? Chamber?

You have to take personal responsibility for PTV clearance, no matter what anybody tells you.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by W es 6
No, I didn't. Had I beat the thing on with a hammer, this would have led me to believe that something was wrong. It went on smoothly, with no excess pressure needed. The guys at RPM told me it's actually a common mistake caused by not lining up the cover correctly and it takes almost no force to destroy that thin aluminum gasket.
Do you got any pics you can share...?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 SS HUGG
Dang man...I always carry two extra quarts of Penzoil Platinum in my car just in case. lol I'm doing my first cam swap sometime within the next month and I'll keep your experience in mind. lol
penzoil? mobil mean anything?lol
Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with HavATampa. Murphy's law must have been in effect here. If you set the cover down on the protruding upper face of the pan(where the pan gasket resides) this can't happen. You have to do multiple things the wrong way to get this result and you have to work pretty hard at it to end up with this near disaster. A cam swap assumes more than a minimal degree of mechanical skill, but if you work at it hard enough you can do as the old cliche says: "Screw up a wet dream".
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with HavATampa. Murphy's law must have been in effect here. If you set the cover down on the protruding upper face of the pan(where the pan gasket resides) this can't happen. You have to do multiple things the wrong way to get this result and you have to work pretty hard at it to end up with this near disaster. A cam swap assumes more than a minimal degree of mechanical skill, but if you work at it hard enough you can do as the old cliche says: "Screw up a wet dream".

Search this Thread