Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Dupli-color paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dupli-color paint

I have a Black 2002 TA, and I have the hood cancer that seems to be common with most GM paint. What I am asking is, how close do you think the Jet black duplicolor paint would be, to the factory black? Black is black to a point, but I think it might not have the same shine, and if I clear coat it, I think it will shine more than the rest of the car, but if anyone has any suggestions I am open to them..

Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Launching!

If you want it to last you wouldn't dare use spray bomb anything simply due to the lack of UV protection.

*EDIT*

You do realize your gonna have to spray the whole hood, right. Seeing as how you obviously have no idea what your doing so doing a dry edge blend with your clear is out of the question and IMO that is a ghetto *** way of doing things anyway, and it just shrinks up after a month or so and you can see it anyway. Oh, and that whole idea with the mixing paint and putting it into a spray can would only be good for small touch up. My sincere advise is if your not gonna do it right don't do it all, and at least pay someone to do it right.

Last edited by cvalliere; 03-05-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

well i have never tried it but the paint supply house in my area will mix a ppg paint to match and put it in a areosole type can for you to spay for those that dont have or want to have the whole hvlp compressor set up. not sure how it works or if it has a shelf life.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

If you don't want to use a professional spray gun, use the Prevail Sprayer. I've got one right now, but haven't used it yet. Everyone I've talked to that knows what it is, swears by it. They say it's easier than a spray gun, and produces fantastic results. I'll be using it on my bumper cover on my Sierra here soon, and then maybe for some work on the Z28 if all goes well. However, the job on the Z28 may be big enough that I just go ahead and use a HVLP gun.
http://www.ippnet.com/EN/main/products/15529/16267.html
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02_ramair_ta
Black is black to a point
..if only you knew how utterly wrong that statement is.. haha.. there are thousands of different variations of black

Originally Posted by cvalliere
If you want it to last you wouldn't dare use spray bomb anything simply due to the lack of UV protection.

*EDIT*
My sincere advise is if your not gonna do it right don't do it all, and at least pay someone to do it right.

Originally Posted by Rebelphotog
If you don't want to use a professional spray gun, use the Prevail Sprayer.
i've seen some decent jobs with the Preval's... and i've seen some HORRIBLE jobs with them.. never what I would call "good"... having said that.. i'd still use one over just a plain old spray can.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

he might be talking about the pre-mixed quarts they sell. their only like 22$ and you still shoot it thru a paint gun. and their pre-mixed quarts of clear.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshprescotttttt5
he might be talking about the pre-mixed quarts they sell. their only like 22$ and you still shoot it thru a paint gun. and their pre-mixed quarts of clear.
Werd....I figured that's what he meant too...I sure hope so anyway!

Swat
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

even if he was talking about that paint.. he might as well just use a spray bomb...
Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know what hood cancer is but if it's pealing or faded clear then you can fix it with paint. Copy down the color code of your car and pick up some "good" paint to match. As someone else said, black is not black. Sand, prime, sand, seal and shoot it. If you don't have the equipment then take it to someone that does. It should come out looking like new. The last thing you want is a hood that's a different color than the rest of the car.

LSXNOVA
Old 03-11-2009, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Okay, Ricer is right, Black is not just black.. whoa.. my hood looks grey against the rest of my car. The over all, the finish looks great, no runs, orange peal, or anything like that. The paint I used is the pre-mixed Qt size dupi-color can, with a clear coat, NOT just some spray paint in a can, I have a compressor, and spray gun, I wasnt trying to screw it up worse than it was.. haha..
So much for a cheap easy fix, I am going to just pay the money for the paint I need at the local paint supply store, its not that bad for just a Qt, but hell 22.00 is cheap!!! So if it would of worked, I would of been happy..
Ill post some pics later
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 AM
11 Second Club

Also, sorry if anyone got the wrong idea, I was just testing that paint, I needed to paint the hood either way, and if it would of came out the same color, then score, I save alittle.

Hood cancer, that was just my term for the condition of my clear coat pealing off my hood. Funny how it didnt peal anywhere but the hood... but I guess engine temps, and the sun beating it down on that GM paint does it??

Also Thanks for all the ideas, and advice, Sorry I wasnt very clear on what I was talking about, or my plans..
Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

With these cars.. The cheaper way is always the shittier way. Nothing you will do will save you money. It will benefit you most by just paying someone.. Preferably a professional. To paint it.... Or else with the little knowledge you seem to have.. the paint shop will be dropping F* bombs at you when they have to sand the spray can **** off. To prep it for the real deal.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint is pretty cheap depending on color. I use that dupli color stuff a few hours ago to paint before i sprayed my red on my hood. For the price that stuff is great. I plan on using it in the engine bay of my '96 Z28.

If you are on NAS i would ask one of the guys at the auto hobby shop where they get there paint or if they sell it there?

Quick Reply: Dupli-color paint