LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Z06 brakes on lt car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 brakes on lt car

Any one done this? I am curious if i can run the 14 inch rotors and 6 piston calipers with 17 inch wheels?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it, there was a site I had bookmarked (that I believe is sadly no longer around) that had a lot of brake kits for very very reasonable. One was the dual caliper Vette setup with shiney red calipers lol Was only like $550 or $650!

So yes you can, but I think you'll need to run whatever rims were on that year Z06. It may be the 18" Front 19" Back or the 19"/20". If it's the older 17"/18" though, you're in the clear

PICS WHEN THEY'RE ON! Assuming you get them

EDIT: Here's info from a site I found

Complete C5 Conversion Kit

This 13 inch conversion comes complete ready to install, allowing you to convert from the stock 10.5 system. Each set comes assembled with new calipers, specially vented rotors that advance airflow and quiet, low dusting ceramic pads. check wheel clearance with template to assure fit.*17 rims minimum*
So you may need 18s on the front as well, but you'd be able to keep (assuming you have them) the 18s on the back.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Good gods, Formula350 you just will NEVER stop will you... Wrong and inaccurate information galore, yet AGAIN!

I have the C5-Z06 brake conversion on mine and not ALL 17" wheels will fit. You need to get a hold of the proper template tohold against teh back of the wheel hub to see if you have the proper clearence.

On a C6-Z06 brake setup (what the OP mentioned) I can GURANTEE you that you will need at least 18" wheels, but you ALSO still need to use the template to hold agaist the rear hub to make sure it will clear properly with that wheel. The only *KNOWN* wheels are ones made for the C6-Z06, such as the original stock wheels or any number of aftermarkets spec'd for them. But, you will have the check for backspacing and see if you need a spacer or not to runthem properly on a F-Body. Also don't necessarily trust anyone when it comes to wheel fitment, as some people don't care if they have rubbing or have to grind bump stops or whatever. Only YOU can determine what is rigth for your car, so if you are looking at buying wheels spec'd for another vehicle you really need to get all specifications and figure out what is needed for putting them on your car.

Far to many people tell others, "Sure, Yeah, it'll work, it'll look great, get some pics", yet they are NOT the ones having to put out cash for new wheels, spacers, dealing with rubbing and all the other potential technical issues.

To the OP, yes there was a few guys that put the C6-Z06 calipers on thier 4th gens, but they did go with very expensive custom wheels in the few cases I know of. They even went through the hassles of fabbing in the rear brakes as well, which is really needed for the right 'look' as well as performance as a package, but at the same time they needed to do some work in regards to the propotioning front/rear to balance it out. Ie, please look into it into detail before you go ahead and just buy some parts, as it is quite a bit more involved to do a complete and balanced setup, with the right wheels and everything else all involved.

Formula350, again, please try to have some restraint from just blurting out whatever is on your mind, because, again, in this case it was less than helpful and in general was a distraction more than it was information. It was convoluted, error-laden and full of half-thoughts and more enthusiasm than accurate detail. The rest of us get entusiastic too, but some of us take the time to evaluate, think through and give as much detail as possible.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Point me to the wrong info... And I'd have linked to the site explaining everything that's needed, but kind of hard when they're NOT A SPONSOR!. Just because it's not complete info, doesn't mean it's wrong, or even innacurate! I didn't say "yep, you just slap them on and go! If you can quote me where I said that you can, I'm all... eyes.

I'll PM him it, that make you happy? It has all the info you posted, along with printable templates.

EDIT: OK since that they don't mention it being for the 3rd Gen, so there's no 4th Gen template :\
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula wasnt wrong

You can run the c5 stuff on 17s and you need 18s to run the c6 z0 setup.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I've read, all 17" wheels will not work. You have to ensure that whatever 17" wheel you're running is large enough.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Wow well didnt want to start a fight. Unfortunately the guy selling the stuff doesnt know what it is but i can link to you the post in pt.net.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=434857

And I was going to buy these brackets

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140304830203

Now in the pics on the ebay auction I am pretty sure those are 18's

But I just bought a set of c5 magneisum wheels 17 x 8.5 front 18 x 9.5 rear

And I would like to keep the wheels.

I also appreciate the info helps the other people on the site as well.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTC
From what I've read, all 17" wheels will not work. You have to ensure that whatever 17" wheel you're running is large enough.
Yep...not all 17's will work on the c5 z setup. The C6 Z brakes are a whole nother beast which requires even bigger clearances.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Pic of the wheel
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
Yep...not all 17's will work on the c5 z setup. The C6 Z brakes are a whole nother beast which requires even bigger clearances.
From the research Ive done. It looks like when you go C6 Z stuff you have to worry about wheel spoke clearance alot cause it uses pistons on both sides of the caliper so the caliper is fatter, than the C5 stuff.

The CTS-V stuff was discussed in great detail, Id guess youd be looking at similar problems with spoke clearance.

I plan on running a C6Z rotor with a C5Z caliper.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

The edit you gave was the WRONG info... He asked about C6-Z06 stuff, you posted C5-Z06 info...

Originally Posted by Formula350
EDIT: Here's info from a site I found
Next you posted info without any knowledge, ie:

Originally Posted by Formula350
So yes you can, but I think you'll need to run whatever rims were on that year Z06. It may be the 18" Front 19" Back or the 19"/20". If it's the older 17"/18" though, you're in the clear

So you may need 18s on the front as well, but you'd be able to keep (assuming you have them) the 18s on the back.
In other words you didn't offer ANYTHING to the post other than scratching you head with a "I think, but don't really know" answer... Again, NOT HELPFUL.

You just don't get it. To spread conjecture and erronous 'thoughts' is not helping anyone. You post in damn near every post and it is 98% this kind of stupidity. Grow up, get a clue.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
The edit you gave was the WRONG info... He asked about C6-Z06 stuff, you posted C5-Z06 info...

Next you posted info without any knowledge, ie:

In other words you didn't offer ANYTHING to the post other than scratching you head with a "I think, but don't really know" answer... Again, NOT HELPFUL.

You just don't get it. To spread conjecture and erronous 'thoughts' is not helping anyone. You post in damn near every post and it is 98% this kind of stupidity. Grow up, get a clue.
Wow man this is a thread to help out the OP and not bash a member that was trying to help. Keep these kinda posts up and I am sure you will get banned. Unless you have something nice to say . Don't crap on someone's thread like that it's not the way things are done or should be done. Send him a PM if you are pissed.

Just my .02 and to the OP my apologies for this message, but sometimes people on this board need to leave.

Also, as to the brakes, I do know that the A/R TTM and TTII's will not work in the 17in size as it has been tried and discussed on here. If you have those rims or are looking to get them, if not then don't worry bout it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Dave
Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Also, as to the brakes, I do know that the A/R TTM and TTII's will not work in the 17in size as it has been tried and discussed on here. If you have those rims or are looking to get them, if not then don't worry bout it.
uh, did you not see the picture he posted of the wheels he already bought and wants to try and keep???
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
uh, did you not see the picture he posted of the wheels he already bought and wants to try and keep???
Yeah, yeah I know. Just making sure he knows as tons of us fbody guys have or get these style rims down the road. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Judging by what i see on this page. 18 inch front minimum

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-9...e-upgrade.aspx
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I love TTII's Dave the wheels on your car look seksi
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Wow man this is a thread to help out the OP and not bash a member that was trying to help. Keep these kinda posts up and I am sure you will get banned. Unless you have something nice to say . Don't crap on someone's thread like that it's not the way things are done or should be done. Send him a PM if you are pissed.

Just my .02 and to the OP my apologies for this message, but sometimes people on this board need to leave.

I think some guys ran spacers on the front to make C5 Z brakes work, but C6 Z I doubt you could make it fit (without a lot of effort)

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Judging by what i see on this page. 18 inch front minimum

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-9...e-upgrade.aspx
Yep, you won't be running 17 inch wheels with C6 Z brakes. Since you already have your 17 inch wheels, you might consider C5 brakes ED.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

this may help a little, copied from the WS6 store and here is the link as well
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2028
93-02 WS6store F-Body C5 Brake Conversion Kit
[WS6] $732.99

Click to enlarge
93-02 WS6 Store F-Body C5 Brake Conversion Kit

This complete kit includes all hardware and components needed to complete the C5 brake conversion on any 93-02 F-Body.

Kit Includes:

(1) Set- UMI Performance?s Aluminum Conversion Brackets
(1) Set- New GM PBR Pressure Cast Corvette Front Calipers
(1) Set- Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads
(1) Set- Front Corvette C5 WS6 Store Slotted Rotors (Zinc Plated)
All new GM mounting hardware including new banjo bolts, guide pins, washers and rubber boots
Detailed Installation Instructions
Note: To install brackets both LT1 and LS1 spindles require modifications. This simple modification can be done while the spindle is on the car and requires a small amount of cutting. LS1 models require less cutting than LT1 models.

Benefits of Running the C5 Set Up

1. Larger Rotors: The larger rotor absorbs and radiates more heat, the C5 rotor is 1? larger then the LS1 rotor and 2? larger then the LT1 rotor.

2. C5 Rotors are directional unlike the LT1 and LS1 set ups. C5 rotors feature fins designed to advance air flow allowing better cooling.

3. Many brake pad and rotor options are available for all types of driving

4. The C5 calipers are pressure cast not gravity cast; this helps increase caliper life

5. Unlike other brake set ups, C5 components can be purchased at any parts store. This eliminates down time when an item may fail or require quick replacement.

Requirements

This kit requires a minimum of a 17? wheel for clearance. All 1996 and newer 17? wheels will fit correctly with this kit. If you are running a different wheel set up please research fitment before purchasing.

The following wheels will NOT clear with the conversion kit, they may clear with the correct wheel spacers:

1. Enkei Win- 17? x 9.5?
2. 93-94 SLP Firehawk wheel- 17? x 9?
3. Borbet Type T- 17? x 9.5?
4. Forgeline RS Reverse Rim
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm well I got the 13 inch kit already. So i guess i will buy the mount brackets and run it

Quick Reply: Z06 brakes on lt car