Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

drag rims ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag rims ?'s

hey guys im trying to decide on what rims and tires to order for a new project. it is a street/strip car and will only have one set of rims and tires of it so i want something stlish but yet at the same time good fro the strip... im trying to decide between prostars, (had them on my old ls1 and loved them) draglites, and some other mickey thompson drag rims.. i forgot all about the rim size and backspacing so i will need some help with that as well... im lookign to get some pictures to help me decide...Thanks Gregg
Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What car are they going on?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

95 camaro
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

to the top
Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

I offer the Billet Specialties Street Lites. They are made for the Street And for the track as well.

We offer a few options. A lightweight Bolt on 17" wheel, You can use the 17x7 for the front and a 17x11 for the rear with a drag radial.

We also offer a 15x10 rear that requires no grinding, And a 15x4 front that will require just a little bit of grinding on the front caliper. These wheels are made for the Street And the Track. The MT drag rims you are talking about require some Sever grinding, And are not made for the street.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just "rims"? Why not get the whole wheel?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For sizes you will want your fronts to be 15x3.5 and your rears to be 15x10 with 7.5" backspace.

I like my Prostar/Greg Weld setup, it's good for a budget setup.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Teching In

These new designs fit without grinding. 15x4 front and 15x10 7.5" backspace.

Certified for both street and strip.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

Whats the Weight on the New welds. the people i have asked have all Never given me a Correct Answer.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Whats the Weight on the New welds. the people i have asked have all Never given me a Correct Answer.
I have not actually put a set on the scale, I will next time we get a set in. From what WELD told us, they are the same as an Alumastar or Magnum.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

There is no way they are that Light. Look at the Material thickness on there center.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

camaro 396... i love that setup.. i used to have 15x10s and skinnies up front but in prostars but i love the front setup those are nice.. where do i get a pair of the fronts??
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

What are these called? I think if these could be had in a 3.5 with 1.25 backspacing, the might fit the ls1 cars.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Weldstar RT. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Above pictured is a new billet specialty street/strip wheel which was damaged. This is supposed to be a "street" wheel? This shows that no wheel is impervious to damage. I've seen people boasting to choose their wheels based on the fact they can be used as a street wheel...with only months of history from sales, I'd have to second guess the streetability factor.

I don't think that 15's big/little combo's are very good options as an everyday "street" wheel. Any slick/skinny combo drastically affects handling and braking. Keep this in mind when considering any type of big/little combo.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-06-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Steve, Please Stop.

You do not even Know what happened to the wheel, How it was Mounted or Anything.

Guess what though, The customer Was not told the wheels is not Covered or he has to Buy a new 1 which you have said to MANY people that have Damaged Bogarts. He is getting a new wheel, And this wheel will be Disected and will find the Cause. Out of the Thousands of wheels that have been sold This is the ONLY set that have done this.

Now i will Say, It's Funny you try and go there when i Can post a Picture of A FEW of your REAR 15x10 wheels SPLIT at the SEAM. I have 1 at my shop that you told a customer that he would need to buy a new one. and i dismounted the Slicks off of when i mounted up his new Billet Specialties.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

Dragwheels,

No need for rebuttal. Simple put the wheel failed. We repair wheels no differently. The material thickness of these shells if if I'm not mistaken are actually THINNER then our P1 drag shells fwiw. So far Billet Specialties have two wheels that failed which are considered street wheels.

This just shows that no wheel is impervious to damage as stated.

...and for the record, we never turn customers down from support of our products. Post pictures of our wheels if you like. I won't tell customers they are daily use street wheels. As discussed, 15's are terrible for daily street use so I won't recommend them.

When I get folks asking for street/strip wheels, even though we can and do build them, I suggest them to use the Billet Speciality wheels. From 15 years of history our P1 failure rate appears to be much better than what I've seen demonstrated thus far from Billet Specialty setups.

It's funny how you've questioned welds RT weights when they probably are not far off than what you resell. By the looks of them, they actually appear designed more towards a street wheel. Even though they are not SFI approved as you have boasted in the past for whatever reason...they are probably more durable.

I think you're going to find with the setups you're picking using those radial tires you're suggesting, you're going to have more failures coming along. Time will tell. I've got about 15 years of history with about 25 non-bolted wheels failing and 5 bolted wheels specifically from an F-body wheel setup. No one likes failures, neither do I. It is part of the business of harsh racing conditions and or using products as they were not intended.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

So you are saying that you have NEVER told a Customer that has had a Bogart Split they were **** out of luck???????

And you tell people that do not want your wheels to buy a economy wheel design, So in reality you tell them to Grind the hell out of there Brakes and that is acceptable.

The weld wheels Are heavier then the street lites and will run about the same pricing as a Set of Bogarts will. Jegs is over 400 a piece.

The Customer on TB was spoken to today, Jegs was the Seller of the said wheels and never Notified Billet Specialties of the Problem. Until the wheel is Back at Billet Noone knows what caused the failure. Maybe they were Mounted up And they seated the beads with Starting fluid, That is a NO NO and many know that, But some think that is the correct way to do things, Do you know how much PSI it puts into that Tire??? If that is the case, Where was it the Manufactures problem???? But that will not be known until the wheel is back at BS.

Billet Specialties Stands behind there Product 100%, Which in this case it shows they have as they went and Contacted the Customer Directly to solve the issue at hand and got him out a new wheel.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

I've never told a customer that had one of our wheels they were out of luck. If a wheel is damaged beyond repair or damaged to the point it doesn't make sense to attempt a repair then a new one is in order.

I tell people to consider economy wheels that are looking for a "race look" so they don't have to spend quite a bit more money on our street/strip or other higher dollar street/strip wheels. Which offer similar racing benefits without the high-cost of billet and expensive materials.

Many of them do not need ridiculous amounts of grinding whatsoever. Some need minor grinding. Your wheels do not fit directly...customers NEED to grind to get Billet Specialty wheels fronts to fit. At 1 5/8" backspace, they have too little backspace for my taste as it stands...if they use a spacer so they don't have to grind, its even worse! I'm not sure what you're getting at.

WOW, stating that the pictured wheel was damaged wheel from installing with starting fluid is a far stretch. I'm sure that will go over well with the customer or others reading this. I'm sure they will replace the wheels for the customer. It would only make sense. I don't believe Billet Specialties is forming the shells, I know where they are formed and material used. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-06-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Pat yourself on the back steve, You might know where the hoops come from, Considering there are only a few places to get them.

I stated That they could have been mounted that way. Problem is It will not be Known till The wheel is back at Billet Specialties and looked at. Til then It is Speculation and Not a far stretch.

Maybe the 2 other people i know with split bogarts will come on here and post about there failures, Then we will see what you have to say and what you said to them.

So when the wheel gets inspected ill post what the Issues were. Till then Keep thinking your Hoops dont Split ( they actully Flex on the tire machines also ) and ill Keep you updated with what they find out.

Quick Reply: drag rims ?'s