Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GPS Antenna location and Head unit control Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Antenna location and Head unit control Q

Where do you all have your GPS antennas? I wanted to put mine under my dash originally, but i think i'll break it taking it off. My intrusctions say it needs to be a clear veiw of the sky. So i was going to put it in the hatch, then i rememberd i dont have a hatch! I have an RK sportback lol. So wheres the best place? I guess under my windsheild on top of the dash?

Is it really only one single little wire that connects the sterring wheel controls to the unit?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Hi. I put my GPS antenna, which was a small 2in by 2in black box in the back corner on the passenger side against the a-pillar. My steering wheel controls were utilized by a small aftermarket PAC SWI-CAN2 that plugged into the steering wheel control behind dash, more than 1 wire though on mine.

EDIT: was referring to back corner of dash next to a-pillar

Last edited by SOMcockySS; 03-05-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is a pic of WhiteBird00's car for reference...

(Its the area under the driver's side of the upper dash)

I mounted the GPS antenna in the raised middle of that oval panel.

My XM antenna is hidden in the hatch itself:

Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your help! My instructions say to mke sure it has a clear view of the sky so i mounted it in the very front, very left tucked up against the a pillar, on top of the dash pad. I was able to hide all the wiring so you cant even see it, but if you happen to look at it it doesnt look bad. Good color, almost factory!

I've got it all wired up. Today im going to tackle the VSS as soon as i figure out what and where it is lol. After that, my steering wheel control adapter. Then its all ready to go in!