General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering fluid....how to drain it ALL out......

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Power steering fluid....how to drain it ALL out......

Whats the easiest way to drain ALL of it so I can replace it with new. Mine is 11 years old.

I'm assuming to run it all out I have to pour some new fluid in while its pumping dry so how much should I buy to sacrifice in the process, then how many bottles to refill it full?

I removed my factory cooler and installed my own tranny cooler to the system. I thought I drained it pretty dry, but it only took like 2 bottles to fill it back up. I let the engine run with the return line off and it was spurting out but I don;t think it all came out.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do what you did before, unhook return line while engine is running. Keep the resvoir filled, and turn the wheel from lock to lock, then back again. Repeat until clear. The system does not take that much to fill.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grimes
You can do what you did before, unhook return line while engine is running. Keep the resvoir filled, and turn the wheel from lock to lock, then back again. Repeat until clear. The system does not take that much to fill.
You mean disconnect the line that comes out of the rack, to the cooler, right?

The rubber hose that leaves the cooler and attaches to the bottom drivers side of the pump is the return line, right?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if i drained all of mine, but what i did is i got a funnel that drains things out of bottles.. connected a plastic piece to it, and drained it out, then refilled with new
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Relapse
I dont know if i drained all of mine, but what i did is i got a funnel that drains things out of bottles.. connected a plastic piece to it, and drained it out, then refilled with new
What?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Heres a write up I did a year ago, hope it helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ing-flush.html
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Heres a write up I did a year ago, hope it helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ing-flush.html
What I'm gonna do is take the line that leads from the rack (return line)......to my aftermarket cooler
.....remove that line from my cooler
.....put that end in an oil pan
.....start the engine while a friend keeps pouring new fluid into the reservoir
.....when it sprays out clear, ITS CLEAN
..........Then I'll take the line that connects to the bottom of the reservoir and drain that line clean and blow whats left in the cooler out.

That should do it nicely and shouldn't take but 10 minutes.

My fluid is 11 years old, its pure black. The turkey baster method would take 5 gallons of new fluid to start to get clear.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
What I'm gonna do is take the line that leads from the rack (return line)......to my aftermarket cooler
.....remove that line from my cooler
.....put that end in an oil pan
.....start the engine while a friend keeps pouring new fluid into the reservoir
.....when it sprays out clear, ITS CLEAN
..........Then I'll take the line that connects to the bottom of the reservoir and drain that line clean and blow whats left in the cooler out.

That should do it nicely and shouldn't take but 10 minutes.

My fluid is 11 years old, its pure black. The turkey baster method would take 5 gallons of new fluid to start to get clear.
Mine was pure black as well and 8yrs old, only took 2 quarts to clear it and fill it. I didnt have anyone to help me thats why I did it that way.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Mine was pure black as well and 8yrs old, only took 2 quarts to clear it and fill it. I didnt have anyone to help me thats why I did it that way.
When I put my aftermarket cooler on I used a heavy vice grip to keep the line pointed down into the oil pan I had. But I never drained the entire system, no time that day.

What chemical or fluid can be run through the entire system to further clean it out before putting the new stuff back in?

I'm alos buying a power steering fluid magnetic filter to put in-line on the return line back to the reservoir.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Alot of people use seafoam, but I dont wanna put any thing like that in it. I didnt add any chemical to it. I would think if theres any rubber seals in there then the seafoam may dry them out or somthing. At the dealer ship I work at we have a machine that does power steering flushes and it comes with a cleaner/conditioner and fluid. You can try searching for it on ebay or somthing but the company that supplies it for us is Wynn's. I dont think you'll find it though, they sell to dealerships only to my knowledge. But anyway like stated before mine came out crystal clear with no chemicals or additives.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

If mine comes out clear I'll probably call it a day too. Getting new fluid in there should last me a another few years before this pump goes. 11 years is pretty good for a PS pump.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Banned

Is the rubber line that attaches to the bottom of the reservoir on the drivers side, the return to the reservoir line?

Or does the power steering fluid leave the reservoir through that other metal line that goes into the rack?

I assume the metal line is where it leaves the reservoir????????

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid....how to drain it ALL out......