Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Dowel Pin broke off? Is it needed?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Cam Dowel Pin broke off? Is it needed?

Rebuilding an LS1 for a friend, when I took the cam sprocket off the pin broke off in the sprocket and cam. It came out of the sprocket but it's tight in the cam. I see it happened to alot of people on here, is it needed or can I line up the holes and tighten her down? If not can I knock the pin in the hole more and put in a new pin or is there a step in the dowel hole that stops it from going back more?? What are my options?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pin is case hardened. If it is broke off you might be able to get it out or a machine shop might. New pin is tapped in. It is used to more precisely align cam to sprocket so it could affect timing as the bolts have more slop in them.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Id probably bring it to a machine shop, if even a degree or two makes a difference with cam's, I wouldnt **** around with it. You could drill it out, and then get a new cam pin and press it in there. Its worth that effort to potentialy save your valvetrain.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
Id probably bring it to a machine shop, if even a degree or two makes a difference with cam's, I wouldnt **** around with it. You could drill it out, and then get a new cam pin and press it in there. Its worth that effort to potentialy save your valvetrain.
agreed. not an area to be lazy
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had it happen, You can buy a new pin through any GM parts counter, and press it in yourself, I didnt even try to take the old one out, just pressed the new one in on top of the broken piece.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
I had it happen, You can buy a new pin through any GM parts counter, and press it in yourself, I didnt even try to take the old one out, just pressed the new one in on top of the broken piece.
That's what I was thinking....So you're saying it is possible to push the old one in more and reinstall a new one right??

Cuz I tried centerpunching it and drilling it and trying to punch it out from the backside hole but it didn't make a dent
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
That's what I was thinking....So you're saying it is possible to push the old one in more and reinstall a new one right??

Cuz I tried centerpunching it and drilling it and trying to punch it out from the backside hole but it didn't make a dent

could try heating it up a lil - prob would have a hella time drilling a hardened dowel pin out
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't put heat on a camshaft past what a propane torch would do. Have you tried a carbide bit? That pin is tough, but it can be done.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
I wouldn't put heat on a camshaft past what a propane torch would do. Have you tried a carbide bit? That pin is tough, but it can be done.
I have access to a propane and oxygen/acytelene torch but I didnt want to mess with the temper or whatever of the cam...especially since it's not my car. I rather just knock the broken piece in a little ways and install a new one...I had quite a few GOOD hits on it by hitting it with a skinny punch from the backside and I don't think it budged so if I drilled it out it would still be a PITA to slidehammer it out and it would have to be PERFECTLY center if I tried to keep drilling it out till it's basically gone..

I just need to know if there's a step in the pin hole that the pin can be bottomed out at or will I be able to knock the pin into the cam more?? I don't want to be whaling on the pin for hours if it's bottomed out on a little step that I don't know about
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Dowel Pin broke off? Is it needed?