Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I knew this day would come Peeling Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I knew this day would come Peeling Clear Coat

Well, it sucks guys, but yesterday I was washing my TA and driving it around after finally getting her running again.
And I noticed something horrible.

The clear coat is peeling in two places, on the roof right behind the t-tops, and on the left rear corner of the bumper.

Yea I am pretty disappointed, I mean I know my car needs a paint job considering people in Corpus Christi have the driving etiquette of a baboon on speed.
Since I have moved here my car has gotten hit 3 times while parked
Twice in the front bumper spiderwebbing the paint and chipping the tip of my hood and once in the right rear breaking my taillamp and spiderwebbing the paint on my bumper

Anyways, you guys have any ideas for a quick fix while I save money to get her painted?

I bought an orbital waxer yesterday and I was thinking about hitting her with polish and wax and see how it turned out.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

do you have any pics?

If it is peeling then I wouldn't buff it, it may just make it peel more.

if you repaint the Sail panel (part of the roof behind the T-tops) it is more than likely going to bubble up.. but you may get lucky.

just save up for a good paint job, and live with it for now. I would invest in some Orange Cones or a butterfly knife.. Cones are for putting around your car and the knife is to cut the tires of the people hitting your car.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha cones and knife
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

nothin you can really do once its started.. just get it repainted
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Launching!

I have this too, mostly on my driver-side door and in the gap between the sail panel and fender. Do I need to get the door fully re-painted or just re-cleared?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

well look at it this way... your clear is peeling for a reason.. if its old paint it is usually because of a chemical breakdown of the clear itself.. so if you just redo the part thats peeling... what happens to the part thats 12 inches away from the peeling in another year? better to just start over with fresh stuff.. or you'll be "repairing" parts for a while
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ricer
well look at it this way... your clear is peeling for a reason.. if its old paint it is usually because of a chemical breakdown of the clear itself.. so if you just redo the part thats peeling... what happens to the part thats 12 inches away from the peeling in another year? better to just start over with fresh stuff.. or you'll be "repairing" parts for a while

X2
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would repainting the sail panel cause it to bubble up? i had mine painted last year and it seems fine to me. if you're referring to the glue bubbles i don't think the 93-97 cars ever had that problem. I heard that GM changed the company that supplied the glue for 1998 and thats when the issues started with the bubbles. FWIW i had mine repainted due to a different clear coat problem. i started seeing all these white dots in my clear coat
Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ricer
I plan to do the entire car. What I really meant was, do I need to have both the color and clear re-sprayed, or just the clear?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
why would repainting the sail panel cause it to bubble up? i had mine painted last year and it seems fine to me. if you're referring to the glue bubbles i don't think the 93-97 cars ever had that problem. I heard that GM changed the company that supplied the glue for 1998 and thats when the issues started with the bubbles. FWIW i had mine repainted due to a different clear coat problem. i started seeing all these white dots in my clear coat
ah ok... OP disregard my statement above
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ten32
do I need to have both the color and clear re-sprayed, or just the clear?
i'm wondering the same thing

Quick Reply: I knew this day would come Peeling Clear Coat