Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swazo's '64 Impala SS L33 TH350 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swazo's '64 Impala SS L33 TH350 swap

I have a 1964 Impala SS that I'm doing a full frame-off restoration/upgrade. I'm finally getting closer to getting my project underway after a few years of collecting parts, stripping the car down and getting everything either in epoxy primer and ready to paint or simply just replace. Tons of pics to come once I get moved into my new shop by next month.

After months of reading and reading and reading on mainly LS1Tech, I finally got the right LSX for my car today. I am also getting ready to add a lot more information to LS1Tech of my own

The mission goal for this car is it will not be a trailer queen. It has to be fully loaded with modern perks..... hidden behind the retro styling of the Impala. I want to be able to drive this car anywhere in North America without having to worry about dependability. I still want something damn quick at the sametime.

Engine:
I chose to go with the L33 for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that it's basicly a 327(ish) c.i. LS6, which goes along with the main idea of the car. This car had a 327 from the factory, so putting in a modern version of it does something for me I also chose to modify the L33 before it goes in and it will be getting a cam swap (224 or so w/ 112 LS), LS6 intake swap and possibly a set of BRP long tube headers (or hedders.... whatever) IF they resolve their fitment issues. I'm hoping/shooting for somewhere around 400 RWHP with a good dyno tune when all is said and done.

Mounts:
I'm going to fab my own motor mounts (likely S&P type) and either modify my trans x-member or fabricate a new one all together.

Harness and Accessories:
I'm also looking to do this swap as cleanly as possible but I didn't get a OEM harness with this engine, so I might either pick one up to modify myself for a stand alone setup with the proper length wiring to hide most of it, or go aftermarket.....preferably the first route.
The accessories are going to be a modified truck setup (so I can use the LS6 intake) or an F-body setup. What will be different about my setup is that I need to run 2 A/C pumps. One for the actual A/C and the other for an Engine Driven Compressor (EDC) for the air suspension. Either a pair sandens, or a york and sanden. Lots of options out there, though I'm still coming up with the cleanest/best looking.

Transmission:
I also chose to stick with the TH350 I already have that has a manual valve body, shift kit and hi-cap finned pan. I also have a 3400 stall converter. All with less than 500 easy miles. I've got the right VSS adapter from Digital Dakota and I still need the spacer for the flexplate, but it's pretty much ready to go.

Fuel System:
Pretty simple really. Either an aftermarket cell that's already sumped, or modify and OEM tank with an internal sump/baffel and internal pump. Corvetter FPR/Filter setup with polished hardlines and braided.

I'll be adding pics and info as I go, but my Gen III V8 swap has officially started
Old 03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Well, I had the L33 on a pallet in the back of my truck all wrapped in plastic. I don't have a new shop yet, and the vast bulk of my tools and the Impala are in a storage unit.

I just couldn't wait any longer to get the ball rolling, so today I pulled the front acc. brackets, e.man's and the heads off of the block. Everything looks fine, just in need of come prep for reinstallation once I get my new cam, pushrods and springs in a little bit.

Now I can probably "he-man" the shortblock out of the truck, and into my garage for further inspection/unassembly. The first pics will be coming tonight.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like this will be a pretty sweet project. Will definitely be following it, good luck!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Teching In

It will be, but I'm realising it's not quite exciting yet. While I was taking pics of my uber dirty heads, I thought "Who wants to see these greasy 799's but me?"

Granted..... not too thrilling yet. But, this week I will be getting the shortblock onto a stand and can then drop the pan so the block can fully drain of all the old craptastic fluids. I'd like to get the paint and polish work done while I'm shop searching, and still am aftermarket cam-less.

I'll post again when I have something more...... post worthy.

Quick Reply: Swazo's '64 Impala SS L33 TH350 swap