LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel injector?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector?????

ok guys i just found out i have a cracked injector. it not leaking fuel, but just air. i am driving it down to delaware tom. for the dyno day. its causing a mis at low rpms. but do you guys think it will be alright driving down there. i am going to do it anyway. but i think it will be alright. just getting a second opionion. when i get back from delaware i am going to buy one brand new injector and o-ring set for all the injectors. how much do you think it should cost for a new injector, just one.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you're not planning on dynoing the car with that injector. You could swap an injector out with someone while you're down there for the pull(s).

And it sounds like you've made up your mind on whether or not you're going regardless of the injector, so why ask? I wouldn't.

You can pick up one stock injector for likely next to nothing, if you go used. Injectors are fairly resilient and simple parts, so I would feel comfortable running a good-condition used injector.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you go to the parts store injectors are expensive, 6-7 years ago I went looking for one and it was $40-90 apiece for "reconditioned" stockers so I just bought a new aftermarket set for little over $200, do the math on that once.

I agree, try and find a single stocker, or try and see if someone local has a set of 30lbs SVOs you could buy and swap in AT the dyno shop if they are doing tuning too. Larger injectors have to be tuned for immediately.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Last fall when my car was on the dyno,3rd pull it just shut down,we could get it started but was missing like crazy,took a day to find problem. it was 1 bad injector.Replaced it and everything was fine...Replace injector.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Launching!

No im not dynoing my car. im just going down to see all the cars. i will be a little further away from home to break something. but i was just checking. its only leaking air. and i think its been like that for a while i just never noticed the air leak under the hood.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You could try some silicone or something????????

Maybe see if someone at the dyno session has some stock injectors.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of 45000 mile stockers that I just took out a week and a half ago if you are interested pm me
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could see if you can get some new upgraded ones shipped overnight (kind pricey) and then install them at the Dyno Days Then you'll be able to get it tuned for them while you're there! I wouldn't doubt someone would do it cheap since it's just changing one variable, then again who knows, TPiS wants to charge me over $100 just to burn my tune to a chip lol Then you'll have room to throw a cam in if you get 30-32lbs. Or goto the junk yard and pull some 3800 Supercharged injectors and then you wouldn't have to pay overnight shipping.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Launching!

3800 supercharged injectors are the same as our lt-1's or are they bigger. but i dont know if im going to try and do this tonight. im driving to delaware tom. and im not getting it tuned or dynoed. its too far away from home to get it on the dyno and possibly break something. so i will probably just leave it alone till i get back tom night. its not a daily driver so its not that big of a deal. it only leaking air, not fuel, so i dont see a problem with driving it. it has obviously been like this a while and i just never noticed the leak cause i couldn't hear it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

They are the same style, but much larger #, so you wouldn't drive there with them in. And the chances of breaking something on the dyno are the same as beating on your car on the road, except you are at least not in the car, stationary and around individuals who would be willing to help Even if you're not getting on the dyno, I'm sure someone would be willing to change your injector variable for you. Heck, call em up right now and explain your situation and that you planned on brining some bigger injectors and was wondering if they could change the PCM settings for like $20.

And added air going in is just as bad as fuel leaking out, both will create a lean state in the cylinder and that can make the cyl run a bit hotter, which can lead to undesirable things >_>
Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If an injector was leaking, it would cause a rich condition - not lean.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

I still have my stock injectors if you need one, or a few. Let me know, I was up at dyno day as well. Wasn't able to run though since the car was in the shop. Blows, but I needed a clutch. I had the black LT that was in there with the black chrome C6 wheels.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If an injector was leaking, it would cause a rich condition - not lean.
I assumed by his "leaking air" comment he meant that it was sucking in extra air. Guess I'm not sure what he means by that now.

Quick Reply: fuel injector?????