Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

2 week old fuel pump keeps blowing fuses!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2 week old fuel pump keeps blowing fuses!

I replaced my fuel pump 2 weeks ago, because the one before was whinning really loud. I haven't had any problems with it up until JUST NOW.

coming off the freeway, the engine dies. I pull over, check the fuses and see that the fuel pump fuse was blown. I replace it with a new fuse and turn the key to 'on' and the fuse instantly blows, I did it with 2 more fuses and got the same result.

So, I disconnect the hot wire to the fuel pump(external walbro 255lph) and when I turned the key to 'on' the fuse did not blow, which leads me to believe the fuel pump is screwed up

wtf? it is 2 weeks old..

anything I can do besides buying ANOTHER $120 pump?!

thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound like the power is shorted to ground. Did you check the wiring to make sure nothing has rubed through it causing a short?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

we just bought a walbro pump and installed it in my brothers truck
were having issues with it too
its just randomly quitting
anyways weve had to remove it, inspect all the wires n fuses 3 times in the last month for this reason
the more i started researchin the answer to his problem the more cases of walbro pump failures im seeing

they use to be a good product ???
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
we just bought a walbro pump and installed it in my brothers truck
were having issues with it too
its just randomly quitting
anyways weve had to remove it, inspect all the wires n fuses 3 times in the last month for this reason
the more i started researchin the answer to his problem the more cases of walbro pump failures im seeing

they use to be a good product ???
yea... i have also heard walbro 255lph having a reputation for problems... the thing that sucks is I replaced it with a pump that i thought was going bad, but had worked for over a year(swapped it out because it was whinning, wasn't causing any problem though!) are the fuses blowing on your bro's truck?

Originally Posted by 00_STANG_KILLER
sound like the power is shorted to ground. Did you check the wiring to make sure nothing has rubed through it causing a short?
well, the pump is grounded 2 inches from it's location to the body, which knocks out the probability that it is a the ground. The power wire seems to not be the problem either, as I disconnected it and when I turn the key on it didn't blow the fuse. The fuse only blows when the power wire is connected to the pump..I've read on google that a clogged pump will cause this, but wtf? the pump is 2 weeks old. Bought off ebay- there is no refund option!

I should have kept my old fuel pump, as what it looks like so far, the new pump is the problem... lol
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Bought off ebay- there is no refund option"

R U sure it's even a Gennie Walbro??? LOTS of that knokoff $hit from Ho Chi Min being sold as real stuff....

The Bosch 044 is an alternative that the turbo Buick guys are using w/ good results...

Last edited by Old Geezer; 03-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Racetronix sells a plug and play harness kit that is designed to handle the additional output of the walboro pump. I have it on my car and havent had any problems.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ebay store I bought it from has a one year warranty on anything they sell, so we will see how that goes. As for its genuinity, I'm pretty sure it is a walbro as it looked exactly like my other one lol but I mean, how can you be sure right?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys, I bought a 12v LED and connected it to the fuel pumps power/ground and when I turned the key to 'on' the LED lit up and the fuse DIDN'T blow. I turned the key off/on about 10 times confirming that it is not a wiring problem.

I then put a direct 12v to the pump and it kicked on, I then connected the ignition power back onto the fuel pump and turn the engine over and it fired right up, without blowing the fuse.

so, the problem is fix.

I was almost out of gas when this happend, so I'm guessing I was coming off the freeway(a declined slope) and all the gas moved away from the 'pickup tube' causing the pump to suck dry and lock up. Then the pump needed an extra 'kick'(amperage) for it to start back up- which the 20amp fuse wouldnt allow(because it kept blowing!)

hope this helps anyone in the future that has this problem occur with their walbro
Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"causing the pump to suck dry and lock up. Then the pump needed an extra 'kick'(amperage) for it to start back up- which the 20amp fuse wouldnt allow(because it kept blowing!)"

Once that pump got hot and dry enough to lock it up, it'll be a miracle if it lasts any length of time B4 it's done.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel pump is still going strong...

Quick Reply: 2 week old fuel pump keeps blowing fuses!