Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swapped rx-8

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls1 swapped rx-8

Ive looked everywhere on the net and ive never seen anyone try this, i mean rx-7 swaps are popular. If an ls1 will fit in a miata then it should fit in an 8 too right? i think it would be cool to see a fast rx-8. if anyone knows of anyone doing this could they throw me a link?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand why people take out the rotary engine. Its race proven as much as any v-8 plus its completely unique. I mean, an RX-8 with an LSX sounds cool too, but i just dont see why you would modify such a unique engine combo. With the renesis's twin rotors, i'd go twin turbo and a custom tune. Those things can get to like a 16,000 rpm redline. And a higher redline is ideal for control so i dont know. If you find any info, be sure to update the thread. Beautiful cars i would have bought one a while ago id the interior wasn't so ugly

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I have heard a few bad things about the RX8 such as all warning lights coming on while driving and the engine cuts off, and wont start back up. We had a guy come to my work and said Mazda couldnt figure out what the problem was, he bought the car for his daughter and the car was in the shop more than they were able to drive it. Even after they replaced the engine under warranty to see if that would fix it, it still did the same thing, all warning lights come on and engine shuts off. I dont know though, i still like the way they look, so combine it with a stout LSX swap and i think it would be pretty sick.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I dont understand why people take out the rotary engine. Its race proven as much as any v-8 plus its completely unique. I mean, an RX-8 with an LSX sounds cool too, but i just dont see why you would modify such a unique engine combo. With the renesis's twin rotors, i'd go twin turbo and a custom tune. Those things can get to like a 16,000 rpm redline. And a higher redline is ideal for control so i dont know. If you find any info, be sure to update the thread. Beautiful cars i would have bought one a while ago id the interior wasn't so ugly
They are not as great at you make them. You must have read all the good and none of the bad. You cant expect a 82 cubic inch motor to last long making over 350HP. This is why people do the LS1 swap.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sabre002
They are not as great at you make them. You must have read all the good and none of the bad. You cant expect a 82 cubic inch motor to last long making over 350HP. This is why people do the LS1 swap.
Any car where you need to pre mix oil into your gas (one of the tricks to make rotaries last a while) is questionable at best. That car is the most anemic slow car ever with the stock motor. As long as you keep the motor set back a good bit, the car is going be to be great! Balanced, neutral, and with more torque than the rotary could make!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Any rotary sucks I dont care how much boost you put to it. The redline is the only thing it has going for it. My rotary is sitting in a dumpster if you must know.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I work at a Mazda dealer. A LSx Rx-8 would be best of both worlds. Reliable motor and good looking, rare body. Other than the engine, Rx-8s have very few problems.

Originally Posted by Bullet95z28
I have heard a few bad things about the RX8 such as all warning lights coming on while driving and the engine cuts off, and wont start back up. We had a guy come to my work and said Mazda couldnt figure out what the problem was, he bought the car for his daughter and the car was in the shop more than they were able to drive it. Even after they replaced the engine under warranty to see if that would fix it, it still did the same thing, all warning lights come on and engine shuts off. I dont know though, i still like the way they look, so combine it with a stout LSX swap and i think it would be pretty sick.
Sounds like a wiring issue, not an engine issue. Never seen those symptoms before, but sounds like they didn't investigate too much. Unless there was a bunch of stuff you left out? or they didn't want to give you the War and Peace version of what they did.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to own one, had alot of trans problems, it was an 04

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
I work at a Mazda dealer. A LSx Rx-8 would be best of both worlds. Reliable motor and good looking, rare body. Other than the engine, Rx-8s have very few problems.

Sounds like a wiring issue, not an engine issue. Never seen those symptoms before, but sounds like they didn't investigate too much. Unless there was a bunch of stuff you left out? or they didn't want to give you the War and Peace version of what they did.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I work at a dealership with mazda too. RX8s are pretty reliable except for the engine. Most of the time the engines were just flooded out and only needed new plugs(BTW the plugs are $200) and alot of cranking.

The key thing to keeping them reliable is drive them in a warm climate, and beat the crap out of them when you drive them, and keep an eye on the oil level.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try talking to this user, he did the RX7 swap and seems to know a lot about these cars, he might be able to help you out or point you in the correct direction

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=113041
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

That Renesis engine is a very cool engine but in a 3000lb car its useless, in a 2200lb Corolla it'll be a lot of fun. I know a few guys in the business who work on rotaries and the biggest problem with RX8's are the owners, not the enthusiasts but the regular players who don't know **** about cars and just drive them to be cool. They don't realise how unique that engine is and that it needs special care, like changing the freakin oil once in a while...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always wanted a high powered rotary turbo engine for my E30 drift car. But as stated, its under 2000 pounds, will be severly beaten, and oil checked/monitored/changed if necessary every day. But im also a total NEWB. Just thought it wouod be cool to be different and havnt even started doing my homework yet. Maybe ill just go ahead with the M50 swap instead.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Teching In

CEL = Change Engine Light in a RX car.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id like to see that renesis on a bike!

Quick Reply: ls1 swapped rx-8