Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e Rebuild... What caused my failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e Rebuild... What caused my failure?

I have a 4l60e which ofcourse died on me... so like all the others Im asking for a rebuild advice... on which clutches to go with whether this is better than that...

Please bear with me as I have alot of questions and Im from the middle east, so shipping a whole transmission from a sponser is IMPOSSIBLE... don't even mention in it this thread, shipping alone will definatly be over 800$ and Im not even going to try and take the risk with shipping companies (worldwide)...

So... I have a 240sx, and I've installed an LS1 from a Camaro 1998... with the Auto transmission... and eventually it died on me... but my case is different than alot of you... as I have never had 3rd or 4th gear from the first day I drove my car... rarely my 3rd gear would engage and then after a short period of time, the car only hooks to one gear which is 2nd and shift to nothing except when I move it... (So on Overdrive it starts on 2nd and stays there...)

A month later, I was crusing very slow, when I heard this small "pop" like somthing burst... I press on the throttle and my car revs with no movement... (No reverse no Drive no nothing... ofcourse except P so its not my diff)

What could have went wrong in the tranny? I guess installation of the transmission wasn't done right cause it had issues from the start... (cause when I asked the previous owner he said all gears were engaging) but what could have happened when I heard that "pop" Oil pump?

My second question would be about what I need to reinforce my transmission a bit... something like 400whp max, cause thats all what I want on my lightweight car...

What I collected was Raybestos clutches, and the transgo kit... but then someone comes up and says raybestos clutches are bad... so I'm getting really confused... please give me what I need so I can for once enjoy my car

Sorry for the very long post, and thanks for replying... (please don't tell me to search I did that and found so much information, but all that lead to buying from a sponser, I don't mind that, but I want parts and not the whole tranny, cause shipping will kill me...

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

The Sun Shell is a known failure. There is a replacement one for it, "The Beast", its alot thicker in the areas where it breaks.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

As far as clutches go just get some that are rated for "High Energy" +1 on smokin97's comment, "the beast" sun shell or "monster" sun shell is a worthy upgrade. I dont know how easily parts are readily available where you are located, but thats a start.

Last edited by Bret@EFIAlchemy; 03-08-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: SP
Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The clutch "Brand" is not of particular importance. Each of us has preference but each get results so would not really say one brans better than another. They should be high quality performance.
the other things mentioned are also great ideas
also consider the borg warner 29 element dual cage sprag .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a possibly a broken pump. I would try to pull off a cooler line to verify if you have cooler flow. Also before getting a list of parts together it would probably be best to get the trans apart to verify what you need to order. We do ship units over there all the time and I do not believe it costs $800. Good luck with your project. Vince
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks to all the replies I will check the pump by removing one of the lines... and if it does shoot oil out, im going to go for a set of Clutchs + other usual failure **** stuff...

But unfortunatly I don't know what other parts fail except the following:

3-4 clutch (but i will get 1-2 anyway)
Belt (overdrive belt)
And you guys just told me about the sun shell

What else is a known faliure known to the 4l60e's? cause I just need it to handle a little over stock not much... cause im depending on my cars weight for power not on the engines power...

Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

anyone wants to add to the above list?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wajouba
anyone wants to add to the above list?
Th400 or th350 if you've only been having 1-2 and the occational 3rd you'll **** yourself to have 3rd all the time and not have to pull it out for a long time!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

29 element borg warner dual cage input sprag.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thedudeZ
Th400 or th350 if you've only been having 1-2 and the occational 3rd you'll **** yourself to have 3rd all the time and not have to pull it out for a long time!
I guess thats what im going with... cheapest route, and the best for my case...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

I checked, my hoses going to the cooler, and when I turned the car on and checked for oil to see if the pump failed nothing came out of the pump no oil, I put it on D, then N and all other gears no Oil out of my hose going to cooler...!!!

What If my plug is out? would oil still come out?!

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 pinion rear planetary is a good part to go ahead an put in there to .

Quick Reply: 4L60e Rebuild... What caused my failure?