Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internal Balancing

What is entailed in balancing a rotating assembly?What is the average cost if done by machine shop?Is this something a mechanical inclined person could do themselves? I,m doing a budget build with an assortment of new and used parts.I know basically how to do pistons and rods,but not piston and rods to crank.I bought a ls2 crank for my ls1 build ,new forged pistons with full floating pins and 2004 or newer rods for the full floating pistons.I just read another thread that brought this to my attention that the cranks are balanced to the bore of the pistons.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the average cost is going to be 175-250, depending on what counterweight work needs to be done and if you need mallory metal.
no way you could ever balance it yourself. doesnt matter how budget it is, you gotta put up the coin for a good balance job.
i dont know how the crank can be balanced to the bore of the piston.
a crank is balanced from a "bobweight" figure. maybe you got bore and bob confused?
anyway.... make sure you get it balanced.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
the average cost is going to be 175-250, depending on what counterweight work needs to be done and if you need mallory metal.
no way you could ever balance it yourself. doesnt matter how budget it is, you gotta put up the coin for a good balance job.
i dont know how the crank can be balanced to the bore of the piston.
a crank is balanced from a "bobweight" figure. maybe you got bore and bob confused?
anyway.... make sure you get it balanced.
That's what i figured,Thank,s for confirming my thoughts