LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car problems

Well my car has been acting strange for a little while now. At idle the rpms will drop kind of low and then go back up. Also cruising at low rpms it kind of stutters a little bit, but not all the time. Anyway, tonight I was backing out of a driveway and the car dies on me. I start it back up and the rpms just drop and it dies. If I start it and rev the engine to keep the rpms up it's fine. What do you guys think the problem is? Fuel pump maybe?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had similar problems when my coolant temp sensor in the waterpump went bad.. replaced it and runs alot better now.. when my fuel pump went bad it shook violently under low rpm acceleration. and i'm pretty sure MOST fuel pumps won't let the car run at all when its done.. not usually any symptoms i don't think. could be wrong.

But yeah i'd replace the sensor in waterpump.. like ten bucks. (my car was running super rich which is what told me it was most likely the sensor.. i don't know if you runnin rich or not) good luck!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
I had similar problems when my coolant temp sensor in the waterpump went bad.. replaced it and runs alot better now.. when my fuel pump went bad it shook violently under low rpm acceleration. and i'm pretty sure MOST fuel pumps won't let the car run at all when its done.. not usually any symptoms i don't think. could be wrong.

But yeah i'd replace the sensor in waterpump.. like ten bucks. (my car was running super rich which is what told me it was most likely the sensor.. i don't know if you runnin rich or not) good luck!
Wouldn't a coolant temp sensor going out cause your temp guage to be off? My gauge was reading like it always did. Also did your car ever die becuase of this? Thanks for the info
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

the sensor on the water pump is for the computer. there is another sensor on the drivers side of the block that controls the gauge on the dash.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like said above there is a sensor for the guage on the cylinder head and the computer which is on the waterpump. My car still has the idle go up and down between 500 and 1000 rpms (but only when i have defrost or air on.) I don't THINK my car ever died from it...But now that i think of it, if i remember right a couple days before i had to replace the fuel pump it died in town on me at a light, but the valves were all outta wack too which coulda contributed to the problem as well. You can check your fuel pressure to see if its your fuel pump with a fuel pressure guage. they'll run you 30 or so though i think.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

My has been doing the same thing. I will have to check out that sensor
Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Like said above there is a sensor for the guage on the cylinder head and the computer which is on the waterpump. My car still has the idle go up and down between 500 and 1000 rpms (but only when i have defrost or air on.) I don't THINK my car ever died from it...But now that i think of it, if i remember right a couple days before i had to replace the fuel pump it died in town on me at a light, but the valves were all outta wack too which coulda contributed to the problem as well. You can check your fuel pressure to see if its your fuel pump with a fuel pressure guage. they'll run you 30 or so though i think.
Ahhh I see, Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You might have a faulty IAC.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey ss.slp.ls1 I did the TB by-pass and I started my car and it started like usual then right away the idel seemed liked it drop for only a sec then went back up to normal. What could this be. To OP I think it could be a IAC sensor.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
hey ss.slp.ls1 I did the TB by-pass and I started my car and it started like usual then right away the idel seemed liked it drop for only a sec then went back up to normal. What could this be. To OP I think it could be a IAC sensor.
Did it only do it once, or does it always do it? If the TB bypass was the only thing you did, it should have no affect on the idle. I would check all of the connections and hoses on the TB to see if everything looks connected and sealed.

Quick Reply: Car problems