Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultrabell on a LSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrabell on a LSX

Ok, so Im new to this and cant find any info if the Ultrabell will bolt up to an LSX (5.3L), Im looking at a TH350 that was rebuilt last year with Red Racing Clutches and a new shift kit, wants $200 for it, $300 with a 3500 B&M w/ anti balloning plates. I dont want to buy it if the Ultrabell wont bolt up though. Thans for any help.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ultra bell will bolt up to a LSX. We did one for a member called Tuff that has TH350. Have to see if I have a picture of it. Vince
Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks Vince. I figured you guys would know. I guess I could have sent a PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
8 Second Club

There are a couple things to make the ultra bell work on a LSX. I just went through this, and if you know about first, like I did, it could save you a bunch of hassles. I trial fitted the Ultra Bell before mounting it to the trans. There are 4 bolts on the rear engine cover that will interfere with the bell. Some say grind on the bell, but I did not like that idea, so I removed the 4 bolts, and milled the heads down. There ended up being around 1/8" or so left, just enough to still get a socket to torque them down, 23ft lbs. Bolt the bell down to the engine to verify proper clearance to the bolts. I also had to dimple the trans tunnel in a couple of spots to allow the bell to even fit up in there. Other then that, it is just like any other A3 install on a LS.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds familiar,

Here is a post I made back in 12/07

"Apparently, the early design (pre-2000?) LS1 rear main seal housing is much thicker than the version that is currently in production.
Even though I used low profile button head screws in the top four holes, the rear main housing still contacted the ultrabell.
After a little research, I found that the part number on the rear main housing that
came off my 1998 parts engine had changed multiple times.
I purchased the new design rear main housing, GM part #12615666, which solved the problem completely because it was much thinner than the version of the cover that I had.
This method will not require modification to the ultrabell, which would void
the SFI certification.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys! I know what your talking about but do you have any pics?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From derty.org

The top four bolts in the picture are the issue.
The newest part number cover is much thinner and will not hit the ultra bell if you use low profile button head 8mm bolts.
When you get the Bell, just fit it to the engine by itself and you will quickly see if there is an issue.
A must do upgrade if you are making good power and enjoy your legs !!!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

I didn't trial fit... and you could bet I had problems. I just thought it would bolt right up. I know a dumb mistake on my part. 2 flywheels later I got it fixed when my mechinic friend found out the problem and I felt like an idiot. haha He just did a little grinding on the bell housing and it was back in business. Now that I see this I should did it a little different but at the time we thought this would be a good solution. There is still a lot of material left so I don't see it as a problem.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Very good. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by pddye
I didn't trial fit... and you could bet I had problems. I just thought it would bolt right up. I know a dumb mistake on my part. 2 flywheels later I got it fixed when my mechinic friend found out the problem and I felt like an idiot. haha He just did a little grinding on the bell housing and it was back in business. Now that I see this I should did it a little different but at the time we thought this would be a good solution. There is still a lot of material left so I don't see it as a problem.
It might be an issue when you send it in for re certification. They do allow an area that you can modify, don't know if this would apply though.