Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help LS1 crash damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help LS1 crash damage

I bought a 60,000 mile LS1/4L60E combo to put in my chevelle. I pulled the oil pan and find the oil pump was crushed. Pics Here:http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/r...Pump%20Damage/ Looks like it took a big shot to the crank pulley during a crash. Anyone know what else could be damaged? Do I need to tear it all the way down and have a machine shop check the block for cracks? I set a dial indicator on the pulley end of the crankshaft and show .005 run-out. Can I check it this way, or does it have to be checked in the middle?
Help.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

First I would try and Return it. If not, tear it down and inspect it further. If it took a hard shot in the front it probaly damaged the thrust on the #3 bearing too. You will most likely need to rebuild it...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just pull the whole thing apart and re check everything. you don't want to risk the whole motor.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

I was the guy that sold this pullout. The motor/trans came out of a 99 firehawk which was indeed in a front end collision. I ran the motor before pulling it out and it sounded great. There was a chip out of the outside lip of the harmonic balancer and i replaced it with a stock one i had. I was kind of dumbfounded to hear about this but im glad this was discovered before putting this motor in your chevelle. My advice would be to replace the pump and go as i have heard this motor run and it did sound very nice. Just wanted to make myself known here before people start bashing the seller......
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Not bashing you Andrew, well yet anyway. A lot of these motors come from cars with front end hits, I just want to know what the typical damage is when one gets whacked on the crank pulley. If I can get by with a new oil pump, great, but if the crank is bent, or the block is cracked I'd like to know while its on my engine stand and not in the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definately replace all the main bearings
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not hear to bash either but as he said better to find out no then later there is a problem. Because the pump was broken that right there tells me there was a lack of proper oil pressure. It is possible there is no damage but I would pull they caps and inspect the bearing for damage. The fact that it took a shot in the front and damaged the balancer tells me the crank moved back ward... That being the case it could very well be posible that the Thurst on Bearing #3 was damaged if not wipped out all together. I personally bought a used engine block That ate the #3 Thrust bearing. It was a pull out too... No damage to the block but I did see the crank an it was in need of being serviced. You can by replacement bearings for less the $100 if the crank needs to be seviced well that could be be any were from 50-100 deppending on what it needs. Better now then later. Once metal particalls start going through the block your basically going to have to rebuild everything... Crank service and bearings are much cheaper then a complete rebuild esspecially if you have to replace hard parts......

Either way good luck on the repair...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Just had zero oil pressure for some reason.....but it sounded great.
Kind of like Hear no Evil, see No Evil...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I tore the motor all the way down tonight. I'm dropping the block and crank off at a machine shop tomorrow to have it check out. Only $50-$100 to have it checked out. Everything looked OK, but it's cheap insurance. The mains did have some embedded particals but I've seen worse. Good time for main, rod and cam bearings anyway.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, $100 is cheap insurance. you don't wanna get it in there and have it grenade on you.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Just had zero oil pressure for some reason.....but it sounded great.
Becuase you were there to look at the guage reading 60psi and hear it in person...i forgot you live nextdoor.

Steve, let me know what the machine shop says. i would assume all is well.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

You also (apparently) forgot to tell the buyer the oil pump was broken off.
Forgetfulness is so convienient at times isn't it?
Kinda quick to point a finger aren't you?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Touche. I neglected to remember the timing cover.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Didn't you notice the damage when you picked it the combo??? I would had hesitated getting it with that kinda damge...unless it was really cheap.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Wow, don't check back for a few days and look at all the posts. To clarify some of the things brought up. I didn't know this motor had any damage. I bought it as a 60,000 mile ready to run pull out. I was planning on dropping it in as it was, but luckily I pulled the oil pan and found the damage before I got that far.
I didn't say where I got it because I sent Andrew a private message about the damage and thought I would see if we could work it out instead of slamming him on the board. The point of this post was to see what else I should check.
Since he jumped in here, I'm pretty sure the timing cover or oil pan was replaced. The oil pick-up tube is dented,along with the pump being hit against the main cap and I don't know how that could have happened and not have one or the other broken? Should I have been told about the pulley being replaced, etc? I would have said something if I sold it, but I guess everybody can make their own decision on that.
As for the parts, the machine shop used dye on the block and couldn't find any cracks. They found the same thing I did on the crank, the pulley end is .005 out of round. Only spec's I could find on crank run-out was the rear seal area and that is .002 max, I don't know how much the front can have? They are going to see if they can de-stress it and straighten it a little. I won't know until later this week if I need a new crank.
If the crank is ok, and all I'm out is an oil pump and bearings, I'll be satisfied. Will I pull an oil pan on the next engine I buy before I take it home? .
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

OK, idk what your deal is but you need to stop calling me out with all this BS. I am a Loyal member to this board and sell the crap out of parts. I have sold probably 50+ of these pullouts in the last 2 years with 0 issues (until now) and now your bashing me? i came into this thread when i was notified about this. I made my name known as im not hiding from anything. I buy salvage cars and part them out. This car was a 1999 firehawk that was hit in the front. I can get pics of the car if you want pics. The frame was pushed down, not into the motor. The outside lip had maybe a 1/2" part of the lip to retain the belt chipped off of it. i replaced it with an extra balancer i had from my ls1 s10 swap i did just because i had a good spare. I run every pullout i sell, otherwise i wont sell them as running. This setup started, had good oil pressure, and was sound. I never once replaced a timing cover, or oil pan. i dont part motors out. i simply pull them out of cars and resell them. im not a "shady bitch" nor would i ever screw someone over, thats not who i am.

If you seem to know me, and have a big problem with me, work this out with me and quit all this name calling when you have no idea who i even am, nor have you ever purchased from me. I didnt jump the gun on you, just pointed out your no oil pressure comment with the truth.

If anyone here wants to call me names, it should be Steve, not anyone else on this board.

If i knew about a damaged oil pump, i would have never ran the motor.

Steve, I sent you a pm. let me know if you want the replacement parts we talked about.

Last edited by andrew69_04; 03-17-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY INTERESTING, ESPECIALLY AFTER SEVEN DAYS HAVE PASSED THAT DICK HEAD DECIDES TO START **** WITH ME.

You wouldn't be very happy right now if I was your neighbor you ******* hack.

Explain yourself, how do you sell an engine like this and claim to be dumbfounded when the damage was found? The damage you looked at when you changed the timing cover in an attempt to hide it.

I would have never said anything today if you had let a, what, week old comment slide.
Now you're exposed.
9000th01ss, you need to STFU. Andrew will take care of his customer. This is the 2nd thread I have seen that you have brought negativity to. Keep this up and I'm certain that you will eventually be banned.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
OK, idk what your deal is but you need to stop calling me out with all this BS..
Ok then. I'll delete everything I can.
Like I said in the PM, this should be left to the buyer and seller and anyone not involved in the transaction should be ignored.
Still, it looks shady. Think about if I hadn't said anything and the pics stayed up, and you never had a chance to post in your defense.

It would have been much better to have the buyer post, then you post what you posted above this. To me thats a problem with a transaction, and your explaination on how you're going to make it right. Now you look like a very good seller who's going to go the distance to take care of the buyer IMO.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-17-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
9000th01ss, you need to STFU. Andrew will take care of his customer. This is the 2nd thread I have seen that you have brought negativity to. Keep this up and I'm certain that you will eventually be banned.
I PM'ed this guy twice to ask him to take my comment off here for Andrews sake. Apparently he decided to leave it up. I even said he could leave his comment about me on here.

I did this because it did sound like a shady deal at first, now through PM's and posts here Andrew has proven himself a great person by telling me how he does his transactions in a very professional manner, and is now taking care of the situation.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just another little peice of information.
I bought a rear end from andrew that was from a 2000 firehawk that he said was in good or great, running condition, cant remember exactly which word he used.
After I installed it that thing whined and clunked like it was out of a 300,000 miles junker. pulled the axles and they were definatly trash.

He did give me 100 back from the 250 i originally gave hiim. only thing is that instead of a peice of junk that was $250, it ended up being only $150.

Andrew, you might sell the crap out of some parts on here, but the way you said you tested my rear end was useless. And it doesnt seem like the way you tested this motor was much better. Putting a car on a lift and spinning the tires to 60 mph does absolutly nothing. There was no load on the bearing at all so of course they wouldn't make noise.

Quick Reply: Help LS1 crash damage