LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil mixed with coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil mixed with coolant...

Hello everyone...

Anyone have any advise as to what it can be?
It's a 1995 Trans Am with about 115,000 miles.
The vehicle was purchased in Encinal, TX and was driven to Laredo, TX about 39 miles. To start off the car needs the Mass Air and seemed to be running okay to Laredo...

Once in Laredo it suddenly turned off and looked like it had heated up. After adding coolant and waiting for it to cool off it turned back on and was parked after that...
This morning i turned it on and it was leaking coolant out the exhaust and whitish smoke was coming out. I drained the oil out and found out that there was no coolant in it SO i thought i was saved that the engine was not the problem... I put new oil in it and turned it on again and checked the oil, there seemed to be coolant mixed with the oil NOW.

Does someone have any advise... Please let me know...
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick_512
Hello everyone...

Anyone have any advise as to what it can be?
It's a 1995 Trans Am with about 115,000 miles.
The vehicle was purchased in Encinal, TX and was driven to Laredo, TX about 39 miles. To start off the car needs the Mass Air and seemed to be running okay to Laredo...

Once in Laredo it suddenly turned off and looked like it had heated up. After adding coolant and waiting for it to cool off it turned back on and was parked after that...
This morning i turned it on and it was leaking coolant out the exhaust and whitish smoke was coming out. I drained the oil out and found out that there was no coolant in it SO i thought i was saved that the engine was not the problem... I put new oil in it and turned it on again and checked the oil, there seemed to be coolant mixed with the oil NOW.

Does someone have any advise... Please let me know...
You are going to have to find out where the leak is. Most likely its a blown head gasket.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you find out that it would be this?

When you turn it on for the first time, it will be on for a while but then it heats up to normal temperature and it starts turning off and making a knocking sound like there is not enough air going in there...

This engine will be looked at tomorrow, hopefully i can find out what it really is...

Quick Reply: Oil mixed with coolant...