View Full Version : Electric Cutout

Count of Monte Crlo
03-09-2009, 03:35 PM
What brand of electric cutout do you use and what is your review of it? Any problems sticking, not opening/closing all the way? I tried to do a search and was getting crappy results... Also my car had a Borla CB on it when I bought it, what is the diameter of the Borla CB where the cutout needs to go? I'm guessing 2.5 inch, but suppose it could be 2.25. Thanks

z28_YOU_HO
03-09-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/1051584-qtp-electric-cutouts.html

dhm electric cutout F.T.W.

Do you have a stock exhaust besides the catback?

edit::: 3 inch cutout looks like whats needed for even the stock i pipe.

someone please correct me if im wrong...I searched and it said 3" even on a stock y

Kingc8r
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I have a QTP that's almost 1.5 years old. I use it at least twice a day. The only issue I have had with it is blowing the fuse in the switch

OIF1VET
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
dmh electric cutout F.T.W.

X2, I have dual low profiles.. Love em!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/OIF1VET/cutouts-1.jpg

Count of Monte Crlo
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
so any preferences of qtp over dmh?

96formulabird
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I know i got a lt-1, but im running a qtp electric on my car and i have had it for 8 or 9 months and had not one single problem. its welded in right before the axle in my magnaflow catback. its perfect location cause it tucks in and there is a rubber plug in the floor right there to bring it up in the vehicle.

SSJIMMY
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
i ve had my DMH for almost 3 years never had a problem if you have the borla with the plate setup then i think you need a 2.5 inch cutout.

imim taking a loudmouth and using some magnaflow parts and my DMH and making something like a borla should have pictures this weekend.

intense3123
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I've had a DMH for over 2 years. No problems at all.

NHRAMAN
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
6 Years or so with my QTEC.

Detoxx03
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I think QTP and DMH are the popular ones

badazzta00
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
DMH, I've had two qtec's(QTP) and I just installed my DMH cutout. The DMH has a much sleeker design and takes up less space. Not to mention it opens 100% twice as fast as the qtec(QTP) and has a 4 year warranty.

Hard Core Z28
03-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I have my QTP for years now its great. Friends of mine got sucked in the so called warranty of the other brand. When it broke it was impossible to get in touch with them. They learned the hard way.
Also if ya notice QTP is a sponsor, never seen any other brand support the board.
QTP FTMFW!

Count of Monte Crlo
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
i ve had my DMH for almost 3 years never had a problem if you have the borla with the plate setup then i think you need a 2.5 inch cutout.

imim taking a loudmouth and using some magnaflow parts and my DMH and making something like a borla should have pictures this weekend.

I've heard from 2 other people that the Borla CB needs a 3 inch electric cutout not a 2.5, anybody else?

406malibu
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
DMH FTMFW! and yes you'll need a 3 inch.

Count of Monte Crlo
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
thanks ^, what do you guys think an install of this should typically cost, muffler man won't tell me crap over the phone

jimmyblue
03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
My McCord has held up pretty well, it got a bit
sticky from lack of use (carbon crust) and I had
to poke it with my finger once. But I try to use
it more regularly now :)

Any cutout wants routine lubrication in the gear
motor head.

Any corporate muffler shop, and any smart indie,
will not tell you (Mr. Undercover EPA rat-fink,
as far as they know) anything about exhaust
modification from stock. It should take no more
than an hour or two, depending on where the
cutout is going and whether you have pre-fab
pieces or a lot of hand cutting, etc.

Count of Monte Crlo
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
My McCord has held up pretty well, it got a bit
sticky from lack of use (carbon crust) and I had
to poke it with my finger once. But I try to use
it more regularly now :)

Any cutout wants routine lubrication in the gear
motor head.

Any corporate muffler shop, and any smart indie,
will not tell you (Mr. Undercover EPA rat-fink,
as far as they know) anything about exhaust
modification from stock. It should take no more
than an hour or two, depending on where the
cutout is going and whether you have pre-fab
pieces or a lot of hand cutting, etc.

I guess that explains their reluctance to talk to me about it aside from they could do it. Where do most people place the switch in their car? Is it a loose switch or does it come through something. I don't really want to hack the car up.

406malibu
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I guess that explains their reluctance to talk to me about it aside from they could do it. Where do most people place the switch in their car? Is it a loose switch or does it come through something. I don't really want to hack the car up.

since i dont smoke, and no one is going to smoke in my car, I put the switch in the ash tray. I also spliced the wires for the cig. lighter as the power source. If you get dmh it'll come with a little button.

bobbyd
03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
just went ahead and ordered a dmh from marylandspeed

Striker
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Someone mentioned DMH has the sleekest design, does this mean it has the best ground clearance? Another thing id like to know is, besides making a lot of noise, how much does the cutout gain in power over an aftermarket catback?

Daryn
03-11-2009, 12:01 AM
i had a qtp 4" on my car and i a dmh 3" on my truck... i would recommend the DMH because its fast and when the butterfly is completely opened or shut it stops . it wont keep trying to turn and break a gear or anything like the QTP..

the DMH takes about 3 seconds to go from open to closed. vice versa... the qtp takes about 5+ seconds

black_phoenix
03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
just get a manual... you wont ever want to close it due to how good the car will sound...

bobbyd
03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
i had a qtp 4" on my car and i a dmh 3" on my truck... i would recommend the DMH because its fast and when the butterfly is completely opened or shut it stops . it wont keep trying to turn and break a gear or anything like the QTP..

the DMH takes about 3 seconds to go from open to closed. vice versa... the qtp takes about 5+ seconds

Since you had both on the dmh can you set it to where it opens say half or not completely?
i know with my qtp you hold the button and can open it at certain percent

legendarysouls
03-11-2009, 10:05 AM
How does the QTP-QTEC30B compare to just a 3in normal cut out

why is it only for borla

Striker
03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Someone mentioned DMH has the sleekest design, does this mean it has the best ground clearance? Another thing id like to know is, besides making a lot of noise, how much does the cutout gain in power over an aftermarket catback?

Spd-Kilz
03-11-2009, 02:48 PM

I have pretty good clearance with my DMH. Gains really depend on your setup.

Here is my DMH. I highly suggest it - and you can choose how much to open it; it's not just open or closed.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/SVTBAIT/th_Cutout.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/SVTBAIT/?action=view&current=Cutout.flv)

Texfinn
03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I had McCord on my 00 Z28 for 3 years and 2 years on my 99 TA before selling the cars and never had any problems with either one. Never had any problems with clearance, either. Not sure how long it took to open/close, but since that really wasn't an issue for me, I never timed it.

Here's a pic where I mounted the switch and LED in my TA.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3359/picture1403pw.jpg

Ironxcross
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I just got one of these, waiting to install.....

FiFdYnUtz
03-11-2009, 03:40 PM
i had a muffler shop weld on in my GTP and it cost just over $100 irc...but it was a tricky place to weld it in..i just put a bolt in cutout on my TA and put the elec cutout on the end of that...

STG
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
you can choose how much to open it; it's not just open or closed.

How does opening it partway affect the sound? Does it go instantly from stock to terror of the neighborhood, or can you go gradually?

fccs
03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
dmh dumdumdum, I have my button set up by the TCS as well.

Striker
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I have pretty good clearance with my DMH. Gains really depend on your setup.

Here is my DMH. I highly suggest it - and you can choose how much to open it; it's not just open or closed.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/SVTBAIT/th_Cutout.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/SVTBAIT/?action=view&current=Cutout.flv)

that sounds killer man. i really like it. magnaflow sounds nice too

Spd-Kilz
03-11-2009, 09:57 PM
How does opening it partway affect the sound? Does it go instantly from stock to terror of the neighborhood, or can you go gradually?

I'd say between 0 - 25% open is where the sound really changes. If you modulate it anywhere between that range, you are able to change the sound significantly.

Anywhere after 25%, it is loud / obnoxious. Personally, I can't hear a significant difference between having it open 50% vs. 100%.

NeedaV8foundation
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
just trying to jack your tread but can anyone else post some pics of their E-cutout?

BlackBirds
03-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I used to have a QTP cutout on my car. It was alright, but I was told that it would strip out easily if I held the button down just a little too long every time, but I never had any problems. I learned after I bought my QTP that DMH is the way to go though. I wasn't very happy with how my actual cutout piping looked though... It looked like they just chopped it and welded it together haphazardly. the welds were good but the cut on the inside of the piping was really weird.

anywho...my experience with QTP wasnt bad, but I've heard DMH is better quality.

Striker
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I'd say between 0 - 25% open is where the sound really changes. If you modulate it anywhere between that range, you are able to change the sound significantly.

Anywhere after 25%, it is loud / obnoxious. Personally, I can't hear a significant difference between having it open 50% vs. 100%.

do u notice a gain when its open?

Spd-Kilz
03-12-2009, 09:04 AM

In power? It's hard to say. I think the car is faster because it's substantially louder, but if it really is or not, I have no idea. I might have gained 5rwhp or so.

I'll let you know when I get it dyno'd in the spring.

Koastie57
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM

It has been noted that in fact you do gain about 5HP with your cut-out open.

Not significant but its something.

My friend took his formula to get it Dyno'd and did one with it closed and one with it open and it was about 5-6 HP difference.

Spd-Kilz
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
It has been noted that in fact you do gain about 5HP with your cut-out open.

Not significant but its something.

My friend took his formula to get it Dyno'd and did one with it closed and one with it open and it was about 5-6 HP difference.

Although I understand that point you're trying to make, it's extremely hard - if not impossible - to quantify any increases with a cutout. It varies substantially for every application.

For example, a cutout on a 346 with LT's, catless Y, Flowmaster merge, and and extremely good catback might see little, or no gains. On the other hand, a stroker or turbo car with stock exhaust might see upwards of 40hp with a cutout.

4WOFURY
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
My cutout showed a gain of 14rwhp and 10 rwtq... Just a manual cutout, though.

Count of Monte Crlo
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I had McCord on my 00 Z28 for 3 years and 2 years on my 99 TA before selling the cars and never had any problems with either one. Never had any problems with clearance, either. Not sure how long it took to open/close, but since that really wasn't an issue for me, I never timed it.

Here's a pic where I mounted the switch and LED in my TA.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3359/picture1403pw.jpg

I really like that, but my TCS switch is up near the top of the dash where it says camaro not down where yours is... anyone else have pics of switch location? Also where do you guys usually mount (exact location) the cutout on your exhaust?

Count of Monte Crlo
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Also I just thought of this, does the cutout cause any codes?

bobbyd
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM

nope the cutout does not cause any codes.

the most popular location to mount its on the i-pipe right behind the rear passenger seat

Spd-Kilz
03-12-2009, 07:39 PM

No, unless you put them before your rear 02 sensors.

Detoxx03
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
My cousin just gave me a QTEC and I have no idea where to mount it or if I should try and sell it and get a DMH one. Pics:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/detoxx03/DSC01060.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/detoxx03/DSC01058.jpg

allbaugh_04
03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
When you get the cutout installed...you mount it so the exhaust will exit towards the passenger side of the car correct?

Spd-Kilz
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
When you get the cutout installed...you mount it so the exhaust will exit towards the passenger side of the car correct?

Not 100% necessary, but by far the mosts popular way to do it. Only reason for this is due to the large opening above the I-pipe in the floor below the rear seat - going this route forces you to angle it towards the passenger side.

allbaugh_04
03-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Right...thx.

Also, does anyone make a gadget that fits in the ashtray so i can mount my switch there or does DMH include something for that? Cuz my ashtray lid is broken anyways. It just sits on top of the hole.

fccs
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Installing a ecutout literally from scratch takes around 10minutes, and thats if your running the wire yet. If you have the wire ran already then it would take about.. well its 3bolts.. so however fast you can turn that ratchet on 3bolts is how fast you could install it. It's really simple once you do it.

volcanic2345
03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
i got dmh and love espacilly when cops are around i go to undecover mode then when its clear i go back to race mode when i open the cutout i love how it sounds if you have a cam you will love ur cut out for life

fccs
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
i got dmh and love espacilly when cops are around i go to undecover mode then when its clear i go back to race mode when i open the cutout i love how it sounds if you have a cam you will love ur cut out for life

Agreed I cant wait to hear mine with a cam.