Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire change.

I bought my new Nitto NT05's from discount tire direct. There are no discount tire stores around to mount the new tires to the rims. My question is what should i be looking out for as not to f..k up my aluminum rims? Is there a specific machine or procedure to ask for??? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As for tire install it is a crap shoot. I have typically had good installs from big name shops.

And I usually try to have my tires mounted during the "slower" hours so they installer does not feel the need to rush, if the shop is busy that day.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a tire direct close by...i'll ask when their slow part of the day is and go then...thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most tire machines grip the wheel from the inside, pushing out on the barrel. The preferred type of machine grips the wheel from the outside, using metal arms with plastic "hands". There is only one shop locally i would trust to mount high dollar rims, because they have a good rep and a good machine. also, be sure the rim protector on the actual mounting arm is new, and that NO metal will com into contact with your wheel. Wherever you go, be SURE they will insure you no damage will come to your wheel. If they can't promise you a new wheel, don't have them mount it.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a specific name for the machine grapping from the outside? This way i can make phone calls to see who has one.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

go to a bigger name shop, like a goodyear, or NTB, that way if they do mess something up they will pay for it.