Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LF 6.1L FI info :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF 6.1L FI info :)

Hi guys. I have been lurking here for the past few days, reading as much info on turbo systems and the world that comes with it over my little blackberry pearl at work, and figured now was the time to present my question!

Obviously, from the title I do not have an LS engine. I purchased a 2008 SRT8 Challenger last year. Again, I know that this site is built for a different set up, but the Challenger community is new, as is the "new age" Mopar community, and there just isnt the knowledge base that is so evident here.

Now, on to the question!

My Challenger is a daily driver for the months without snow on the ground. Which is only about 6-7 months of the year for me. I read as much info as I could about increasing the HP of my car, and the STS Turbo system seems like the best HP per $ option. I am however curious about a few things. First, STS told me that I can bolt this system in to my stock car, and have zero problems with it...but of course, after lurking here for a few days I wonder if I will need to upgrade fueling, pistons, etc...and was wondering your guys thoughts on this.

Also, the reason for the system, is this summer I plan on attending as many car shows as I can, as well as amateur drags. There is nothing serious around where I live, just sort of whoever shows up gets to go...wont be any hardcore stuff going on

Thanks in advance for your info, any and all responses will help. Im really close to pulling the trigger on this turbo...just need to know everything that I will end up needing (if anything) and just need to justify the money.

Cam.

*edit* Only had a few moments to type this up...heading to the dentist If you need any info at all, please dont hesitate to ask!

Last edited by 6.1 SRT8; 03-10-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: *
Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

ok i will get yelled at a little but,

i have had a sts on mycar. i would never do it again.

if you can have someone make ou a one off or wait. a kit will come out. also i think one of the sponsors is doing a build with a car like that. do a search in the sponsor cars. next section up.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate a little on why you would never choose STS again? I have heard horrible things about the Dodge Ram SRT-10's all blowing up, but also very good things about other set ups they offer.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On the 6.1 you have one major problem where boost is related:

Terrible pistons.

The stock 6.1 piston will hurt itself on a bad day even in N/A form, they do not play well with boost.
Of course, proper tuning will lessen the chance of having an issue, but the reliability of these pistons at elevated power levels is questionable at best.

Currently there are several blower kits available, (Vortech, Paxton, TechCo), as well as a few one off turbo setups, but I have yet to see a Turbo setup that works well due to packaging issues.
The STS kit may prove to be a good idea assuming they have perfected the design of the kit.

If I were going to add boost to my SRT8, I think I may be looking into the new Whipple kits that are becoming available for the past few weeks.
They look awesome and will certainly perform, and will offer great gains at lower (read: safer) boost levels.

Either way, be sure to get your hands on a Predator so you can get it tuned right!

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Ive got a predator already, had it installed at 35 miles! STS provides a tune for their turbo setup, complete with the kit.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Ive been looking at SC's as well, before I decided to go with STS and it seems that SC's just dont offer the hp that turbos do...I am curious tho, wouldnt an SC be just as hard on the pistons if they are indeed that weak?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 6.1 SRT8
Ive been looking at SC's as well, before I decided to go with STS and it seems that SC's just dont offer the hp that turbos do...I am curious tho, wouldnt an SC be just as hard on the pistons if they are indeed that weak?
Yes, they will both be tough on the pistons.

I have to say though, why worry about which system can support the most power? You're pretty limited by the pistons now, so unless you plan on building a bottom end in the future, you ought to look into the best option for making in the 500 rwhp range.
A turbo kit that can support 750-800 rwhp is useless with a stick bottom end...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Alright, I talked to squires. The stock tune for the srt8 is 7 psi. which gives around 500rwhp. Roughly the same as the whipple would. However, this would also give me the opportunity down the road to upgrade the bottom end and jack up the boost, if I so choose later, where I think im somewhat limited with an SC. He assures me that 7 psi running with hi octane pump gas is very conservitave. I also of course realize that he being a STS sales rep may give him a somewhat biased opinion...So I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Like I said before, I wont be going hard core drag racing anytime in the near future, and I think I would be very happy with 500 rwhp in my daily driver, so I am completely ok with the conservative 7 psi boost.

Thanks,

Cam
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Banned

why i woudnt run sts?

why would i. clearance sucks. lag sucks. company sucks. water issues.

ok sts wants to sell you a system. they will tell you what ever you want to hear to make that happen. "oh yeah run race gas and 10psi, you will be fine"
^^^mike said twice that your pistons suck. that they can hurt them selves NA. if that is the cause why woudl you try FI.
dont call a turbo shop and ask if the turbo will hurt your motor. call a performance shop and ask them

there is very nice compianes off to your right on the screen.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM

I am definitely not questioning Mike at all. I am extremely grateful for his input, getting someone from Diablo to respond is more than I was expecting when originally posting this. I am only trying to gather as much information as possible, and make my decision from there.

There seems to be a lot of Challengers running around with superchargers @ 5-6 psi and having no problems at all. Basically I am trying to make my decision by finding out if it is worth running FI @ 5-7 psi on stock internals, or if I should just spend the money on the internals now, and worry about FI later. Im just a normal middle class guy, cant afford both at the moment. Thats why I was asking about the turbo, because if I could install it and safely run it at 6 or 7 psi on stock internals, then have the money down the road for upgraded internals, I can raise the PSI from there.

And Ill apologize in advance if I sound somewhat inept at this...its because I am Pretty new to all of this, and just trying to collect as much knowledge as I can before I go dumping money

Also, thanks for clarifying your problems with STS, I am curious which vehicle you had it running on that gave you the clearance issue, as well as the weak spot to water.

Thanks again,

Cam.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

start from the back and work forward. lol read the sticky up top. this one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html

"the real price of force induction" you will like it
Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'll tell you what, it is not uncommon for the 426 stroker HEMIs to lay down 500+ rwhp on motor alone these days.

It may be a bit more costly up front, but you'll have massive power, and nothing to worry about when it comes time to get on it, since you'll be using a forged crank, rods, and pistons.

Then, if you decide to add FI later on, you are ready for as much boost/power as you would ever want.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 AM

Hehe, Ive actually already read that one. Ive been knee deep in research, and probably like 6 hours of phone calls in the last couple of days talking to installers, and I think I've come up with a plan.

It sounds to me like 5-7 psi turbo or sc is fairly safe to run, however, still poses the possibility of busting up my pistons. So, I then looked at forging the bottom end, and throwing an SC on top of that. However...once I started looking in to that, I figure if im going to spend the money, and rip my entire engine out, I might as well put a 426 back in there, and just go N/A for the time being. This will give me some very respectable RWHP, as well as a bulletproof base if I decide to go bigger later in life.

The hard part about this is finding someone to properly tune the 426...I live up in the mountains in British Columbia, theres a lot more snowmobile shops around here than speed shops

I talked to a speed shop 4 hours away from here, who put in a 426, tuned it themselves, and only pulled 400 rwhp on the dyno. Talked to one in WA, same thing. Talked to another in Sacramento, and hes pulling 500 from the same engine. So...more money, more research...and when/if I do go FI, this car should be a beast For now, she will stay a mean grocery getter with 490ish rwhp...as long as I can find a tuner!

Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated.

Also, Im looking at getting my 426 from Andy at PPP, says he talks to you often Mike, So ill say Hi for him
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Haha mike, I was posting mine about the 426 just as you posted yours

Quick Reply: LF 6.1L FI info :)