Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DITCHING the fmu with my LT1 vortech set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DITCHING the fmu with my LT1 vortech set up?

Ok long story short I am not getting enough fuel with my lt1 vortech v1 s-trim supercharger set up. I was running what is supposed to be an 8:1 fmu. Somewhere along the road it is not working properly. I tested the fuel pump and the fmu. It takes almost 30 pounds of pressure to get the fmu to regulate the fuel pressure to 80, where it should only take 5 pounds of pressure to do that job. So when my car starts making boost... no extra fuel is given to the engine.DANGEROUS!

So, from what I gathered scrapping the fmu is the BEST bet. That being said I would assume I need to go with larger injectors(not sure what size) and purchase a program such as tunercat, so I can map out the fueling over the rpm spectrum...

Can anyone help point me in the right direction with this topic. I know this a very serious issue. I am hoping someone can at least point me since this is all somewhat new to me, very overwhelming at times, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A set of 42# injectors should do it fine. You will also need to upgrade the in-tank pump and ditch the inline one that likely came with the kit. As far as the tuning goes, if you know how to tune, do it yourself. Otherwise, leave it to a proffessional to do a good dyno tune for you.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fire67
A set of 42# injectors should do it fine. You will also need to upgrade the in-tank pump and ditch the inline one that likely came with the kit. As far as the tuning goes, if you know how to tune, do it yourself. Otherwise, leave it to a proffessional to do a good dyno tune for you.
Yes, I actually updated the intank pump to a Walbro 255 pump when I installed the supercharger. I believe that pump is more than capable of doing what I need it to do. As far as the tune itself. I don't mind having someone get me started, but I would like to learn how to do it myself. I have heard many good things about tunercat for the LT1, although I heard Jet has something new out as well...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Get 60's and be done with it. If you go with a good set of ported heads down the road, you could max those 42's out.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Get 60's and be done with it. If you go with a good set of ported heads down the road, you could max those 42's out.
couldnt agree more, 60#ers are the lowest id ever go on a FI application. with the little cost difference youll be kicking yourself for not getting the 60's
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, getting the 60's is a good point... I don't think I should have much problem with the fuel injectors... but figuring out what to do instead of having the stupid FMU is giving me a headache. I would really love to learn to tune it. My old man just purchased and inovate lm2 to do some testing with. I was hoping that someone with an LT1 would have done a tune on a supercharged application with a program like tunercat or something similar???
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got some LT1edit tunes on a disk somewhere... And FWIW, I believe JET purchased the rights to sell the tunercat software/hardware under the name of "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner"...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fire67
I've got some LT1edit tunes on a disk somewhere... And FWIW, I believe JET purchased the rights to sell the tunercat software/hardware under the name of "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner"...
Yeah thats what I guy I know was telling me... I havn't had a chance to confirm it yet though. I know a guy that does tunes also on http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/ But not sure if anyone has dealt with them before and how well the tunes could be made without actually having my car available for the tuner to work with.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mail order tunes can never be 'right', they can be close though... For mailorder stuff, its best to deal with someone that has an extensive background with tuning similar combo's. You cant beat pcmforless.com for the experience level. Even so, I would never drop in a mailorder tuned pcm and go hammer on a boosted car. You would want to be able to view and log AFR, knock counts, and rpm at the least. This is why a good dyno tune should be mandatory for boosted vehicles.

Quick Reply: DITCHING the fmu with my LT1 vortech set up?