Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polishing aluminum wheels questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing aluminum wheels questions

got me some 17 X 10 Boyd Smoothie II's on the way..

have a few question about wheel care as all ive ever had was chrome.

1)What is everyone using as far as polishing the wheels. i have some mothers mag / aluminum polish that i use on my prostars? anything out on the shelves better??

2) once i get the wheel clean and polished up nicely can the wheel be waxed with regular car wax..ie Gold class. to provide some protection for them?

3) what about the clear coat in a can. how well does this stuff work. seems like i could get the them polished up nicely, wax them with some gold class and then spray the clear coat on them and be set for a few months..

anyone have some other advice for me??

Jeff W
Old 10-17-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Polishing aluminum wheels questions

If they're not clearcoated have them powdercoated clear and you'll only have to clean them with soap and water. No more polishing
Old 10-18-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone use mothers billet polish? im going to try that
Old 10-20-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

When I bought my Boyd's, I emailed them and asked what they recommended. Their answer was "Heavy Metal" polishes. I use them now, and they rock.
http://www.brilexsolutions.com/page6.html

good luck,
Shane
Old 10-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The regular Mothers polish you have is great. The Billet cost's more and some people say it shines a little better but for the amount of polishing you'll need (if the car is daily driven) I think you would better off with the regular Mothers polish.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

I drive on my iForged wheels everday, therefore I polish the wheels about every 2 weeks to keep it looking presentable (to me).

The best thing I have found for polishing wheels is Mothers Billet, hands down. If you do have a clear coat do not use metal polishes as they are abrasive and will damage the clearcoat.

I have found that polishing the wheels just after washing them (while they're still wet), allows me to remove the polish really easy using the same wash mit I used to wash them. Once I dry the car, I go over them with some Z2 and they're good to go for another 2 weeks. The Zaino seems to help with preventing water spots and oxidation on the aluminum.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used some chrome cleaner and fxcked mine up and started eating away the clearcoat.

is there anything i can do to fix this?

thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought a cheap drill from wallyworld and a polish kit from a local hot rod show. I used this setup on my polished ZR1's. I have pictures of them on my site (they're lower on the page). I recently upgraded to chrome ones .

I have a new set of Bogarts on the way, I plan to use www.zoopseal.com on them. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya'll just need to have them powdercoated clear. Never have to use polishes again, just soap and water
Old 10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya'll just need to have them powdercoated clear. Never have to use polishes again, just soap and water
I spoke to 4 different powdercoating shops. All of them say the clear powdercoat is not perfectly clear and leaves what looks like a haze on the wheels.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have seenread of powdercoated clear ones that look like mirrors. I guess it depends on who you take it to. If you can find someone that can do it and have no loss of shine it'd be worth it's weight in gold.

Or just have them cleared.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I've seen small parts that came out well. I'm sure a few places in California have it figure out. No one around here wanted to even attempt it.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

since i already messed up my TT II's by using chrome cleaner on them will a powdercoat still work?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

TTIIs dont have clear coat on them.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Powder coating will turn yellow in time ............in the sun!
TRUST ME
My friend's got a pair of Welds to prove it.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:38 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Wenol polish. I got turned onto the brand when I bought my Weld Wheels on a Camaro I once owned. I use the light blue tube during the course of the year, and the orange tube at the first sight of Spring (it's a little harsher and removes the baked on road salt). I used to coat them with a thin layer of Wax (Wax Shop), but found that they looked better without the wax.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Clear Coat in the can is the worst thing you can do to your wheels
as it will take away the shine and any abrasion will cause the clearcoat to chip.
Clear Coat is good for little parts i.e brake caliper brackets

Before I deploy in Sept I am planing on zoop sealing my Smoothie II
Old 03-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I spoke to 4 different powdercoating shops. All of them say the clear powdercoat is not perfectly clear and leaves what looks like a haze on the wheels.
They are correct.....you can never beat the brilliance of a polished alum. rim with one that has been clear-coated or powder-coated. I use Mothers as well .... buy a kit with the round applicators and wipe rags.....wet your applicator sponge with hot water and ring it out as much as possible before dipping into or applying the Mother's with it. This is amazing in that it doesn't leeave the fine scratches and it makes the Mothers work into the aluminum. Rinse the applicator sponge for each rim.

http://members.aol.com/bergerrefinis...02/berger.html
Old 03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

My 99 WS6 wheels are starting to look like ****. You can still see dark stuff on the lips even after a good hand wash any advice on this???
Old 03-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Im going to chime in with my 2 cents since i powdercoat for a living here in houston..

"I spoke to 4 different powdercoating shops. All of them say the clear powdercoat is not perfectly clear and leaves what looks like a haze on the wheels."

Those people must be idiots then because the clear coat i use has 95-100% gloss and would never leave a haze if it did i would name it haze coat.. and also the clear coat that i use is 100% UV protectant that means that no UV light damages yoru chrome and makes it fade and corrode..

"They are correct.....you can never beat the brilliance of a polished alum. rim with one that has been clear-coated or powder-coated"

I disagree with that you can get the same look with less cleaning because powdercoating is painting just a different form and jus tlike paint you can clean it wet sand it clay it whatever you want..

I have clearcoated and powdercoated hundreds of parts and I have had classic car guys bring me chrome fresh from packaging and have it clearcoated because it protects the chrome from rusting, corroding and fading.. But it is all in who you choose because some people might not use grade A powder and some people may not really know how to 'powdercoat' as far as preperation and what not..

Quick Reply: Polishing aluminum wheels questions