Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Discouraged about Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Discouraged about Dyno Results

About a year ago my best dyno was 393 rwhp 371 trqe, with a slightly restricted y pipe. Yesterday, I had dynoed again with an open y pipe and my best was 389 rwhp 369 trque. Is this normal. I was hoping to get up to 5-10 rwhp gain but did not. I understand about weather etc conditions. Everything was the same on car except new tires was at 35psi compared to 30 psi a year ago. Tuning was same Air/Fuel ration was between 13.1-13.5 across the board were as a year ago it was about 12.8-13.1 across the board. Any suggestions.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Tune up time? air filter dirty, new spark plugs needed?...and some cars dont gain that much with cutout because of a potent cat back. And weather as you said play a big role..

Looks ok to me. Some plp are putting a 1000$++ FAST setup and only sees about 5-10rwhp..so its not too bad for ya!

The cutout might be more efficient with a larger cam and better heads IMO.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Tune up time? air filter dirty, new spark plugs needed?...and some cars dont gain that much with cutout because of a potent cat back. And weather as you said play a big role..

Looks ok to me. Some plp are putting a 1000$++ FAST setup and only sees about 5-10rwhp..so its not too bad for ya!

The cutout might be more efficient with a larger cam and better heads IMO.
Thanks Man, I know the first time last year I dynoed I did clean the K/N air filter before dyno. This time I did not. I clean it once every few weeks. I have that ram air mod and whatever is on the road it gets picked up. Dirt wise. I did shake out the filter but not cleaned it. I have the copper plus plugs and have about 16000 miles on them. I have an SLP LM exhaust. Overall I am about the same from last dyno, but wanted to gain at least 5-10 rwhp with Y merger Mod.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to far apart to even think of comparing dyno results......

Its just a number....
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your air/fuel ratio is too lean this time around. This is probably causing spark reduction due to knock sensors pulling timing. Get the A/F ratio back down to 12.9-13.0 max during WOT & you'll see the true results. Good-luck

Time for new plugs
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Your air/fuel ratio is too lean this time around. This is probably causing spark reduction due to knock sensors pulling timing. Get the A/F ratio back down to 12.9-13.0 max during WOT & you'll see the true results. Good-luck

Time for new plugs
So would new spark plugs get me back to 12.9-13.0 and better dyno times?
Cause I am using copper plus plugs. Now they have around 16000 miles on them.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take the filter out before you dyno.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by corvet786c
So would new spark plugs get me back to 12.9-13.0 and better dyno times?
Cause I am using copper plus plugs. Now they have around 16000 miles on them.

No. The new plugs was a separate statement resulting from your 16000 mile comment. New plugs will help to ensure good combustion.

You're lean condition can be from several things:

-dirty injectors
-vacuum leak
-dirty MAF
-addition of breathers on valve covers in conjunction with an intake connected to the crank case
-incorrectly scaled MAF sensor due to intake related modifications, ie; bigger throttle body, intake manifold, intake duct sizing type of modifications.

I'd start be cleaning the MAF sensors CAREFULLY w/ die-elictric cleaner or (I use rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip). Don't damage the resistor wires while cleaning them.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No. The new plugs was a separate statement resulting from your 16000 mile comment. New plugs will help to ensure good combustion.

-dirty injectors
-vacuum leak
-dirty MAF
-addition of breathers on valve covers in conjunction with an intake connected to the crank case
-incorrectly scaled MAF sensor due to intake related modifications, ie; bigger throttle body, intake manifold, intake duct sizing type of modifications.

I'd start be cleaning the MAF sensors CAREFULLY w/ die-elictric cleaner or (I use rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip). Don't damage the resistor wires while cleaning them.
Are u sure its ok to clean the wires in MAF and it wont hurt them? Can I use seafoam for injectors. When should they be replaced. My car has 84000 miles on it?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I do it @ least twice a year. Just be careful while cleaning. Since it hasn't been cleaned, I'd say that it's likely part of the problem.

Seafoam is for cleaning intakes & combustion chambers mainly. Don't put it in your gas, it can gunk up your fuel filter. Use a Techron fuel injector cleaner in a 1/4 tank of gas or have the injectors proffessionally cleaned @ the fuel rail. If you can find an injector cleaner fuel rail kit, you can buy a can of proffessional cleaner @ NAPA (I don't remember the name, but it's behind the counter in a blue can). You need the fittings in a kit in order to use this cleaner. So, don't buy it unless you have a kit. Sometimes the kits can be found on e-bay or maybe a Google search will find one. Anyway, a can or 2 of Techron in the tank (1 bottle per 1/4 of a tank) should be sufficient.

Your injectors should be replaced only if mod's require more fuel than the current injectors can produce or when on fails. Yours are fine with a cleaning.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Speaking of fuel filters, might as well replace it while your doing the other maintenance. (unless it's been replaced within the last 10k miles or so).
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You know some dyno results are impressive with a new air filter setup? And some surprising **** happenned with changing spark plugs too..

Dont worry too much about this dyno.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys I appreciate all responses!!!!!!! I am goin to try the maf 1st and then sparks. My goal was to aleast get 400 to the wheels with my current setup. Which is:

LS6 Intake
222/228/115 cam
1.8 Crane Gld Race RR
SLP LID K/N Filter
Pacesetter LT w/ catted Y into inch, then 3 inch LM Exhaust
stock 10 bolt, alum driveshaft etc
stock 241 heads
Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
You know some dyno results are impressive with a new air filter setup? And some surprising **** happenned with changing spark plugs too..

Dont worry too much about this dyno.

Those of whom have read & understand the thread realize that the discussion is about how to correct the lean condition of which is a potential for engine damage & is the likely reason for the lost power resulting from reduced timing due to engine knock.

This isn't kindergarten, most in this section understand the BS numbers that dynos can create in order to produce bogus marketing numbers. The dyno numbers being discussed have revealed a lean condition of which is being addressed.

Nobody's claiming that jacking off on the intake will add 5 RWHP here.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most good oil change of vehicle service garages can do the injector rail cleaner it does a great job it's like night and day.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

-dirty injectors
-vacuum leak
-dirty MAF

LS1 450 You were right. I just got done cleaning the MAF I have no screen. Man it was so dirty. My Idle was a lil up and down to now it is smooth and consistant. When will I notice a power gain again? When will it recover the power loss. Thanks Man
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by corvet786c
LS1 450 You were right. I just got done cleaning the MAF I have no screen. Man it was so dirty. My Idle was a lil up and down to now it is smooth and consistant. When will I notice a power gain again? When will it recover the power loss. Thanks Man

For normal driving, it will take a few days of driving & you probably won't notice it; maybe in throttle response from low RPM's. In regards to WOT power, it should be an immediate improvement unless dirty injectors are part of the problem. The MAF can now accurately measure the air entering the intake & add fuel accordingly. With a dirty MAF, the MAF sensor cannot measure the airflow accurately. So, more air enters the intake than is measured & the car runs lean as a result.

You should continue with your maintenance by cleaning the injectors (any method you choose is better than none), plugs & fuel filter.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

For normal driving, it will take a few days of driving & you probably won't notice it; maybe in throttle response from low RPM's. In regards to WOT power, it should be an immediate improvement unless dirty injectors are part of the problem. The MAF can now accurately measure the air entering the intake & add fuel accordingly. With a dirty MAF, the MAF sensor cannot measure the airflow accurately. So, more air enters the intake than is measured & the car runs lean as a result.

You should continue with your maintenance by cleaning the injectors (any method you choose is better than none), plugs & fuel filter.
I already changed the fuel filter about 15-20000 miles ago. So I gues Can I use the Techron fuel additive. Will this really work?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id change fuel filter every 10-15k if it was me and plugs too just to be safe.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I changed my fuel filter about 15000 miles ago should I do it again. I changed my plugs about 16000 miles ago should I do it again?