LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Introduction and couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and couple questions

Hey I'd like to start by introducing myself. My name is Jeremy and my 94 z28 was my first car when I turned 17. Ive had her now for 8 years and am now able to start giving her some much needed tlc. Im am going to start by pulling the engine because every seal is leaking from a lot of time sitting. Before I do I was planning on doing a leakdown/compression test to find out her unseen health. One question is, what numbers should I be looking for to say everything is sealed tight? Assuming its in good condition I was going to be putting on some bolt on mods (58mm TB, Longtubes, CAI,) as long as fixing the leaking seals. Also wanted to upgrade the intake mani so was wondering which one is my best bet? (lt4, ported stock?) Also will be bolting on one of the LE packages as soon as I decide on one. A couple things that I already have done to the car is a street/strip 4l60e rebuild, 3200 stall, and cutout. Nothing major and she's basically stock so looking forward to giving her some love. If you cant tell the car is very sentimental so if you have any suggestions on other things I should do, it would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

IT would be easier to do comp and leak down with motor outside of car.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How many miles? If its a lot, you may want to consider picking up a new short block or rebuilding the old one while it's out. If its not too many, a compression and leak down test will tell you it's condition. I don't remember exactly but I thought it was something like 180-190, but more importantly, you want all of the cylinders to be consistent.

Don't get a new intake mani, port the stocker only when you are going to install the heads/cam package. On that same note, don't install the 58mm TB until you install the heads/cam package also. I'd just get it leak free and reinstalled with LT's and a CAI. That should really wake it up.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Teching In

mileage is about 110xxx btw
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

If the motor is coming out for a rebuild anyhow, I'd take the opportunity to have it
honed, install a nice set of forged pistons and fresh rings/bearings. A new set of rods
with better fasteners will allow the engine to tolerate more RPM. You could also bring
the deck down to .005" and optimize quench. Between deck height, gasket choice and
piston selection, you can easily get your compression exactly where you want it.
(Somewhere between 11.0 and 11.5 will be excellent for a typical LE2 setup on premium pump gas)

Don't waste your time/money on an aftermarket manifold.
Have LE port the stock one to match the heads and support the TB of your choice.

With a fresh bottom end, you're in a position to make the most of your H/C/I install.
You won't be able to wipe the grin off your face once you have your foot buried deep in the carpet.

Like ss.slp.ls1 said, remember to compliment the H/C/I install with a good cold air intake,
free-flowing exhaust and a good tune.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Alldata
The lowest reading cylinder should not be less than 70% of the highest and no cylinder reading should be less than 689 kPa (100 psi). Perform compression test with engine at normal operating temperature, spark plugs removed and throttle wide open.
stroke it
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgroh89
The lowest reading cylinder should not be less than 70% of the highest and no cylinder reading should be less than 689 kPa (100 psi). Perform compression test with engine at normal operating temperature, spark plugs removed and throttle wide open.
Hmm I thought it was something like no more or less than 10% of the average.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

You know re reading it that sounds right I just copy and pasted it from Alldata Online. Ill check in mitchell tomorrow. I also have a Factory 93 lt1 book
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Just checked out Mitchell and it says the same thing
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Teching In

If it passes leakdown/compression tests, would i be safe it just doing the H/C/I or should I refresh the bottom end since she has about 110k on her?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NocturnalLT1
If it passes leakdown/compression tests, would i be safe it just doing the H/C/I or should I refresh the bottom end since she has about 110k on her?
Entirely up to you. Some wouldn't give it a second thought at 150k+ miles, some would rebuild it first with 100k on the clock. It's up to you. If your oil pressure is strong, I wouldn't be too concerned.