General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front Bump Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bump Stop

I posted over in handling and braking, but I thought this was a good place to discuss this.

I'm going through the process of replacing my front shocks.

A couple years ago, I had the dealership install Koni SA's which I have regretted ever since because he did a lousy job and because it puts me at an information disadvantage now.

I never saw the stock shocks. I told him just to throw them away.

The Konis now need to be rebuilt so I bought some Gabriel shocks from Autozone to use until I get the Koni's back.

The Gabriels, and every other "stock replacement" shock I've looked at just comes with the bare shock. No dust boot. No bump stop. (whereas the konis and bilsteins seem to come with everything in one nice clean package)

I'm told that the stockers have both a boot and a bump stop.

It irritates me a great deal that the "stock replacement" shocks don't have what seems to me to be a necessary component.

Am I supposed to transfer the stock boot and bumpstop over?

What do you guys do when you swap front shocks?

Do you run without boots and stops?

I'm about to go pick up a moog boot/bumpstop kit from Oreilly's. But I'll be amazed if it actually fits/works properly with these shocks.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about the plastic shield that goes over the chrome rod yes you should swap it over.
Well I support the car not under the contorl arms in the front. On the passenger side there should be two bolts that are in the lower contorl arms, take those out. Then up top there should be three bolts on the top and then you will have to wiggle the whole assembly out. After you get the assembly out, you will have to rent a spring compressor and take the spring loose. Then reverse the process.
On the driver side you will have to take the brake master cylinder off, DO not disconinect the brake lines only the two nuts that hold the master to the booster. Then do the same process as on the passenger side.
The only part that is tricky is getting the rod that is attached to the shock threw the rubber bushing that is in the upper contorl arm bracket.
I have not seen a bump stop on mine but mine has been modified a bunch.

Quick Reply: Front Bump Stop