Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know...Another PTV Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know...Another PTV Question.

Here is my issue. I have the cam in my sig which is a reverse split. It posted great #'s, and a nice tq curve.

I just recently purchased a set of Cartek 4x heads. Call it impulse buying, but I recently learned that the heads have been milled down to a 60cc-61cc chamber. (about .030)

The heads do have stock valve sizes, but after some pm's, it doesn't look like that cam is going to fit without clearance issues. So I see that I have two options.

1. Flycut the pistons and keep my current cam...or

2. Plan on a different cam altogether that is spec'd for these heads.

What opinions do you guys have? My current cam made such great #'s, but I want to optimize my setup.

Thanks for any/all thoughts about this that you can share.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

If your current cam made such great numbers, it would be stupid to change the cam to avoid flycutting.
Get an in the head flycutter from Lindy tool corp. Don't up the hp with heads, then lower it with the wrong cam. Use your heads...all three of them
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I just want to make sure that the cam I have won't shortchange the heads I will be putting on.

I had read once that a "reverse-split" cam was best for a cam-only application. But if my heads will work with it, then I will fly-cut.

Does fly-cutting change the geometry? In other words, will I need to change the length of my current pushrods?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmtt
I just want to make sure that the cam I have won't shortchange the heads I will be putting on.

I had read once that a "reverse-split" cam was best for a cam-only application. But if my heads will work with it, then I will fly-cut.

Does fly-cutting change the geometry? In other words, will I need to change the length of my current pushrods?
When you put on the milled heads you might need shorter pr's.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmtt
Does fly-cutting change the geometry?
Flycutting cuts material off your pistons.

Are you sure flycutting is the word your looking for?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

As soon as I hit Post Quick Reply this came up on the top of the forum https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php...ictureid=13089
It's pictures of a guys flycut pistons. You will understand, after looking at these pics, why I ask if you know what flycutting is, there is no way this can change the geometry of anything.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
As soon as I hit Post Quick Reply this came up on the top of the forum https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php...ictureid=13089
It's pictures of a guys flycut pistons. You will understand, after looking at these pics, why I ask if you know what flycutting is, there is no way this can change the geometry of anything.
Thanks. After I thought about, I see what you are saying.

I'm currently running a 7.425 pushrod with my cam. I won't be doing it though! I will let my car guru take care of that. I just have to get the tool.