Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Info

I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6. LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake Pacesetter Headers, Corsa exhaust.

I was recently approached in buying a turbo from aguy who makes them himself, I was wondering if I go Twin Turbo what will I need to upgrade on my car so it doesn't fall apart or blow, list everything please because I would like to build it strong before applying the TT, I do not want to take any chances.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Yates69
I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6. LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake Pacesetter Headers, Corsa exhaust.

I was recently approached in buying a turbo from aguy who makes them himself, I was wondering if I go Twin Turbo what will I need to upgrade on my car so it doesn't fall apart or blow, list everything please because I would like to build it strong before applying the TT, I do not want to take any chances.
If you don't want to take chances, then leave it stock and don't rev past 5500 RPM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On stock engine run no more than about 7psi. And get a decent fuel pump like racetronix and at least some 42 pound injectors ,60s are better. You will need way to tune the car,either buy something like hptuners or be prepared to pay for tuning.
You didn't say whether you are clutch or auto. If auto 4l60 will die at higher boost levels or you will for sure need a built one. If clutch stock clutch won't last long. t56 trans are actually pretty strong.
Rear end of course with t56 likely have to upgrade that pretty quick. Can get by longer on auto with stock rearend.

If you really want to do a turbo system right you need a forged engine. Stock cranks are ok unless you are going bigger like 408 or whatever . Forged pistons and rods are good idea for sure forged pistons stock pistons are not boost friendly and any mistake will usually destroy them.

I would make sure whoever is building the kit is reliable shop many many members have lost big money on turbo systems including me.I went with smaller shop, actually sponsor on board and lost 2000 bucks when they went "under " on me.

I went with APS this time around they are big company and been around a long time.
They shipped the kit ahead of schedule and it was of course made for the car.
Have extra money probably double what you think you will need. Most of us have way over 20k into our turbo builds not including price of the car. 10k engine, 6000k turbo, 3000k rear end, maybe another 3000 or more on trans. 2000 fuel,etc.etc.

Cheap and FI usually are too words that don't go together.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Smile

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
On stock engine run no more than about 7psi. And get a decent fuel pump like racetronix and at least some 42 pound injectors ,60s are better. You will need way to tune the car,either buy something like hptuners or be prepared to pay for tuning.
You didn't say whether you are clutch or auto. If auto 4l60 will die at higher boost levels or you will for sure need a built one. If clutch stock clutch won't last long. t56 trans are actually pretty strong.
Rear end of course with t56 likely have to upgrade that pretty quick. Can get by longer on auto with stock rearend.

If you really want to do a turbo system right you need a forged engine. Stock cranks are ok unless you are going bigger like 408 or whatever . Forged pistons and rods are good idea for sure forged pistons stock pistons are not boost friendly and any mistake will usually destroy them.

I would make sure whoever is building the kit is reliable shop many many members have lost big money on turbo systems including me.I went with smaller shop, actually sponsor on board and lost 2000 bucks when they went "under " on me.

I went with APS this time around they are big company and been around a long time.
Have extra money probably double what you think you will need. Most of us have way over 20k into our turbo builds not including price of the car. 10k engine, 6000k turbo, 3000k rear end, maybe another 3000 or more on trans. 2000 fuel,etc.etc.

Thank you so much for putting so much time into my question. I really appreciate that, I didn't have to ask any follow up questions, you just answered everything and than some. Thank you. And coming from someone who has gone down the Turbo road the right and wrong way it is a really big help. Im only 24 so FI is not the way looking at those costs, because I would want to do everything I could to have the minimal risk of hurting the car. My baby

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

+1, couldnt have answered it better myself.