Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me pick some components to my turbo motor build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me pick some components to my turbo motor build

I recently got a twin turbo kit from another board member. I have all my nitrous stuff for sale and am wanting to get a motor in the works for my new kit. The turbos are precision 67's and I would like to make as close to 1000rwhp as possible.. if possible. I plan on a iron 408 with a rotating assembly from tsp probably with:
Callies crank
Callies rods
Weisco pistons
and all upgraded bolts

When is it neccasary to upgrade to like the dragonslayer crank or the more expensive rods? Whats the benifits for the extra money?

Im not sure on cylinder heads. I was liking the tfs 235's but the ported out ls7s from tsp are looking good to for the money. Whats everyones opinions on that?

And for a cam? What cam has been a repeatedly exceptional turbo cam. Any off the shelf cams a sponsor might carry or would I need to look more into a custom grind?

I also have a fast 90/90. Would you sell that setup and buy a ls6 and put the other money to use somewhere else in the setup or just keep it? If you need any more info. let me know.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock cranks can actually take good power but nice to have a forged one. I doubt you need a super expensive crank for 1000rwhp . Don't hear very often of cranks breaking.
I figure my engine can take about 1000rwhp. I was planning likely 800rwhp or so from the turbo kit which are bit smaller than your turbos and maybe another 200 from direct port. Thats one reason plan for now to keep my fast. They seem fine to 20psi and have a few tricks to try on them if have problems. You shouldn't need to go past 20psi anyway if you built like a 408.

I like thick deck heads like my AFR.
Cams are a huge kettle of worms. But lately seems most like something like 232/240 600 or so lift and 115 to maybe 117 lsa. I got mine cheap so giving it a try. I got 1.8 rockers to up the lift to close to that 600 number. I didn't want to go too high on lift FI applications can give valve float even with good springs if you go too high on lift. I wanted no lope and no surging. My cam so far seems to fit the bill. You will hit the max power of the turbos on boost no matter what heads,cam,etc. Just that might hit max power say at 15psi rather than 20psi if you have better flowing heads,cam,etc.
If you want more than 1000rwhp or instant spool up keep your spray. There is no reason not to use it with the turbos. Just run smaller shots. They work fine together.

Quick Reply: Help me pick some components to my turbo motor build