Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

problems with brights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default problems with brights

So I never gotten around to fixing this problem but when I pull on my lever to turn my brights on it doesn't click. So I checked on ebay and found a new lever but its like 40.00 and I'm not sure if thats what my problem is. I don't want to spend the money and find out I got to replace something inside the steering column. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bear with me... but im pretty sure there is a little junction box with 4 wires (brown green tan and black) and that is what the clicker part is. Im pretty sure more gms are the same and you can prolly get one from newish model GM and have it work. Or just buy it new i dont think its too much. Its located on the left bottom of the steering column and there should be a rod that leads up to your high beam\turn signal lever. That clicker may have just taken a dump. hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Ok I see what your saying...trying to find a part number for it right now just not real sure what its called. Also how and the hell do you get the plastic off on the steering column to reveal that piece. I dont want to just pull and it break, I dont see no screws or anything.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Ok so I have done some research and need alot of help I think. So I think the part I need is wiper switch (in steering column, connected to control lever) = 26098535 ...this is off of LS1 tech parts forums. I have no idea even where to start to replace this part or if this is the right part I think its number 23 off of this diagram. So I tried to find a better pic of it and this is what I came up with So I really need to know if this is what I need to get my brights to work again. Also where is a good place to buy this part (prices I came by is 80.00 - 130.00) How do I remove the plastic surround around the steering column and if I have to remove steering wheel what precautions do I have to take to make sure the airbag doesn't go off in my face. I know there should be fuses but is there anything else. I know this seems like alot to ask for but I'm clueless on what to do and I miss my brights.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Ok just realized that blow up is from a Lt1 not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Uhhh, no. The part is number 83 - dimmer switch. And it's on the outside of the column down near the pedals (no plastic to remove).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the same problem thatnks for asking this Q.

ill be seeing it 2moro
Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Down near the pedals??? Ummm...I dont get that part, I mean I figured it would be the wiper switch up by the lever. Why would it be down by the pedals I,m lost lol.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 1sicLS1
Down near the pedals??? Ummm...I dont get that part, I mean I figured it would be the wiper switch up by the lever. Why would it be down by the pedals I,m lost lol.
Why would you replace a wiper switch when your headlight dimmer isn't working?

Looking at your parts diagram you'll see that the dimmer switch near the base of the steering column (#83) is operated by a rod (#77) which connects to the multifunction lever at its pivot point in the steering column just below the steering wheel. The dimmer switch is a push on/push off type switch. When you pull the multifunction lever toward you, the end inside the column pushes the rod down the steering column, tripping the switch.

The ignition switch works the same way. The switch itself is near the bottom of the column and is operated by a rod connected to the key cylinder.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Launching!

ok lol...I know it sounded dumb, but I figured it was the was the wiper switch because I didn't here the clicking part up by the lever. After what you explained that makes more sense I just don't see where its located. Also can't seem to find a damn part number or anything for this. I type in dimmer switch and it keeps bringing up the headlight dimmer on the dashboard. Not what Im looking for, anyone have any ideas
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Part number 26035242 Switch, HDLP DIMR 97-02 F-body
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Thank you so much..appreciate all the help you have given me. Thats why I love this site
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same problem a long time ago on mine. A plastic piece had fallen off right below the turn signal stalk. Very hard to get the plastic case off.. but it does pull out. The piece that had fallen off was covered in a heavy grease type substance, but when put back in place allowed my brights to work again (and click)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guy for discussing this subject. My 96 z28 has the same problem. Now that I know where the part is located, I'm going to try to get it taken care of in a few min.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Just fixed the problem without a new switch. Seems that the screws that hold the switch in place slid down and the rod was not fully engaugeing the switch. I simply slid the switch close to the rod and screwed it tight. Works like a brand new one. Just some thing to check.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
Same problem a long time ago on mine. A plastic piece had fallen off right below the turn signal stalk. Very hard to get the plastic case off.. but it does pull out. The piece that had fallen off was covered in a heavy grease type substance, but when put back in place allowed my brights to work again (and click)
I've got the same problem, how exactly did you figure out how to get everything back in there right?