General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leak!

So I pulled my car off the street today to put it in the driveway and I noticed a decent sized puddle from where my rear end would've been. It must've just started today because I haven't seen it before. Anyone have any ideas? I really hope its not gonna go out because I really don't have the money to replace it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

pinion seal or possibly just the cover gasket, did you try and look where the leak coming from back there???
Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Well I can't really get it up in the air at the moment because I'm tearing apart my dad's 3.4L camaro to change the head gaskets so the jack stands as well as the garage are unavailable. For some reason though, it didnt seem to be leaking after I got to work. I checked underneath it and didn't see anything on the ground so now I'm confused as to what this could mean... It's either not coming from my car or it just leaks when I'm not watching it. I'll find out later since I just put some towels underneath the rear end to see if it is my car or not but if it isn't I have no clue where it came from since I'm the only one who parks there.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the level by removing the fill plug and making sure there is fluid right to the bottom of the fill plug hole. The leak is almost certainly from the cover gasket or the pinion seal. Cover gasket is easy to replace, pinion seal not so much. Some seepage from the pinion seal is normal however.