General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

"Buffeting" noise at the windshield base @ 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Default "Buffeting" noise at the windshield base @ 75mph

Car-2002 WS-6 Trans Am, 6-sp with 20K miles.

I picked my wife and daughter up from the airport late at night and we drove home on the interstate with the stereo off. My wife and I both noticed a "buffeting" sound at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. She could tell that it was coming from my side as well.

I could lean forward to get my head closer to the sound and I was almost certain that it wasn't a rattle inside the dash.

When I got off the interstate onto a 55mph road, the sound was much, much less noticeable. By the time I was on a 45mph road, there was no sound.

This leads me to believe that it is something outside such as the black plastic at the windshield base. Maybe its fluttering in the wind? Any ideas.....besides turning up the stereo !
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck...i've been trying to find the same damn thing on mine, on the passenger side!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't even driven the car since that night. I pretty much need to get to the interstate which is about 15 miles from my house and I've got no reason to go in that direction.

Anyway, I did look at the plastic covering at the base of the windshield by the wipers. It does look like they could flutter in the 75mph wind rush.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe the washer lines?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _JB_
Maybe the washer lines?
Another thing that I'll check. Thanks.

Danny
Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I discovered what causes this, as I had it occurring as well. At the base of the windshield on the outside is a plastic cowl that can come loose and vibrate against the windshield, as the only thing holding it in place are plastic tabs. I just put some rubber between the windshield and the plastic cowl and all is well.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tekone
I know this is an old thread, but I discovered what causes this, as I had it occurring as well. At the base of the windshield on the outside is a plastic cowl that can come loose and vibrate against the windshield, as the only thing holding it in place are plastic tabs. I just put some rubber between the windshield and the plastic cowl and all is well.
Tekone, thanks for that information. I haven't noticed the buffeting on any of my interstate drives over the summer and into this winter. Maybe it fixed itself but if it comes back I'll check those covers and put some black silicone under them.

Quick Reply: "Buffeting" noise at the windshield base @ 75mph