Sponsored by:

fore el sicks tea e

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fore el sicks tea e

Hello,

Currently running a 4l60e with ~ 60k miles on it and has no problems. I want to buy a built trans at some point but I have a question:

What are a few things I could do to help my stock trans last a little longer and make it stronger until I can do a new trans??

I really don't want to tear it down too far.

Trans-Go kit a good idea?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest thing you can do to help the stock tranny life is install a tranny cooler. High temperatures are a transmission's biggest enemy so if you can keep the temperatures as low as possible it will help immensely. This is a little more necessary when running an aftermarket torque converter since they slip more than the stock one and generate more heat, but I am sure even a stock converter setup will benefit from a cooler. To help with the heat you could also do a deeper pan that holds more fluid to help keep the temperatures down and keep the transmission from getting starved of fluid during hard acceleration.

There really isn't much you can do to help the strength of the stock tranny that I know of, a shift kit should help with some of the slip on the shifts which I hear will help but its not really making the tranny any stronger.

Basically the stock trans is just a ticking time bomb anytime you start doing mods and making more power. Get a cooler to help prolong it a bit and start saving for a built tranny and then you will be golden. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice.