Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

What's better? Locked or Unlocked Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's better? Locked or Unlocked Converter?

I keep hearing a lot of things on this , I currenlty have my car unlocked but i've heard that locking it will give me more power. Any input? thx
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it wont "GIVE" you more power....it will just show more power. I heard locking the convertor on the dyno is hard on the transmisson.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

in other words is better off leaving it unlocked...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't lock it at wot. They're just numbers.

You going to lock it at the track too? If not then there's no point unless you're looking for excessive slip because you suspect a problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are various reasons why the converter can be locked during dyno session, showing the highest numbers possible should not be one of them. Stock converters will show no more then 5rwhp from my experience, where as aftermarket units can go as high as 50rwhp or more. Locking the converter will show numbers closer, but not equal to, a manual equipped vehicle. Only converters with billet front covers should be locked during WOT, and even then only if it is a multi-disc. The transmission won't care, so long as it is applied previous to going WOT.

Having said that, why are you asking? What are you trying to accomplish? And finally, what are your mods?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

i got my car tuned and dynoed a month ago and the numbers werent so great because the converter was unlocked... havent said that i want to see where i'm at as far as hp and tq.. cammed a4 3200 stalled slp lid lt headers ls6 intake manifold...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to the track before your mods and after and see what the difference is. Dyno's are usefull if you take it to the same dyno to get a feel for the amount of change. Nothing more. Unless you need increase you internet warrior status.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Dyno's have alot of real uses as well lol. I do agree with ya it has alot to do with chest thumping internet bench racing wars. I like to dyno tune my vehicles and also test/tune at the track and also have it street tuned. The dyno brings it in really close to the street tune and similates the driving experiences, but only the street and where you normally drive is optimal. I see it alot of time where a street tune is done on a back country road doing WOT and standing on the brakes, do you do that when you are cruising to work or to the strip? I often wonder how many actually drive their normal routes when doing so as to get the best "street" tune they can acquire.

At the track I tune for conditions as they are presented, tho I no longer bracket race I do go for fun occassionally and it always plays a pivotal role in my time. Again it is specified to the direct conditions and it makes no sense to come in with your street tune.

I like the dyno tune over a mail order for the obvious reasons, but I guess what I am getting at is that seat time is also required to get the best of it all. Get it cloe and then fine tune it. I remember a few years back when they came out with a 3 setting tune controller and I wanted to get one so badly but it was well out of my price range. Basically all you had to do was store the tune you wanted onto the controller and at the press of a button it could change. So if you had your street tune on and came to a light and the time came where you needed your performance tune voila push the button and its on like donkey kong. It has been awhile since I looked into that option but I wonder if it is still a viable option or if the design has progressed into something more affordable. Cool Idea none the less.

I know what I said alot of you already knew, just thought it was something I felt like talking about this morning
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

thanks for the input guys! great info!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

thanks guys

Quick Reply: What's better? Locked or Unlocked Converter?