General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

exhausted list of annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhausted list of annoyances

Ok. here is my list of things i want fixed on my car that drives me nuts. any help would be great

1. rear hatch sticks and i have to hit it over and over again for it to pop up. walking back and forth looks stupid and gets really old.

2. my two front tires are brand new no cuts or leaks but i keep loosing air. wtf? i have the z06 rims off the c5 17n front 18 rear with bfg gsport.

3. its a 2001 ss. very low to the ground and the long tubes hit every thing and the shocks are stiff as crap and when i hit a bump it feels like something fell off. now i have an annoying rattle on my cats, which va made me put on, , but whatever it keeps the idle at 1000 instead of 2000 so whatever. the main thing is here that i want to know if this is normal for an ss or has my car been lowered by a previous owner. the long tubes are like a half inch off the ground.

4. i need a third brake light. for an ss, the v6 and z28s are different.

5. My sub rattles everything in the car almost. what did you audio guys do to counter this?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1/2" off the ground...WTF.

My car is lowered with G2 Super Springs (1 1/2" front and about 1 1/4" rear) and my LT's are 3" off the ground. I clear everything except real bad bumps and driveways.

Either your lowered way too much or the roads are really high around where you live.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VeitSSki8701
1. rear hatch sticks and i have to hit it over and over again for it to pop up. walking back and forth looks stupid and gets really old.
Even when my car was brand new my hatch never popped up after hitting the button. I hit the button and then I have to lift my hatch to open it, its pretty heavy.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you hit the hatch release button but it does not release, what you can do is unscrew the rubber bump stops on the hatch a little. It will make you give more force to shut the hatch, but when you hit the release the hatch should push up just an extra bit to clear the latch so when you walk back to it the first time and lift it it will open. It's somewhat of a design flaw, such a large hatch all glass makes it heavy, and the angle the pistons are at when the hatch is closed gives it near zero force upwards opposite of the latch. And if the pistons that help open the hatch are shot, that will prevent the hatch from releasing when you push the button, you might need new pistons.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VeitSSki8701
Ok. here is my list of things i want fixed on my car that drives me nuts. any help would be great

2. my two front tires are brand new no cuts or leaks but i keep loosing air. wtf? i have the z06 rims off the c5 17n front 18 rear with bfg gsport.

3. its a 2001 ss. very low to the ground and the long tubes hit every thing and the shocks are stiff as crap and when i hit a bump it feels like something fell off. now i have an annoying rattle on my cats, which va made me put on, , but whatever it keeps the idle at 1000 instead of 2000 so whatever. the main thing is here that i want to know if this is normal for an ss or has my car been lowered by a previous owner. the long tubes are like a half inch off the ground.

4. i need a third brake light. for an ss, the v6 and z28s are different.

5. My sub rattles everything in the car almost. what did you audio guys do to counter this?
1. Common problem - lots of folks have done the home depot spring mod. It involves putting an extra spring on the latch mechanism... Do a search for it.

2. More than likely your valve stems are either defective or they were installed dirty. Take them to another tire place and have the stems replaced.

3. Check and see what kind of springs you have, note color and other features (or take pics and post them here), perhaps they can be identified, that or the exhaust system needs tweaking.

4. See if you can get the p/n off the broken one, or see if the dealer can provide part numbers.

5. Sorry, can't help you with this one...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

well i worked at a chevy dealer and i know i can get the parts i need there but they are always too high. i was looking for a part out or something. i did find one i think on the parts classified. THis post surely makes me sound like a newb. but take my word for it im not. Im just stuck and baffled. As for the suspension and exhaust issues. I need to get some pictures taken up close so you know what I am talking about.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls6427
either your lowered way too much or the roads are really high around where you live.
lmao!!!