PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cam throwing misfire code

Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new cam throwing misfire code

well, i put the Gen III hotcam in yesterday. it would almost die when id come to a stop and disengage the clutch. once it learned the cam a little bit, it drove fine. it does start to die right after start up and also in reverse.

anyway, im getting crazy misfires during idle, but none during higher rpm.

is that easily fixed with a tune?

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS#1230
well, i put the Gen III hotcam in yesterday. it would almost die when id come to a stop and disengage the clutch. once it learned the cam a little bit, it drove fine. it does start to die right after start up and also in reverse.

anyway, im getting crazy misfires during idle, but none during higher rpm.

is that easily fixed with a tune?

thanks,
Jeremy

Definatly fixable! I'm still learning my HP Tuners software, but I'm about to wake my car back up with a shot and get a wideband in the car...so I'm hoping i can continue to learn a little bit more then.

The code can either be deleted, or by simply tuning the car the computer wont throw the code. If you plan on modding more than BPU, go grab a copy of HP Tuners Pro, it will come in handy trust me! Like now, if you had HP tuners, you could send me a copy of your tune and I might could tell you how make your car a little more driveable
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

whats the cam specs again? I experienced this and I had to raise my misfire threshold a tad. from some of my tuners they say its just how things end up threshold wise with certain cams. make sure for a fact that your car is running right and that you aren't really getting "real" misfires. I knew my car wasn't so we had to play with the thresholds and now she runs fine.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

218/227 525/525 112lsa

car is running good and strong. my father n law is a gm mechanic. put his scan tool on and checked the code. i think it was PO300, for misfire. so we watched the misfires as they were happening. they were only happening at idle, which is about 750-800rpm.

i have no idea what the misfire threshold is. is it a set amount of misfires that the pcm deems abnormal?

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quickblue2
Definatly fixable! I'm still learning my HP Tuners software, but I'm about to wake my car back up with a shot and get a wideband in the car...so I'm hoping i can continue to learn a little bit more then.

The code can either be deleted, or by simply tuning the car the computer wont throw the code. If you plan on modding more than BPU, go grab a copy of HP Tuners Pro, it will come in handy trust me! Like now, if you had HP tuners, you could send me a copy of your tune and I might could tell you how make your car a little more driveable

oops, missed your post. how much would that cost me?

ive thought about getting into tuning, but its way too expensive for what im going to need. im done with mods on this car. its my new daily driver and im leaving it alone now.

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been told to make the misfire detection 3-5 times less sensitive. however, it will depend on the cam you run. i think you can just make it less sensitive at lower rpms. this is the exact same problem that i have with my TR224 cam. i took 20% out and i still get the code so this wasn't enough for me. i have a fairly small cam as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just go get it tuned at a local shop....... fix all of your issues
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS#1230
oops, missed your post. how much would that cost me?

ive thought about getting into tuning, but its way too expensive for what im going to need. im done with mods on this car. its my new daily driver and im leaving it alone now.

thanks,
Jeremy

You need a bigger cam

HP Tuners is $600 i believe, or $750 for the Pro version. The proversion can accept inputs from external sensors, like a wideband or EGT.

Also, if you go to get your car tuned from a shop who uses HP Tuners, they may charge you a "fee" to unlock your computer + Tuning. Although you only have to unlock it once, i instantly saved money the first time i got it tuned, of course i also had to drop off my laptop with my tuner since the unlock was tied into the laptop with my HP Tuners software.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

You didn't think that after doing a cam swap, that you would half to get the car tuned? That is what I'm getting from your post.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nick1ta
You didn't think that after doing a cam swap, that you would half to get the car tuned? That is what I'm getting from your post.

im not sure why you have the two smile guys dueling. and im not sure how you got that from my post.

when i put the cam in my camaro, i didnt have any type of SES codes, even before the tune. i just want to know if this is common on an LS motor. if so, i wanted to know how it was being fixed (even though i dont know a whole lot about PCM tuning).
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quickblue2
You need a bigger cam

HP Tuners is $600 i believe, or $750 for the Pro version. The proversion can accept inputs from external sensors, like a wideband or EGT.

Also, if you go to get your car tuned from a shop who uses HP Tuners, they may charge you a "fee" to unlock your computer + Tuning. Although you only have to unlock it once, i instantly saved money the first time i got it tuned, of course i also had to drop off my laptop with my tuner since the unlock was tied into the laptop with my HP Tuners software.
ill probably just send my pcm off to someone and have them do a tune for me. i dont have many mods, and im not going to. jesse bubb just replied to an email i sent him. i'll probably have him do it for me.

as for a bigger cam, i still have to pass CA smog.

thanks,
Jeremy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new cam throwing misfire code