Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems

I have a 2000 Camaro Z28. The radio some on and off whenever it wants to. My windows also don't work (I think its just cause i don't know heavy window) anyway. I took it to the dealership and they said i had "major electrical problems" that would also be shorting out my window motors. were they right or do you think its just a bad radio.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Your dealer is either trying to get rid of you or wants to make as much on service as possible before going bankrupt. They obviously didn't really look at your car or else they're just incompetent.

The problem has nothing to do with your radio. Your Body Control Module (BCM) is going bad. The worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new BCM for about $200 (you can install it yourself in just a few minutes). But, if you have a little electrical experience (or have a friend that does) you can probably fix the BCM for nothing. Check out this thread for more information about the fix.

BTW, this problem will not damage your window motors in any way (which is a good thing considering how bad the motors are to start with).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Teching In

awsome thanks man where might i get a bcm?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

junkyard.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, a used BCM can't be reprogrammed to match the resistor pellet on your ignition key. So you'd have a 1 in 15 chance of getting a used one that would let you start your car. There are ways to work around that...you can bypass the VATS system or you can get the dealer to scan the used BCM to determine the programmed pellet value and then cut a key just like you have now except with the different pellet in it.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, a used BCM can't be reprogrammed to match the resistor pellet on your ignition key. So you'd have a 1 in 15 chance of getting a used one that would let you start your car. There are ways to work around that...you can bypass the VATS system or you can get the dealer to scan the used BCM to determine the programmed pellet value and then cut a key just like you have now except with the different pellet in it.
so all i have to do is get a new key? like car key?

I have been to other mechanic places and everyone seems to think I'm talking about a throttle body. A dealership would know exactly what I'm talking about?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Reilly 00 Z28
so all i have to do is get a new key? like car key?

I have been to other mechanic places and everyone seems to think I'm talking about a throttle body. A dealership would know exactly what I'm talking about?
If you get a used BCM, you would probably have to get a new ignition key that has the same cuts as your current key but with a resistor pellet that matches the used BCM (there are 14 different resistor values so you have a 1 in 14 chance that your existing key would match). There are two problems with this option - even if your dealer knows how to scan the BCM for the correct code they will probably charge a lot of money to do so, and the used BCM may still have the same bad solder joint problem. You would be far better off to fix your current BCM using the method described in the link posted earlier. Even if you don't feel comfortable doing the soldering, you could remove the BCM and have a friend or somebody else do the soldering for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

I am having the same issue. Call a few electronics repair places, they said it would be under $10 for them to resolder whats needed.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I was just about to post this exact same thing, glad i did some reading before doing so, I'm actually a tech at a gm dealer and this through me for a loop since they don't share a ground, splice or anything else except the bcm and didn't really want to buy a new one of those cuz ya fml they are expensive. Thanks for the input!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Did mine this evening and so far so good! Thanks whitebird