Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bridging my amp question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bridging my amp question

ok guys heres the setup

i got a power class pc650 5 channel amp

and i got a P210D2 Punch Stage 2 10" subwoofer in a subthump box

Im getting bass but no where near what I should be getting out of it

its connected right now i believe on a 2ohm load but i want to bridge it and get that extra power out of it and make my trunk dance can it be done and if so how would i do it?

my lil brother just says i have to switch the postive and negative terminals to where its plugged into the sub part in the amp and I just wanted to ask before i do it and ask if it can be done because although its a good amp its an older model and im not sure if it can handle bridging.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure that the amp is bridgeable?......not all amps are bridgeable
Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Launching!

according to someone who is selling the exact amp i have online this is what they wrote

PPI PC650
50x6@4ohms or 200x3@4ohms, or any other combo of bridged/unbridged.

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 03-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Launching!

the amp right now is powering 2 alpine speakers in the door

It is also powering 2 kicker speakers where my rear seats are

then the amp has a mono channel i wanna say that is only being half used to drive the 10" rockford sub.

I looked online and found a instruction manual for the amp and according to the picture it is driving 2 subs and 4 speakers. This is what makes me wonder if i can bridge this mono channel to gimme a little more funk in the trunk.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Launching!

for the mono channel it says subwoofer on top of it and
it looks like this

+() ()- being used by sub now () blue wire +() ()- not being used

thats what that channel looks like

so i was wondering if there was a way to use that whole mono channel to drive that sub since 2 slots arent being used and gimme more bass.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most amps are bridged by using the (+) terminal on one channel and the (-) terminal on the other channel. Im not sure on this for your amp, but most amps are done this way.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Launching!

alright well i bridged the amp and the sub hit harder then ever but the bass still sounded weird, you could even say it rattled and not thumped. So the idiot i am was showing off how loud the system was to my little brother because i have 2 hear about how loud his system is in his car. So on the amp, I adjusted the sub gain higher but i still didnt put the volume up too high on my HU. It was stillloud enough that my mom heard it from down the block then came 2 flip out on me. I turned off my car, but when i turned it back on i wasn't getting any response from the sub at all. This sub is practically brand new its a rockford p2. I unscrewed the sub from the box and checked the wiring and it seemed fine. I dont think the sub blew because it didnt pop or anything. I was told it would make a weird sound if i pushed it in gently if it did blow. I tried lowering the gains and everything but im not getting any response.

So first question: do you think i blew my sub?

2nd question: how can i test the sub to see if its still working?

3rd question: The amp is a Precision Power PC650 according to the instructions it says that its
50 WRMS x 6 @ 4 per channel
100 WRMS x 6 @ 2 per channel
200 WRMS x 3 @ 4 bridged

If i have to buy a new 10" sub which sub will make my ears bleed? Like seriously i wanna hurt my brothers ears cuz im annoyed. Im not trying to buy a seperate amp. With the setup i got whats the best sub for my buck. I really wasnt crazy about the rockford p2 anyway, but im hopeing its still alright. I want it to fit nice in the subthump box and I want a headache.
Help me out
Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Launching!

I decided that if i have to get a new sub its going to be
a KICKER CVR10 10" Comp VR DVC SUB WOOFER 07CVR104 D4
heard good things about it and the price is only 50 bux on ebay

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 03-21-2009 at 04:51 AM.