Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found some problems wile swaping intake please help i need you guys!

Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy found some problems wile swaping intake please help i need you guys!

hey guys i really need your help.
well im in the process of swaping my intake from a ls1 to a bbk ssi intake ans after i pulled the stock intake i found some problems.

there was oil inside the intake behind the tb and when i got the intake out of the engine bay there was wet oil on the intake bolt threads and oil at the bottom of all the intake gaskets and the gaskets look about shot.

i know these cars are known for sucking oil but it kind of scared me a little and the car has been running a little rough lately at lower rpms and feeling a little slugish but it was fine once the rpms got up and i have also noticed a very little faint white smoke from the exhaust once and a wile so that makes me think the oil was geting in the combustion chambers.

the engine was swaped right before i got the car(car is a 98 with a 02 long block from a ws6) and i noticed that some of the intake bolts where tighter than the others and 1 was just tighter than finger tight.

so wile the car is apart in the garage in going to take the time and paint the valve covers,coil brackets and the coils since i know im going to have to order and wait on some parts.

so from what i know there are 2 fixes a catch can or the ls6 pcv swap and i need some help and insight on what to go with to fix it for good.

also like i said earlyer in useing the bbk ssi intake and i need new gaskets so which ones to go with?

sorry for the long read im just a little worryed about my baby and i dont want to have to keep buying parts here and there i just want to fix it for good.

thanks for your time guys and help me the best you can thanks again and in advance.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pick up a set of stock replacement Felpro intake gaskets, you can get them at your local parts store. My factory gaskets weren't too bad but I figured I may as well swap them while I had the intake off, I have a BBK SSI as well.

I had the same problem as you with the shitty PCV system, switching from Mobile 1 5w30 to German Castrol fixed it for me so I didn't go any further. I think I just got lucky though, I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Last edited by 4150; 03-14-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Junkie

like 4150 said, you can pick up some felpro intake gaskets... http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000723

you might also want to look into upgrading to the LS6 PCV system... http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

and getting a catch can... http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html
Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

do some research on the LS6 PCV, i have heard too many stories of people doing all that work on their blocks, installing it, and still having the same issue.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

well my engine is a 02 so i dont think i will have to grind the block(going by what ls1howto.com said).
like i said in the op i want to do it once and be done with it.
can anyone help with some more info or experiances?
and thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

oh and what is the best solution the ls6 pcv kit or the catch can?
thunder racing sell the kit for 160 heres the link to the ls6 kit and the catch can it on top of it so the link is for both parts.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=316
and the hose that comes with the ls6 kit does that hold the pcv valve?.
the rubber pcv valve holder that i have goes on the side if the intake by the coils but it tore so i had to make my own.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also a new reversion of the PCV valve itself (LS1 pcv valve). the older style has a check ball type of configuratoin, the newer one as a smaller hole instead of the check ball type of PCV, do a search and you will find more infomation.

But to have that much oil, you could have some bad rings that didn't seal. did you do a compression check or a leak down test before you took it apart?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

no i dident do any test like that but the car runs perfect that i know of and feels very strong.
i ordered a catch can from the ws6 store along with the new style pcv valve so i hope it will work.
the amount of oil was not a lot but enough to worry me a little there wasent puddles of oil just a decent amount and im 95% shure its from the pcv line because i took the pcv line apart and there was oil in it.
thanks for the help guys and let me know if you got any more idea's.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Launching!

shaun,

The actual engine is fine isn't it? i.e. there's no cylinder wear or worn piston ring issues?

Have you done a compression test on it to confirm it cranks a decent pressure?

If the answer to these Q's is confident; then IMO go for the LS6-type valley plate and PCV system, with it venting to a catch-can.

A tip whilst changing valley plates or even removing the one you have and replacing same, is to give the knock sensors a good check over for condition.
If they are good then waterproof them with a suitable preservative grease and re-fit. Then when re-connecting the connectors & harness to them ensure the rubber plug that press fits onto the valley plate are made as water-proof as possible too.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

The LS6 PCV system did nothing for me. BTW, mine is an 02 and you do have to remove a piece of the block unless you have the LS6 block.

The car can run fine & have ring & blow-by issues.

Oil behind the throttle body and in the intake is not uncommon.

When you go WOT are you throwing a bunch of oil smoke out the exhaust? If so, your problem transcends the PCV.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kenp
The LS6 PCV system did nothing for me. BTW, mine is an 02 and you do have to remove a piece of the block unless you have the LS6 block. The car can run fine & have ring & blow-by issues.
Oil behind the throttle body and in the intake is not uncommon.
Mine had a 2001-built LS6 block (last four digits on left rear of block were 1168) and that needed the small lug removing for the valley plate mod.
After fitting that it didn't seem to do anything for my consumption issues either. Engine oil usage stayed steady at 500-750ml every 3,000 miles (1/2 to 2/3rds of a quart).
But converting it to vent away to a catch can made a lot of difference to the whole intake system; It stayed clean and dry.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 AM
12 Second Club

i just went and ordered a catch can from the ws6 store and i should get it thursday.
i also got the new style gm pcv valve so maybe that would help also.
got my intake swap done tonight it took me a few days because i had to order a new set of gaskets for the intake the old ones where smashed up and i dident want to risk them leaking.

i drove it for a few miles and it felt really good and im going to get to the dyno soon and get a retune and to fix some shifting issues. ill post up pics of the finishes install once i get the can in and clean it all up.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Launching!

since your installing that intake, are you using diffrent bolts? if you are can you sell me all ten stock ones? i have paypal ready

Search this Thread