General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Screwball window motor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Screwball window motor question

Hey all, thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to provide. (I can usually handle virtually any repair that our vehicles might need, but this one has me a bit puzzled.)

Not too long ago, the driver's side window in my DD stopped working - more specifically, it'll roll down (possibly due to gravity) but when you hit the switch to raise it, you get nothing. Nada. I figured that the window motor was a likely culprit, since the car has just gone over 100k miles, so I bought one & pulled the door panel today, then removed the window motor, only to find THIS:

(Sorry that it's a bit blurry.)

As you can (hopefully) see, there is a multi-strand metal cable coming out of the regulator assembly. From what I can tell, the end of the cable fits into one of the "recesses" (for lack of a better term) that you can see around the edge of the ivory-colored plastic piece. Unfortunately, I have not been able to return the cable back to where it appears to have come from.

I'm guessing that the "proper fix" would be to buy & install a new regulator assembly, but 1) I'm currently looking for work, & 2) I'm not especially inclined to put much money into this car - once I get back to work, I'm planning on trading this one in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either return the cable to it's proper position, or otherwise make this work? Otherwise, I might just have to wedge the window into the fully-raised position until I can trade the car...

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is a GM vehicle of the same age as the LS-powered F-bodies (although it isn't a Camaro/Firebird). This site is pretty much the only place that I have enough faith/trust to ask about this...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 03-15-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add'l info
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

their 40 bucks at autozone and easy to replace. I have to look at my z's window motor and window track. its goes BANG BANG BANG BANG at the top and bottom. so i am suspecting busted teeth on the motor rather than the track.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I just called my local Autozone, & they quoted me $119 for just the regulator itself. Unless I hit up the junkyards, it's looking like I'm going to be wedging the window into place...
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

119? sure they didnt quote ACDelco parts or a pair of the regs? their aftermarket parts are cheaper.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that was for just one...

I finally gave in yesterday & took it to a shop that we used to use, just to see what they had to say, & as soon as the guy saw the cable sticking out, he said "Yep, that's all I need to see - it's done!" The fix is indeed a new regulator. He told me how to do it, not sure which way I'm going to go with it yet...

Happily, the shop didn't charge me anything...