Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Problems. Please Help.

A while back I was driving my '00 TA WS6 on the highway. When I started to slightly accelerate, the engine just revved and the trans seemed as if it came out of gear, but it still felt like the clutch was somewhat engaged because it was still barely accelerating. This started to happen about 2-3 times every time I drove the car. The rest of the time it acted perfectly normal. Well, I ignored it, hoping it would go away. A couple months later the 3rd and 4th clutch fried, so I took it in to a tans shop and they rebuilt it completely. I got the car back and it was still doing the same thing. So I had a talk with one of the mechanics and he said he had no idea what was causing the problem. He told me to wait until something completely broke. So a couple of weeks ago, with only about 10k miles on the new trans, the 3rd and 4th clutch went again. Luckily it was still under warranty so it was free to fix. I talked with the head mechanic this time and he said that all cars with this type of trans have this problem. He said to keep it in 3rd when in the city because when the car is at about 40, it has trouble deciding to go into overdrive, and he said to use cruise control when on the highway (which I can't because of traffic). So I try to keep my foot on the throttle as much as possible. Unfortunately, it still happens. I know it can't be the trans because it is brand new. I thought it could be the computer so I had the dealership update all of the available software to no avail. So, here I am clueless as to what to do. To summarize the problem, it only revs when it's in 4th and I give it more than 1/4 throttle. The clutch is trying (like, on a manual, when you have the clutch pedal partly depressed). If I slowly accelerate and it starts to do this, I can give it as much gas as possible and it still just revs. If I quickly give it throttle it will usually downshift and work perfectly. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want the clutches to go again and this time not be under warranty.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Unfortunately the shop didn't fix anything. They just replaced parts.
Good shade tree tactic because you can get the customer rolling twice on $60 worth of frictions.
Reading what the guy said about driving in 3rd tells me they have no clue about the countless upgrades there are to the 3rd circuit and 3-4 clutch.

What you describe now sounds like a 4th cutloose probably in the 3-4 clutch (not the band). You've felt it, the clutches have slipped and overheated a few times already.

You need to take it to a shop that will tell you what they're going to do to be sure it lasts.
Tell the new shop what you said here, they should respond back in a way that tells you they know the 3-4 is a problem with these and what they do to fix it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Well, I finally got it fixed. I took it to several more transmission places, and they didn't have a clue. I could feel that the 3-4 clutch was about to go again so I caved in and took it to the dealership. They rebuilt it for the low sum of $3,000. It now seems to be doing good and I have yet to have any problems with it. The previous shop did a complete rebuild so I don't know why they didn't fix it. It really pisses me off that I gave the $1,500 and they didn't do a damn thing. So, $4,500 later I hopefully have a good tranns. Keep you fingers crossed for me.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats got "Better buisness bureau" written all over it.