LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I could really use some usefull help here please read

Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could really use some usefull help here please read

Ok.... heres my question my car is burning oil it has been for the past year.. i know the rings and other parts are gone. Ive been told by countless shops it would cost easily $3,000 to fix so ive ignored it. Heres my question

The pod that I have set up on the driver side, The one guage i have shoes

Lean .........stoch..........rich Ive noticed for the past couple months driveing the car that the car is running rich. If its lean it lights up Red stoch is yellow and rich is green they are boxes..

When it shows rich its in the first 2 boxes so my question is.

without putting the car on the dyno or anything is there anything i can do do figure out why my car is running rich.

Im short on cash and any help would be great. Im not a mechanic so if you know something please explain it to me in english ...LOL... Thanks !
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If your car has been burning oil for a year there's a good change your O2's are gunked up with residue, this would create a fale reading making the PCM fatten up the A/F ratio. Keep in mind the A/F gauges that "piggy back" off your stock O2's aren't that reliable and I wouldn't necessarly trust that your running rich just because the gauge says you are. I know this because I've got one and it says all kinds of crap. Every time I accelerate is says I'm way lean and when I decel it says rich and then lean. If I'm just driving normal it jumps all around. I got it when I didn't know any better and I thought it looked cool! Now it's just filling a hole untill I buy a coolant temp gauge to replace it. Anyway has your mileage gotten worse over the past year? Does the exhaust smell like it's running rich? My suggestion would be to inspect your O2's and see if they have oil residue on them. They will be black but they should not appear to be moist of have any build up on them. Another thing to check would be plugs and wires depending on when your last tune up was. But thats getting pretty far ahead if your just going off the A/F gauge. I would guess you problem is going to be related to your burring oil problem

Search this Thread