Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans tunnel mount TQ arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans tunnel mount TQ arms

Looking around at the bolt in front mount tq arms. I have only seen Spohn and UMI that offer these. Any opinion and pro's and con's.

The car currently has Strange 12 bolt with stock tq arm and pulls low to mid 1.40 60ft.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Umi before i went to my Fab 9. It came with its own trq arm. I liked the umi, but its kinda heavy..

I have seen alot of broken spohn.
You are lucky to have made it to 1.4's i broke my stock trq arm with 1.8 60's.

Chris
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jegs makes one as well which I'm running.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

i have the umi and snaped my frist one. but umi saw my post and asked for my info and sent out a new tq arm. two days later i got the new one and its alot beefer. Oh and some tunnel mounts are noise clunking and banging mosty the umi or spohn type where the tq arm has a two bolt poly bushing swing mount. good luck on your setup i am shooting for 10's did alot of scaleing of the car and pulling weight.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

i have an Alston Chassis tq arm, it bolts up similar to the jegs one, around the tunnel.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Madman and wolfe also make the type you're looking at, but those weld a crossmember into the frame connectors.

Any stock style will also work with a BMR corssmember with tq arm relocation, which is the route I took. Works pretty good.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

The wolfe tq arm looks good. However we had a new BMR tq arm and decided not to use it due to the weight & trouble of having to work around the front weld in mount in case we had to work on the car or trans
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Race your car!

BMR has a couple different setups. One is a stock tranny xmember replacment that puts the TQ arm on the mount instead of the tranny tailshaft, which is what I used with my TH400 swap. It's worked out very well.

They also have the extreme setup which is a crossmember that welds to the subframe connectors.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
11Second Club

I am going with a full length torque arm and the crossmember replacement that JL ws-6 is referring to. That way you get the extra leverage from the length, there's no concern about the exhaust, and the TA is exerting force on a structurally sound part of the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
BMR has a couple different setups. One is a stock tranny xmember replacment that puts the TQ arm on the mount instead of the tranny tailshaft, which is what I used with my TH400 swap. It's worked out very well.

They also have the extreme setup which is a crossmember that welds to the subframe connectors.
Do you see any advantages or disadvantages from running the "track pak" style short tq arm set up vs the crossmember mounted long tq arm? I'm going with the long tq arm mounted to the crossmember since I'm swapping in a TH400.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Race your car!

The way the short tq arm is set up you won't have the adjustability of moving the front mount up and down like you will then you use the stock lenth and the tranny crossmember.

I was able to get the car on the bumper with the long tq arm and the crossmember, so it can hit off the line as hard as the short arm so I am throwing that whole short vs long arm out the window. It's more where your instant center is, and wether you can adjust it.

I never really played with it after I put the travel limiters on the car to get it to stop standing up, but I think there may be some more to get out of it. I have it 3 holes up from the bottom right now.. I want to try measuring the pinion angle, lower it one hole from where I have it and reset the pinion angle right to the same and see what that gets me, then try moving it up 2 holes from there, reset the pinion angle and see what that gets me.

I need a rental day for that though, and a couple friends to come with me that are enthusiastic enough to work on the car at the track a little more then just changing the bottle LOL.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The way the short tq arm is set up you won't have the adjustability of moving the front mount up and down like you will then you use the stock lenth and the tranny crossmember.

I was able to get the car on the bumper with the long tq arm and the crossmember, so it can hit off the line as hard as the short arm so I am throwing that whole short vs long arm out the window. It's more where your instant center is, and wether you can adjust it.

I never really played with it after I put the travel limiters on the car to get it to stop standing up, but I think there may be some more to get out of it. I have it 3 holes up from the bottom right now.. I want to try measuring the pinion angle, lower it one hole from where I have it and reset the pinion angle right to the same and see what that gets me, then try moving it up 2 holes from there, reset the pinion angle and see what that gets me.

I need a rental day for that though, and a couple friends to come with me that are enthusiastic enough to work on the car at the track a little more then just changing the bottle LOL.
I would be really interested to see some pics of your setup if you have some.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Race your car!

It's a standard BMR adjustable chromoly tq arm, this one:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/torque%20arm/TA001.jpg part # MTA001

And this tranny mount:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TCC006.jpg part # TCC010

It allows the front of the tq arm to be moved up and down like a madman, wolfe, etc. Pinion angle is adjustable, and it allows a full lenth tq arm to be used.

Note the sig pic, no limiers = rear bumper on the track, 150 shot off the transbrake.

Limiters on the car calm it to a 1.37 to 1.42 60 foot depending on the track, but I think there's some adjustment left to get it into consistant mid 1.3's with no additional power. Just need a day and a die hard friend to go to the track and play a little.

Only problem is, that the car's sitting, and is in the process of losing another 300 lbs, so it's gonna be a different monster when I get it back out. nevermind the power is going up too.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Iam looking at getting a Midwest Chassis Short Torque arm. It allows you to adjust the arm in the front along with set the pinion angle. Its pictured on this page http://www.midwestchassis.com/products.html The car makes 600rwhp and 700wrtq at the moment. Would i be better off going with a long torque arm set up or would this short one work out ok?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Race your car!

Everyone has a differnt theory on it, but from what I have seen you can hook with a longer one and there's less of a chance of the car trying to go on the bumper.

Does that mean a car can't work with a short arm? Absolutely not it can work and does, but they also tend to want to stand up more not more forward.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Well after some looking and thought I think we are going to try the UMI tq arm and see how it works out for us
http://www.umiperformance.com/2203?category_id=13

Thanks for the info JL ws-6. My brother has the same tq as you on his TA. He's had problem with the stock front trans bracket bending.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Race your car!

The entire concept that GM used for the stock tq arm mounting is retarded. Whoever drew that up was having a retarded thought. Putting all that load on the tranny case, a crappy flimsey mount and the poor tranny mount itself... it's amazing that stock power doesn't just rip the tranny mounts out of the cars.

Oh yeah that's right it does
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

general theory is more power...longer arm, less power, shorter arm. however in my own car i run a short arm with almost 800rwhp. it all depends on gearing, tires, shocks, trans, launch rpm, etc. a short arm car will be a bit more aggressive on the tire in most cases. a stiffer shock setting, tire pressure adjustment will help usually. a turbo application, auto trans-footbrake and most drag radial cars will make good use of the short arms.

i manufacture all different types of torque arms and crossmember configurations to suit anyones needs. the website will be updated soon and alot more products will be added then.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Race your car!

So if I'm swapping to a 325 radial from a 28x10.5S tire the shorter arm could work better?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick96ss
Iam looking at getting a Midwest Chassis Short Torque arm. It allows you to adjust the arm in the front along with set the pinion angle. Its pictured on this page http://www.midwestchassis.com/products.html The car makes 600rwhp and 700wrtq at the moment. Would i be better off going with a long torque arm set up or would this short one work out ok?
I have a midwest chassis tq arm and it works great really strong and its chromoly, it bolts right in to the tunnel mount...

pulled 1.38 60fts with stock 10 bolt, 3.23 gears, and 275/50/15 MT drag radials, cam only...