General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE SEE POST #10 (3-31-09)

so its been raining here for several days off and on and i happened to find water in the rear seat area when i got off work. pics are attatched and thats after i dried alot of it up. i had 4 ponds 1 in each back seat part where your butt would sit and 1 in each floor board where your fit would be if your riding in the back seat.

anyone had this issue? what the hell could it be t-tops????

sorry the pics are dark it was dark and i only had a flashlight.

PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks, Hunter
Attached Thumbnails Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-water-1.jpg   Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-water-2.jpg   Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-water-3.jpg  

Last edited by CaMaRo67RS355; 03-31-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude that sucks! my guess would be the t-tops, first check to see if there is a water trail anywhere on the insides of the sail panels. that could help pin point the location.

the easiest way to figure out if it is, would be to run a garden hose (or take it to a car wash) over the top to see exactly where it is leaking. it's already wet inside so it's not gonna mess anything up that isn't fucked up already from the rain.

if you don't want to do it that way, you can get a can of compressed air and spray all along the weather strip from the inside and have someone on the outside of the car feeling for air leaking out, or vice versa.

have you had the stripping replaced recently?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

classic t-top leak....rear outside corner.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
classic t-top leak....rear outside corner.
how do i fix it?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
dude that sucks! my guess would be the t-tops, first check to see if there is a water trail anywhere on the insides of the sail panels. that could help pin point the location.

the easiest way to figure out if it is, would be to run a garden hose (or take it to a car wash) over the top to see exactly where it is leaking. it's already wet inside so it's not gonna mess anything up that isn't fucked up already from the rain.

if you don't want to do it that way, you can get a can of compressed air and spray all along the weather strip from the inside and have someone on the outside of the car feeling for air leaking out, or vice versa.

have you had the stripping replaced recently?

i used the garden hose idea several times but no luck didnt have a chance to do the air idea yet. the weather stripping is what the car came with it just turned 68,000 miles yesterday but i always have put that stuff you can get at the parts house on it to keep it in good condition looks fine and is very soft with no cracks....
Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

i can just about guarantee that it is coming from between your hatch and your sail panel. if you park facing down hill it is far worse. if you open your hatch and look toward the front of the car you will see a large area where water pools up at. what happens is when i rains a lot that spill over area fills up and spills into the interior of ur car. this same thing happened to my car. the engineers who designed this car should have put weep wholes there but they had other concerns in mind like performance. so i put my own weep holes in the car i took a quarter inch drill bit and drilled thru where the water pools and took a quarter inch outside diameter rubber hose and routed it under my car thru the fender wells so the water can drain out under my car not inside of it. make sure you silicone around the hose and where you drilled so it doesnt cause rust. i hope this helps. and oh yea if you decide to do this make sure this hose doesnt get stopped up cuz the water will just spill back into your car so if it stops up just run a undone coat hanger thru the hose. good luck it only took me like thirty minutes to keep water from coming into my car!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta put the t-tops back on before leaving it in the rain... duh!!

Water leaks suck because they are invisible. Everyone has good ideas, but in short, I would wait until it rains (or garden hoses), and sit in the car and feel and look around. Pulling the rear seats & the headliner will tell you A LOT!!

I have an '07 G6 GTP coupe that leaked like a colander and I had it to the dealership 3 times. They hire some ***-bag outsourced company that "fixes" leaks. When I finally looked into it myself, I found it was just a mis-manufactured moonroof drain tube and fixed it myself.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

im trying all the ideas is hasnt rained since so i dont know if it worked im working on creating the extra weep holes antsls1, i did take an air hose and blow out the existing weep holes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by antsls1
i can just about guarantee that it is coming from between your hatch and your sail panel. if you park facing down hill it is far worse. if you open your hatch and look toward the front of the car you will see a large area where water pools up at. what happens is when i rains a lot that spill over area fills up and spills into the interior of ur car. this same thing happened to my car. the engineers who designed this car should have put weep wholes there but they had other concerns in mind like performance. so i put my own weep holes in the car i took a quarter inch drill bit and drilled thru where the water pools and took a quarter inch outside diameter rubber hose and routed it under my car thru the fender wells so the water can drain out under my car not inside of it. make sure you silicone around the hose and where you drilled so it doesnt cause rust. i hope this helps. and oh yea if you decide to do this make sure this hose doesnt get stopped up cuz the water will just spill back into your car so if it stops up just run a undone coat hanger thru the hose. good luck it only took me like thirty minutes to keep water from coming into my car!!!

+1... if you park down hill.. its hard for water to travel out of the gutters in the hatch area and ultimately ends up in your back seat area.. i'm actually going to try this on my car.. as I have the same problem with my t top z car.

hope this helps
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation Damn it again!!

well we got some rain over this weekend and looky looky again.......... ive checked everything ive done the garden hose thing and everything what else is there there is no sign of water anywhere on the inside besides whats already wet.......

there is a picture below of what i saw there was wetness behind the drivers seat and where the backseats were but there was a puddle behind the passenger seat as seen in the picture
Attached Thumbnails Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-getattachment.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

no other ideas?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say next is pull up the carpets and plastic panels.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

ok well it rained again and there is a puddle forming where the passenger side rear seat would go where your butt would sit... i stuck my hand underneath the panel and felt the carpet where your back would be if your sitting in the backseat and its wet underneath could it still be the t-tops or do you think its the hatch?????
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would guess the hatch. But you'e gonna have to isolate the problem to find it. Duct-tape (or otherwise) seal the hatch & all surrounding areas. If you still have a leak, then you know it's the t-tops.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem and it ended up being the seal around the hatch. I went and got some black rtv sealant and that fixed the problem. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Park with the nose pointed uphill. This is what I did
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if your carpet would be the same as mine, I have a 2002, friend spilled a 40 ounce diet coke from subway, the biggest cup they sell, on the front floor passenger side. pulled over and soaked it up with napkins, later that day i pulled the carpet up and found the carpet is waterproof, it has a waterproof rubber backing so no soda leaked through to the metal underneath the carpet. so then i got the garden hose, carpet shampoo and wet/dry vac and cleaned it. hopefully you can do the same, sucks about your seat though.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
not sure if your carpet would be the same as mine, I have a 2002, friend spilled a 40 ounce diet coke from subway, the biggest cup they sell, on the front floor passenger side. pulled over and soaked it up with napkins, later that day i pulled the carpet up and found the carpet is waterproof, it has a waterproof rubber backing so no soda leaked through to the metal underneath the carpet. so then i got the garden hose, carpet shampoo and wet/dry vac and cleaned it. hopefully you can do the same, sucks about your seat though.
it worked its way underneath the rubber i got some of the ozite lightweight carpet but before i put it in i gotta find this damn leak
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Teching In

I would say it is the hatch. I have read up a bit about this due to the fact that I had a small leak. Mine has never re-surfaced but my t-top well in the back of the car had almost 3" of water in it. I have just tried to keep it out of the rain since but even driving it in a torrential downpour I have not been able to re-create the issue. Good luck bud.

Quick Reply: Help:water leak help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!