Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valves wont seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Valves wont seal?

I assembled my engine this weekend. After assembly I decided to do a leakdown test for a baseline. I was getting 30% to 40% leakdown so im pissed. I get to listening and hear air leaking at the valves. I spray some WD-40 in the exhaust and its leaking so bad it makes a fog comeing out of the head. I check and all the valves are leaking. you can see some parts of the valve sealing some bubbling and others just blowing air.
A little more backround. When I disassembled and inspected the heads there was some damage to one seat and a couple valves, probably spark plugs ground straps that blew up when I lost my fuel pump last fall. I figured these heads had four seasons on them so I had the machine shop cut the seats and grind the valves. I checked the contact pattern with a marker but I did not lap them, I was told you do not need to lap them after a new valve job.
Any suggestions?
I have not called the shop (non sponsor) yet they are not open yet.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all valves to make sure they are bent, lap the valves. I used kerosene to check my seats, its a little thinner than gas. Just fill the port up with a little kerosene and if it leaks, keep grinding