Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Dash repair - Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash repair - Any suggestions?

Hey everyone.. I've got a 1995 Trans Am. It was the target of a malicious vandalizism a few years back. I have since repaired or replaced EVERYTHING that was destroyed except of one thing. The dash. My dash pad was cracked when the idiots threw a cinder block through my windshield. Also, the portion of the dash directly above the instrument cluster was damaged as well. My question is this: Would it be cost effective to have it repaired or should I replace my dash and dash pad. What kind of cost am I looking at either way. I found a few local places here in the Fort Worth area that will come out to you, and repair the dash. I was told to check out the following places:

- Auto Interior Refresh

- Advantage Interiors

- Upholstery Fix

Any input would definitely be appreciated!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone.. Sponsors perhaps?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eeeeeek. Anyone?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are those shops around here or just types of services to search for?

I would think the price to repair would be cheaper but it depends upon the amount of damage and the quality of the repair. If you can tell it's a repair then I would try to locate a car that's being parted out and take the dash. The top "pad" part is just velcro held in so it can be replaced easily. The rest is a different story.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as the dash pad IF you have all the pieces to it still you can glue them back together, lay fiberglass on the under side, let dry, sand the top smooth(maybe some ever coat to get real smooth), then paint or cover with a material.....I redid mine for about 40 bucks and I don't plan on it cracking again

or search some junk yards for an LS1 style dash & pad...just a thought
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM

Upholstrey Fix, Have you talked to Steve from them yet. He used to work with me at and I have seen some of the work that he has done and its nice. He will be honest with you and what he can and can't fix too. Give him a call
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Are those shops around here or just types of services to search for?

I would think the price to repair would be cheaper but it depends upon the amount of damage and the quality of the repair. If you can tell it's a repair then I would try to locate a car that's being parted out and take the dash. The top "pad" part is just velcro held in so it can be replaced easily. The rest is a different story.
I believe those are local Dallas / Fort Worth shops. I would hope the price to repair is cheaper than junking it and starting over with a new dash.

Originally Posted by crossroads
as far as the dash pad IF you have all the pieces to it still you can glue them back together, lay fiberglass on the under side, let dry, sand the top smooth(maybe some ever coat to get real smooth), then paint or cover with a material.....I redid mine for about 40 bucks and I don't plan on it cracking again

or search some junk yards for an LS1 style dash & pad...just a thought
I would like to "upgrade" to the newer style dash but honestly it would be a royal P.I.T.A. ...As for the top dash pad, do you know anyone who can do that kind of work and make it look brand new and would charge me less than $75? I know the going rate for a brand new dash pad is roughly $145.

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
Upholstrey Fix, Have you talked to Steve from them yet. He used to work with me at and I have seen some of the work that he has done and its nice. He will be honest with you and what he can and can't fix too. Give him a call
I haven't talked to Steve but I will give him a shout on Monday (unless you have his email address). I plan on going to the paint and body shop today (where my car is currently getting painted) and snapping several detailed pictures of my affected areas on my dash.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I bought a NOS gm dash pad for my camaro for $180.00 I originally glued and glassed my original but didn't like the results so dug deep in the pocket and got a new one.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

I replaced mine after the sun cracked it

after repair

Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

OMG!!!! That was the repaired dash afterwards? Whoever did that job, did a freakin' GOOOOOOOD job! I am impressed. Mine dash isn't ANYWHERE near THAT bad.. I was at the paint and body shop about an hour ago, so I took a few pictures of my actual damaged portions of my dash.. Opinion and input is always appreciated! (I did my best and tried to take a few decent up close pics to give you guys a pretty good idea of the damage)..

Quick Reply: Dash repair - Any suggestions?