LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Rear Tire Suggestions?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Tire Suggestions?

Wnt to the dealer today my rear tires are shot due to the -1.75* camber so now im in the market im thinking harder compound and possibly even a smaller tire like a 215..... this is for two reasons one is when i autocrossed last summer the rear tires stuck too much i couldnt get them to slide at all two is weight savings i looked for a weight comparison on bridgestones 225s vs their 215 and its six lb a tire i read that for every pound you lose in unsprung rotational weight its like losing 8 lb off the body 12 x 8 = almost a whole tenth off the 1/4 any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car might actually handle better if you dial down that negative camber. Increasing the grip on the rear only encourages understeer under hard cornering, mostly due to the amount of negative camber. You could also go the route I did, which is to massively beef up the rear suspension for the same effect. Negative 1.75 degrees is a lot, and you might want the next set of tires you put on to last a bit better as well. If you decrease that camber to maybe -.9 to -1.1, you'll probably find the car easier to handle with just about any set of tires you want on the rear.

As another note, I'm a suspension freak, and even though the w-body handles like a hovercraft, I tweaked my older L67 a lot. One thing you might want to try is to zero out the toe on the rear. This causes the rear to follow a wider turn. In other words, set toe to 0", which is consequently 0" cross toe in the rear. Take it hard around the corners, and you'll feel the benefits.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i had them fix the camber, its set so i dont end up with another set of tires down to the cords in 16000 more miles im more intrested in going in a straight line anyways
Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Is you car lowered?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

no i think im going to go with Pirelli P-Zero Nero
P235/50R-18 they are all season and overall three lb lighter each and they arent going to break the bank
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recomment BFG KDW up front There are some cheap *** tires on sale on tire rack right now. $90 for some 225/235 50-18. With the BFG up front u would have gereat traction and with the cheaper rear tires a lot less should get it to slide around.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

An autocrosser that's more interested in going in straight lines? I'm confused...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey paul treat these car a little like your on dirt with rwd. U know turn right to go left. I found out playing around if u actually upset the car a bit you get weight transfer and get the rear end to slide. Just turn right a bit then hard left to get that big *** to slide a bit more. Vise versa for a right turn. Play around with your entry into corners. But most of us used to driving FWD have a feel for the normal limits of fwd cars. But these cars arnt normal fwd.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

NOPE, WE ARE NOT NORMAL THATS FOR SURE....I pushed the limits of the whole ratio all four corners...I went with Nitto Extreme Perf. 555 Directional 275/40ZR18 Up frt. and 245/45ZR18 in the back....they are so soft and get warm so easy...the hook up is great...it launches like a rocket...;which hence why im going to get this tranny worked on, and is solid as a tank with low cabin noise on the road...even over 80....those OEM Potenza's would start to scream like wounded animals under your car over 45 LMAO....but if you want straight lines...go the super soft 275/40 on da frt my man...no probs at all....cornering is outstanding as well...im in the process of a big build for this car right now....got a lot of numbers that will be coming through in the tune section and tranny etc...this will be for the tires I guess...I have STB frt and bk enroute with diags....we will see how this works with the cows I put on....but your right about weight..i guess it depends whats more important to you...hooking up and beating the other guy out the box with a reaction time.....or being able to stay ahead....I like hooking up myself....remember too...lol HP is only a little number in the big scheem of things....my goal is more torque and hooking up and then hitting the HP in the 60ft time...and progress and let this girl do its long tooth magic from there...you can win races off of reaction time alone complimented by excellent torque and HP numbers in the mid and high end....just opinion though...sorry guys...you know im long winded..if you have read some of my stuff...im working on that crap...lol...this kind of turned tune too didnt it...sorry...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

**** you got 275's on the front crazy they dont rub? im just buying rears right now i got those perellis should be here friday, i only autocrossed that one day for the car craft street machine of the year comp this summer im going to be all about the 1/4

Search this Thread