Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have the Trinity 4L80E Transbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Anybody have the Trinity 4L80E Transbrake?

I'm curious if anybody has it in a functioning transmission yet?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

We are working on and AUTO version of it now.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Let me know how it works for you.

I built a 4L80 for a customer using the manual VB kit and brake. I'm curious what others experiences are particularly with the manual kit and brake.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have an issue with transmission or the brake? Just curious. Vince
Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

The VB/brake has been on two transmissions trying to sort it out.
Actually on VB #3 now also.

The brake itself works, but I'm having a weird issue with pressure in reverse. It's spiking up and down.

Trans has a new Sonnax Boost valve.

Trinity has been more than helpful, and this valve body is actually one they built up.

I've looked at the circuits and everything looks good "on paper" to me, it should work, but I want to hear from someone else who has succesfully used the manual VB/brake.

This particular trans will be getting a different VB/brake as the next step to diagnose/resolve the reverse issue.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got their brake, but I went auto this time. I should be putting it in the car this week. Hoping to make a race on Sunday to test it out. I'll report back.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Frank,
Thanks for answering my question. I know now I'm not completely crazy and can still build a 4L80

FireChikn,
Good luck with it. Please post your experiences when you get it in.

Last edited by jakeshoe; 03-18-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firechikn
I've got their brake, but I went auto this time. I should be putting it in the car this week. Hoping to make a race on Sunday to test it out. I'll report back.

Any results?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I started the car yesterday, but I have some tuning to do with the new controller. I should have some results soon.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Subscribing.... would like to see how this turns out as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Hoping to put one of these in soon.

-Dustin-
Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Keep watching...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

So nobody has it functioning?

I couldn't get it to work and have decided to go with another vendor.

Another professional builder had similar experiences as me and couldn't get it to work despite many hours of diagnosing and checking. Trans worked fine with a stock VB though..

As well as another enthusiast who has good pressure and can't get it to work.

Odd issues like pressures spiking, no reverse, locking up in forward gears, mismachined parts.

I'll let the others post their own experiences if they want to but I give the 4L80E Transbrake a big thumbs down.
It seems to have serious design flaws that will at a minimum cost you a transmission and could cost a life with the locking up in forward gears issues.

I have over 100 hrs of personal time in "R&Ding" this transbrake. Admittedly one mistake of my own (due to mismachined part) was half of that.

I hope this helps others make an informed decision.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
So nobody has it functioning?

I couldn't get it to work and have decided to go with another vendor.

Another professional builder had similar experiences as me and couldn't get it to work despite many hours of diagnosing and checking. Trans worked fine with a stock VB though..

As well as another enthusiast who has good pressure and can't get it to work.

Odd issues like pressures spiking, no reverse, locking up in forward gears, mismachined parts.

I'll let the others post their own experiences if they want to but I give the 4L80E Transbrake a big thumbs down.
It seems to have serious design flaws that will at a minimum cost you a transmission and could cost a life with the locking up in forward gears issues.

I have over 100 hrs of personal time in "R&Ding" this transbrake. Admittedly one mistake of my own (due to mismachined part) was half of that.

I hope this helps others make an informed decision.
It is pretty odd how I can put the VB you sent me on a vehicle and it functions fine and there are many others out there that are working. Loking if forward gears was due to the part you left out. One part was .03" over spec. a simple phone call would have resolved that. Instead of just leaving that part out of the V.B. or trying to force it in. As for line pressure spikes in reverse most intelligent builders would not make an assumption on a forum until they were sure of the cause. Which you have not determined the cause at the moment. Internal leaks in reverse can be caused by numerous other problems. For example you send a person to change a PCS solenoid and P.R, line up. Well on 94 Valve bodies if you put a new PCS solenoid on with out drill the V.B you will have pressure issues. As the customer that you are working with stated the tech you sent did not even remove the V.B to modify or even inspect the gaskets etc... As with any v.b. kit no matter whom makes it they will have issues if there are mods from another product in the transmission. Also most shops that are into performance products dyno test there products especially if they are shipping them somewhere were they would have a difficult time diagnosing them. As I have stated send the parts back and you will get a refund. But before you air you dirty laundry on a public forum make sure you have all the facts.

Last edited by tptransmission; 03-24-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

The PCS was taken off another of the same type. It isn't a newer piece.

I do know the facts,
I know I have line pressure (after fixing the valve body YOU built and sent).
I know I have engine braking in manual low (band is applying tight, servo is functioning, and there isn't a leak on that circuit).
I have 3rd gear. That tells me the 3rd gear circuit has integrity, it's holding the same pressures as the other gears.

If I have good pressures and everything works in manual low and 3rd, a reverse issue would have to be in the VB or boost valve.
The trans has a NEW pump with a NEW Sonnax Boost valve.

It has an issue with pressures spiking up in reverse and then blowing back off.

Funny but another sponsor on here had almost the exact same issues with your brake in reverse, PLUS locking up in forward gears.

Another LS1Tech Member has no reverse.

I'm starting to see a trend here. The trend is apparently that nobody but YOU can get your brake and VB design to work, and in that case, even the one YOU sent me doesn't work.

Want to wager the costs I have incurred trying to R&D your junk that a stock VB will work fine on the trans I'm having issues with?
I'm about $4K into this at this point in time, care to make that wager?

How about YOU take the time and spend the money and go fix this unit, if you are SO sure it will work, I'll buy the plane ticket...

I've already spent $4K in parts and time trying to make this trans work, what's another $500 for a plane ticket...

This post has been up almost a week and NOBODY has posted that they got it to work, but there are 3 of us with similar problems. Coincidence?

The other professional builder said his unit worked fine with a stock VB. Must be a pressure issue then right?

There is a pressure issue, but it is a design flaw.

I've done all the simple checks I need to on this deal, one of them being posting this question here.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
The PCS was taken off another of the same type. It isn't a newer piece.

I do know the facts,
I know I have line pressure (after fixing the valve body YOU built and sent).
I know I have engine braking in manual low (band is applying tight, servo is functioning, and there isn't a leak on that circuit).
I have 3rd gear. That tells me the 3rd gear circuit has integrity, it's holding the same pressures as the other gears.

If I have good pressures and everything works in manual low and 3rd, a reverse issue would have to be in the VB or boost valve.
The trans has a NEW pump with a NEW Sonnax Boost valve.

It has an issue with pressures spiking up in reverse and then blowing back off.

Funny but another sponsor on here had almost the exact same issues with your brake in reverse, PLUS locking up in forward gears.

Another LS1Tech Member has no reverse.

I'm starting to see a trend here. The trend is apparently that nobody but YOU can get your brake and VB design to work, and in that case, even the one YOU sent me doesn't work.

Want to wager the costs I have incurred trying to R&D your junk that a stock VB will work fine on the trans I'm having issues with?
I'm about $4K into this at this point in time, care to make that wager?

How about YOU take the time and spend the money and go fix this unit, if you are SO sure it will work, I'll buy the plane ticket...

I've already spent $4K in parts and time trying to make this trans work, what's another $500 for a plane ticket...

This post has been up almost a week and NOBODY has posted that they got it to work, but there are 3 of us with similar problems. Coincidence?

The other professional builder said his unit worked fine with a stock VB. Must be a pressure issue then right?

There is a pressure issue, but it is a design flaw.

I've done all the simple checks I need to on this deal, one of them being posting this question here.

Without trying to give you a simple hydraulics lesson on the 4l80e there are other paths in reverse that will cause what you are seeing. Just because you have manual low does not mean all circuits in reverse are good. I haven nothing to hide and stand behind what I sell, that is why I will openly respond to your slander. As for others with similar problems there are two that i am working on. One of the professional builders you speak of had pressure issue due to the plate being missinstalled, once that was corrected he had an issue with the brake staying on. He is sending the valve body to me. Like I have stated if there are any other modifications to the V.B. there will be problems just like any other product. I have talked with the professional builder and came to the conclusion that spring in the V.B is causing this concern same with the second one. Just like any other parts that people purchase such as trango kits etc.. I have read numerous posts were they have had installation problems. I would have no problem coming to you shop and fixing this problem. But since you feel it is a junk product then just ship it back.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tptransmission
Without trying to give you a simple hydraulics lesson on the 4l80e there are other paths in reverse that will cause what you are seeing. Just because you have manual low does not mean all circuits in reverse are good. I haven nothing to hide and stand behind what I sell, that is why I will openly respond to your slander. As for others with similar problems there are two that i am working on. One of the professional builders you speak of had pressure issue due to the plate being missinstalled, once that was corrected he had an issue with the brake staying on. He is sending the valve body to me. Like I have stated if there are any other modifications to the V.B. there will be problems just like any other product. I have talked with the professional builder and came to the conclusion that spring in the V.B is causing this concern same with the second one. Just like any other parts that people purchase such as trango kits etc.. I have read numerous posts were they have had installation problems. I would have no problem coming to you shop and fixing this problem. But since you feel it is a junk product then just ship it back.

I don't need a lesson in hydraulics to figure the odds on your brake working, lets see it's 0 for 3 at the moment with LS1Tech members, and if we count the actual transmissions and valve bodies used by myself and others to try to make it work, we're at about 0 for 8.
The initial issue with the VB I built (and the missing part that was sent to me mismachined) still had the reverse issue, it was one of the symptoms and not related to the missing 3-4 shift valve part.

I hope you stand behind what you sell because it seems you're going to be giving out some refunds.
Look up the definition of slander, it is making an untrue statement...
Are you claiming that you don't have any customers having issues with your brake and valve body? Because I have several emails and PM's as well as my own experience to the contrary.

I was told by the other builder that the plate was mismachined, not misinstalled.
Going from my own experiences having mismachined parts with your kit isn't a surprise.

Brake staying on sounds familiar also from the other person I spoke with. So are you saying there is a problem with the brake staying on (due to a spring) and there is an issue with the kit, maybe a design flaw...

The other builder is sending the VB to you, hopefully he has better luck with one you build than I have. Remember when you speak of "other modifications to the valve body" YOU built the one I'm currently having issues with. So did you not build it correctly? Why did you seem to think it needed to have the actuator limit valve reamed? Sent out junk maybe?

I've installed probably 16-18 of the TransGo 4L80E full manual kits. They are somewhat of a complicated install BUT they seem to work without issue. I can't say the same for your brake and manual VB kit.

The TransGo parts fit, are machined correctly, and work as advertised.
The kit could obviously be designed more simply if the trans was internally dual fed as you do with your kit. About 3/4 of the holes wouldn't need to be drilled.

Speaking of issues installing this kit on previously modified VB's. I called you when I installed it and asked about the TransGo Pressure relief, I was told it would be fine, then later after the unit didn't work, "Oh No, it won't work with that".

I'll be glad to ship the brake back as soon as I am able to get back to the customer's car.

Are you going to send me a virgin VB to replace your junk, refund the entire amount of the brake and shipping, and send out a call tag for your brake and valve body?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

Did anybody get one to work yet?

Jim,
Are you going to replace the valve body you sent me that also doesn't work with a virgin VB, refund the full purchase amount, and send out a call tag for your brake and valve body?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Wow this thread took a left turn.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default 4l80e trans

I have a TCI built 4l80e trans in a 67 Camaro, behind a crate motor 502/502. I has worked flawless from day one. It is a manual VB with a brake. No issues at all. Great shifts and great release from the brake. Highly recommend it if anyone is interested. I also have rode in a car with the new six speed version. Totally awesome. I wouldn't change a thing.

Quick Reply: Anybody have the Trinity 4L80E Transbrake?